User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
A19pilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
F800 seat size vs VStrom seat size?

As the title states does anyone know how the 2 compare both in lenght and width? I have never seen them both side by side but I am sure someone here has.

I want a bike that I can do very occasional 2 up on, but I want something more dual sport oriented.

My wife and I are not small people so I am wondering it the F800 would be up for the occasional 2 up weekend afternoon jaunt.
A19pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by A19pilot
As the title states does anyone know how the 2 compare both in lenght and width? I have never seen them both side by side but I am sure someone here has.

I want a bike that I can do very occasional 2 up on, but I want something more dual sport oriented.

My wife and I are not small people so I am wondering it the F800 would be up for the occasional 2 up weekend afternoon jaunt.
The V-Strom seat is wider, and better padded but not longer. The F800GS seat is okay from the length and width for my wife and me (6", 155lbs; 5.7", 125lbs), but the padding is very uncomfortable. I'd get a replacement seat for any of those bikes if I'd go for really long trips. So far we live with the stockers.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
A19pilot OP
Adventurer

cug thanks for the input. I guess the wife and I will have to mosey on over the the Bimmer dealer and give it a test ride. I really would like to have the F800. I was thinking of getting the DL1K but honestly the only reason I was leaning twoards it was because of the occasional 2up requirement. The F800 looks like everything the KLR will be when it grows up and I am a big fan of the KLR.....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
The Vstrom seat has much better machine under it than the F800 seat.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
I've sat extensively on both and while the F800GS seat is stylish, functional, and perhaps better for off-road where you need to move around more, the Strom is definitely more roomy and comfortable, especially two-up. All-around, the Strom is a much better highway and two-up machine, but in the dirt, the GS is really in a entirely different class of bike. If you plan on doing much dirt, buying the Strom because it has a better seat would be the tail wagging the dog - you can fiddle with the seat in the aftermarket or just get off the bike more often, but you simply can't make the Strom approach the capabilities of the GS off-tarmac.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,364
From a girl's perspective, the stock F800 seat is narrow and may wind up giving you a wedgie after a day's riding. I've also ridden my husband's Wee with the stock and aftermarket seat. It was wider, but I'm not sure I'd say more comfortable. My husband's ST1100 with the Corbin seat was pretty nice, though.

Here are my recommendations: I didn't find the F800 seat particularly uncomfortable, however, I was riding 1-up.

I'd say you'll want an aftermarket seat on either. (Corbin or Sargent )

Look at weight capacity for each bike because I think the F800GS is rated higher. Also look at where yours and the passenger's feet go, because my daughter was dragging toes in the twisties on the back of hubby's Wee. My foot is kind of long (11 narrow) but I'd think any foot over a ladies size 9 would have to make a concerted effort to keep feet out of the riders way on the Wee strom and it becomes more difficult when there are sidebags behind your feet (though a nice set of Givi side bags provide great handles for the passenger as well as storage, so there is a strong reason to have them and a trunk...)

I'm personally interested in the F800GS, but that is because women often have less upper body strength than men, and I ride alone and with a passenger and prefer the weight distribution of that bike. The Wee strom is kind of top-heavy for me, but I can ride it alone. I'm just not comfortable taking a passenger. I like the power (the F800GS has more than the Wee strom) and it has more torque than the bike I currently ride and that is what I want...more torque.

Good luck. Oh, and we'd like pics...

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
hyak107
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I had a Wee and now own an F800. The stock seat on the Wee is much more comfortable, but I find it easier to slide around on the F8's seat. My butt starts to go a little numb after 60 miles, I usually have to jump off for a few minutes at around 100 miles. I have no intention of swapping it out, though, I bought the F8 as a dual sport and the seat fits that purpose. I can ride the same total distance on both, I just have to stop more often on the F8.

As markjenn said the F8 is in a different class of bike in the dirt. The F8 has a better suspension, is slightly lighter, but in my opinion the main difference is that the F8 feels a lot lighter and is much more nimble.

Ride both if you can.

hyak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
A19pilot OP
Adventurer

Did you ride 2 up on the Wee and the F8. Are the seats similiar as far as "roominess" is concerned?

I want a dual sport but still want to do the occasional 2 up afternoon ride with my wife...
Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I've sat extensively on both and while the F800GS seat is stylish, functional, and perhaps better for off-road where you need to move around more, the Strom is definitely more roomy and comfortable, especially two-up.
The Wee seat is not at all more comfortable for me personally (small butt), my wife likes the F800GS better as the height difference between driver and passenger is smaller and she doesn't feel exposed.

There also is not much more space to move around on the Wee, it's only wider.

We have both in the garage (my F800GS, my wife's Wee) and we ride both two up all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
All-around, the Strom is a much better highway and two-up machine,
In my personal opinion this is complete bullshit. The F800GS has

- much better brakes,
- better and much smoother engine,
- much more power
- more stable ride,
- MUCH better suspension (and the suspension on the F800GS still sucks!),
- more cornering clearance,
- better ergonomics,
- better weight distribution, lower CoG
- more precise transmission.

Overall it is the by far better bike. It is also MUCH more expensive, but that's to be expected, given the overall difference between the two bikes.

Both bikes have shitty OEM windshields, so we use Madstad + Givi on the Wee, Aeroflow on the F. Both seats aren't the best. For longer tours, both need replacements in my opinion.

The Wee has in a back to back comparison between the two (which I'm doing since August 2009) only these advantages:

- price (I don't care, it's my hobby),
- tubeless tires (and 19" front)
- larger tank

That's it. Some people say it's more reliable (I haven't had problems with any of the two), others say, it does the same as the F800GS for less money, which is true in the sense that a Toyota Corolla does the same as a BMW 335i.

Riding two-up I very much prefer the F800GS for about everything in the riding experience - power, transmission, smoothness, stability, ergonomics. My wife prefers the Beemer too, as it feels more stable at higher speeds. She doesn't prefer my riding style on the Beemer though, as it is quite lot quicker than on the Wee, as I gave up riding that one faster because of the lower clearance, and less stability.

I still love riding the Wee alone - it's a different experience, much less confidence inspiring, much less planted, but as I love riding overall, it doesn't matter all too much, and it has just the little tick better wind protection, so is a tiny bit quieter, but it doesn't have heated grips ... Nevertheless, as soon as my wife is more confident riding, we'll get her a F650GS Twin. That's her dream bike.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I'm quite qualified to help you here

Here's the seats, side by side, from above:

And from the side:
Old 04-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
The F800GS has

- much better brakes,
- better and much smoother engine,
- much more power
- more stable ride,
- MUCH better suspension (and the suspension on the F800GS still sucks!),
- more cornering clearance,
- better ergonomics,
- better weight distribution, lower CoG
- more precise transmission.
I agree with most of your post, except that bit. There must be something wrong with your wife's Wee - take it to the shop and have it checked, immediately!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
A19pilot OP
Adventurer

Raider thanks for the pics.... that was what I was looking for. I am going to head down to the stealer and have a test sit and ride. I am leaning heavily twoards the F800 becuase of the very occasional 2 up I will be doing...
Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I agree with most of your post, except that bit. There must be something wrong with your wife's Wee - take it to the shop and have it checked, immediately!
I have written that a couple times: as long as you stay below 5k rpm the F800 twin is much smoother than any Wee. As soon as you get above 5k rpm, the Wee vibrates less. As I do most of my traveling with my wife below 5k rpm, the Beemer has a lot less vibrations and in the complete range much more power.

The picture of the seats is interesting. As I said, the Wee is wider, but not longer. For us it doesn't matter, but we don't have the average US sized butts ...
Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
I have written that a couple times: as long as you stay below 5k rpm the F800 twin is much smoother than any Wee. As soon as you get above 5k rpm, the Wee vibrates less. As I do most of my traveling with my wife below 5k rpm, the Beemer has a lot less vibrations and in the complete range much more power.

The picture of the seats is interesting. As I said, the Wee is wider, but not longer. For us it doesn't matter, but we don't have the average US sized butts ...
Yeah I know, I was playin' around with you a bit. I like both bikes, but the 800 has enough pluses that the Wee doesn't get much action anymore. It's still a gem of a motor though.

The pictures I posted are a little distorted through the camera lens and the unnatural angle the seats are sitting on - the two seats are almost identical in length, the Wee's is a tiny bit longer, but the useful area on the 800's (that is, the length of the seat deck behind the up-the-tank kink at the front) is noticeably longer.

You have to balance that against the fact that the 800 pillion will have to wrap their legs around the fuel cell (quite wide) whereas the Wee's svelte waistline is more, well, Japanese than Bavarian. The 800 also likes its rider to sit further back than does the Wee, and punishes getting your junk too close to her box with hot radiator air on the knees and painful bruises from the crashbars when you hit the brakes.

If I were going to carry a pillion regularly, I'd rather do it on the Wee. I've said before I believe the 800 was engineered as a single-seater and changed by marketing folks at the last minute, hence the ghastly pillion peg brackets and lack of 1200-style rear cargo space.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
cug
--

Quote:
Yeah I know, I was playin' around with you a bit. I like both bikes, but the 800 has enough pluses that the Wee doesn't get much action anymore. It's still a gem of a motor though.
Agreed.

Quote:
ou have to balance that against the fact that the 800 pillion will have to wrap their legs around the fuel cell (quite wide) whereas the Wee's svelte waistline is more, well, Japanese than Bavarian. The 800 also likes its rider to sit further back than does the Wee, and punishes getting your junk too close to her box with hot radiator air on the knees and painful bruises from the crashbars when you hit the brakes.

If I were going to carry a pillion regularly, I'd rather do it on the Wee. I've said before I believe the 800 was engineered as a single-seater and changed by marketing folks at the last minute, hence the ghastly pillion peg brackets and lack of 1200-style rear cargo space.
Hmmm. Interesting. We mostly take the F800GS when going on a single bike. Mainly for the smoother rider, I don't have to squeeze the engine when going through some of those very tight and steep mountain roads in Northern California.

To give some comparison:

- My wife prefers the F800GS over the Wee as our "combined" space leaves a bit more room for her and she likes the foot peg position a tiny bit more.

- If I have the BMW Adventure Cases installed, she doesn't like it as it doesn't leave a lot of space for the feet.

- I prefer the F800GS for two because of the better suspension, more power, lower rpms needed, better brakes.

We both preferred any of our bikes for two up over an R1200RT we test rode three weeks ago for a single reason: noise. The F800GS with Aeroflow and the Strom with Givi + Madstad are both less noisy and have better air management around the helmet than the R1200RT in standard trim. A third party shield solves that though and then the differences are:

- More space
- Better seat
- Better lower body wind protection (it was cold that day)
- Heated seats
- More foot space with luggage

I think that overall, Wee and F800GS are great touring bikes alone and can both easily handle two up. But if you go more than 50% two up a different bike is probably a better choice than any of the two.