Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH
Lots of advice, here's my $.02.

If you are a indoor person without a lot of outside activity's, I would carry your meter with you on the first trip. Check yourself every time you stop. "I know it will be a pain". After a couple of days you will recognize certain feelings with a blood sugar level.

Just remember,what feels like a low blood sugar level might just be a lower than normal level for you.
Again, people with Type II diabetes rarely have low blood sugar. What's so difficult about understanding this?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
I would look at something like this for you pens.

http://www.insulincase.com/Poucho-Co...llets-P62.aspx or this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Y5C6MKJSY34BDT

My Uncle was diabetic for years and used a similar setup, that my neighbor now uses with no issues. As long as you have it balanced and under control, just make sure to follow all your diet and dosing regimes. I regularly travel with my neighbor, who had ben diabetic since age 17, with the only problems being when he doesn't eat properly or doesn't use his insulin.
Type II diabetics rarely need insulin. In fact, their body makes more than sufficient insulin, it's that their cells are resistant to insulin because of metabolic disorders. Type I diabetics produce no insulin in the pancreas, therefore, they require insulin so that the cells can absorb glucose.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #33
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
Type II diabetics rarely need insulin. In fact, their body makes more than sufficient insulin, it's that their cells are resistant to insulin because of metabolic disorders. Type I diabetics produce no insulin in the pancreas, therefore, they require insulin so that the cells can absorb glucose.
I am not arguing that point, the OP stated he used the pen, that is why I reccomended the cases. I do not claim to be any type of expert, I am just speaking from limited experience. The biggest issue with any disease is making sure to follow a treatment plan laid out by , the treating, physicians.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR

ggrjr screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 03:59 PM
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #34
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I am not arguing that point, the OP stated he used the pen, that is why I reccomended the cases. I do not claim to be any type of expert, I am just speaking from experience. The biggest issue with any disease is making sure to follow a treatment plan laid out by their physicians.
Are you sure the OP wrote about the pen? I'm not seeing it. But if he did, and I'm missing it, then he doesn't have Type II diabetes.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #35
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Yes. He said Levemir. From their website it states "Levemir is a long-acting insulin for children and adults with type 1 diabetes – and adults with type 2 diabetes that provides up to 24 hours of blood sugar ..."

http://www.levemir-us.com/

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR

ggrjr screwed with this post 04-19-2010 at 09:03 AM
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #36
KSH
LurKer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Again, people with Type II diabetes rarely have low blood sugar. What's so difficult about understanding this?

Explain what you just posted. You did not read my post.

"Just remember,what feels like a low blood sugar level might just be a lower than normal level for you."

I'm beginning to believe you are not a doctor, just a student. You are stating a lot of facts, but seem to have very little real life experiences with people with type II or don't bother to listen to them.

I have type II, I know my experiences, and every bodies will be different depending on there lifestyle.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcoop
\, \ could NOT sell syringes with out one. .

That changed last fall. A script is no longer needed in PA.

-Pharm Tech
Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #38
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH
Explain what you just posted. You did not read my post.

"Just remember,what feels like a low blood sugar level might just be a lower than normal level for you."

I'm beginning to believe you are not a doctor, just a student. You are stating a lot of facts, but seem to have very little real life experiences with people with type II or don't bother to listen to them.

I have type II, I know my experiences, and every bodies will be different depending on there lifestyle.
You have no idea who I am, so make whatever baseless commentary you would like. I don't actually give a shit. What you know about me would barely exceed what I know about you...which is nothing.

As for Type II diabetes, low blood sugar is not part of its pathophysiology. Even Wikipedia, which is about the most worthless source of medical information, gets this part right. You may want to believe in whatever you want, because people believe in all kinds of pseudoscience and internet gossip. But the data supports the lack of usefulness in taking blood glucose levels in Type II diabetes.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. He said Levemir. From their website it states "Levemir is a long-acting insulin for children and adults with type 1 diabetes and adults with type 2 diabetes that provides up to 24 hours of blood sugar ..."

http://www.levemir-us.com/
Flew right by that.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton
That changed last fall. A script is no longer needed in PA.

-Pharm Tech
and what was it about the words "until last year" that did not register with you ??? when quoting, plz read and quoate the ENTIRE sentence.....

thanks for your consideration.....bill cooper (PHARMACIST)
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #41
KSH
LurKer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
You have no idea who I am, so make whatever baseless commentary you would like. I don't actually give a shit. What you know about me would barely exceed what I know about you...which is nothing.

As for Type II diabetes, low blood sugar is not part of its pathophysiology. Even Wikipedia, which is about the most worthless source of medical information, gets this part right. You may want to believe in whatever you want, because people believe in all kinds of pseudoscience and internet gossip. But the data supports the lack of usefulness in taking blood glucose levels in Type II diabetes.

Make sure your malpractice insurance is current.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #42
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH
Make sure your malpractice insurance is current.
Hahahahahaha. Oh that's a good one. Never heard that before.

You do realize you still don't know what I do or don't do in life.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #43
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

Have any insulin dependent inmates done a long distance/time trip through South America for example?

Wondering how you packed enough insulin for that length of trip or if you found places where you could pick some up along the way. The bag or thermos idea is a good one, but still trying to envision the logistics of keeping that much medication cool for a very long period of time and ending up in places of high heat/ humidity with no ice and only the water that I've brought with me.

Also if you accidentally freeze or overheat your insulin if there are any options.

By the way I'm type 1 for over 35 years now and just switched to the pump about a year ago. If you're not using the pump, find a way to get one. It is that good.
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #44
sleemanj
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
Have any insulin dependent inmates done a long distance/time trip through South America for example?
By the way I'm type 1 for over 35 years now and just switched to the pump about a year ago. If you're not using the pump, find a way to get one. It is that good.
My first post at ADV after a long while as a lurker, and it has to be about diabetes, such is the life of a type 1.

I've been type 1 for 15 years I think, or is it longer, the years merge after a while... anyway more recently my old dreams of a grand escape from Deadhorse to Ushuaia (or at least Mexico down), have been edging in my mind closer to possible reality (not getting any younger blah blah).

Like you, insulin availability is close to the top of my (lengthy) list of problems to solve or at least understand. It would be helpful to know where insulin can be purchased over-the-counter and what insulin is available where.

I imagine it's a matter of there even being insulin available in some of these countries - at all, even for the locals.

I'm a kiwi and I figure I could get 2 to 3 months out of my own doctor before I left NZ (normally we are prescribed 3 months worth at a time, but pick it up in monthly installments) and that would, might, possibly, get me into Central America.

I have read somewhere, maybe here even, that insulin can be purchased over the counter in Mexico maybe. Of course, what insulin is a different question. Worst case I expect is that I'd have to break the trip and fly to whatever country (or home) in order to replenish supplies.

Carrying insulin with me, I figure a few frio packs would do the job sufficiently to extend it's non-refrigerated life for long enough. Of course that's assuming I don't decide to buy a URAL and stash a mini peltier cooler in the hack, problem solved, and cold diet coke too boot ;-)

Of course, the supply would have to be split for safety, travelling solo, as seems most likely for me at least, could present challenges in that, but if there were two or more riders, having somebody else carry a couple weeks supply in their pack would be smart as a backup.

As for a pump... basically zero funding for these generally in NZ and the costs of purchasing and running one privately are too high for most. I'm not sure if a pump would be enough of an advantage on a trip to justify the cost, in fact, I could see that it could become a problem, just one more thing that could break down.
sleemanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #45
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

I''d be worried about either freezing the insulin due to it being in a cooler with ice or overheating it. I am not aware of a way too pack this kind of thing in a temperature regulated environment on a bike. Wouldn't be so bad but if by chance you managed to destroy a 3 month supply it would be a real problem if you can't purchase any locally. Nearest hospital would be my first instinct.

That being said this stuff's shelf life seems to be better than the doctor's claim. Going camping in a tent for a week has never been a problem in my experience anyway. So you don't have to be super vigilant. I just want to know what other people have done and what they recommend for an extended journey into desert and tropical countries. Living in a cooler climate has undoubtedly skewed my impression of what this stuff can handle.

As for the pump, I got lucky in that my company's health plan covered it and my monthly expenses. But having used one for almost a year now, I can say that if i had to pay for it myself it would be worth it.

As for something else to break down on a trip, Medtronic will supply any traveller's with a backup unit if they request one. And of course carry some syringes if all else fails.
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote