User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Jbw5062 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Which Dr650?

ok guys so I decided I want a DR650 for my first bike. I will be using it 80% street with a few highway sprints and the occasional 20% fire roads if I am lucky.

I found a few at a good price and I was trying to spend around $2,000.

The first one I found was a 1997 http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/4077192413.html

The problem with this one is it needs a carb cleaning and has been sitting around in the garage. Hence the low miles. Also I know the base gasket on that year has a potential to fail. The good news is he is willing to take $1400. I figure for that price I can clean the carb myself and buy some things for a tune up.

The second one is a 2003
http://reading.craigslist.org/mcy/4116730063.html

this one is newer and has had the base gasket already changed and he has changed the oil regularly and has an upgraded seat. The mileage is higher than the 97, and it is more expensive. It does have a few upgrades but seems to be driven off road more.

Any advice would be great guys would you guys get the older garage kept one and use the money to fix it up over the winter or would you get the newer higher mileage one with the base gasket done?
Jbw5062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
I'll would pick the second one (2003) ...
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Jbw5062 OP
Adventurer

Thanks! anyone else?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Changing out a base gasket would indeed suck,might not leak though.

Id get the newer one if at all possible. Ive got an 03 with the updated base gasket and it has been 100% trouble free for 28000 miles so far.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Jbw5062 OP
Adventurer

Thank, That's what I was thinking. It might not leak. I am leaning toward the 97 just because the money saved could pay for the base gasket and more.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbw5062 View Post
Thank, That's what I was thinking. It might not leak. I am leaning toward the 97 just because the money saved could pay for the base gasket and more.
Even if it leaks, you don't necessarily need to replace it. You could just apply a bead of RTV.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Jbw5062 OP
Adventurer

good point! so that's not a big issue. I just have to take care of the carb. I was gonna try that seafoam stuff first to see if that helps. If not it doesn't seem too hard to clean the carb, but how do I know if that is the only issue? could the symptoms of a dirty carb be something that is actually worse? Also what are some other issues I should be looking at when purchasing the 97? I don't mind a little TLC, but I don't want a huge project bike
Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbw5062 View Post
good point! so that's not a big issue. I just have to take care of the carb. I was gonna try that seafoam stuff first to see if that helps. If not it doesn't seem too hard to clean the carb, but how do I know if that is the only issue? could the symptoms of a dirty carb be something that is actually worse? Also what are some other issues I should be looking at when purchasing the 97? I don't mind a little TLC, but I don't want a huge project bike
If you're comfortable doing your own work, I wouldn't worry about anything short of a tweaked/rusted-out frame. Even then, if you can weld/fabricate, I wouldn't even sweat that with a cheap DR. Parts can usually be sourced pretty easily from vendors or Ebay. Even an engine can often be sourced for under $1000.

I'd look carefully for bearing issues. Does everything structural with a bearing in it show stability and smoothness? Swingarm, hubs, steering head, etc.?

You might have to replace some rubber components on an older bike too. Brake hoses, intake boot, fuel hoses, carb parts, cush rubbers, tires, tank mounts, etc. may need attention.

I'd also inspect for issues with electrical components/functions. The wiring harness can be damaged by fraying, corrosion, and hacks by previous owners.

Take a look at both ends of cables and linkages. Throttle, clutch, footbrake, sidestand and other components can wear or corrode.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Jbw5062 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
If you're comfortable doing your own work, I wouldn't worry about anything short of a tweaked/rusted-out frame. Even then, if you can weld/fabricate, I wouldn't even sweat that with a cheap DR. Parts can usually be sourced pretty easily from vendors or Ebay. Even an engine can often be sourced for under $1000.

I'd look carefully for bearing issues. Does everything structural with a bearing in it show stability and smoothness? Swingarm, hubs, steering head, etc.?

You might have to replace some rubber components on an older bike too. Brake hoses, intake boot, fuel hoses, carb parts, cush rubbers, tires, tank mounts, etc. may need attention.

I'd also inspect for issues with electrical components/functions. The wiring harness can be damaged by fraying, corrosion, and hacks by previous owners.

Take a look at both ends of cables and linkages. Throttle, clutch, footbrake, sidestand and other components can wear or corrode.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! now I have a great idea as to what to look for