Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Apostolos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I don't understand this RON/MON stuff...

The manual says RON 91, 89 AKI,(95 ROZ/RON)...

I have no idea what any of that means and I don't feel like trying to figure it out.

Who wants to help me be lazy and give me the answer? When i go to the pump what octane should I select here in California, e.g., 91, 87, etc.?

Thanks.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 872

go with the 91, any higher than that your wasting your money.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Wikipedia is your friend here - part of interest to you highlighted in red

Quote:
Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load as it is done at 900 rpm instead of the 600 rpm of the RON[2][3]. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Anti-Knock Index (AKI)

In most countries, including all of those of Australia and Europe the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States and some other countries,[which?] the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2.

Difference between RON and AKI

Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the rating shown elsewhere in the world for the same fuel.
So, if the manual calls for 91RON, and you live in the United States, use the pump labelled "89". The F800GS calls for 95RON, which would be labelled "91" on the pump in the US.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Also, if you remove the seat and look back in the open cavity where the rider's manual fits, there's a sticker. This sticker has some standardized information about the bike, including what the AKI should be for the fuel. It says use minimum 89 AKI.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Also, if you remove the seat and look back in the open cavity where the rider's manual fits, there's a sticker. This sticker has some standardized information about the bike, including what the AKI should be for the fuel. It says use minimum 89 AKI.
Really? In Oz, it calls for min 95RON (91AKI), unless you have the "optional 91RON fuel map" (which is a two-second computer recode by the dealer, and knocks 2kW off peak power according to the BMW Australia spec sheet). I hope that something like the GS-911 Pro will allow this to be done at home, but I currently have a good dealer who will do it for free if I'm heading out bush where only crappy fuel is available.

The implication would be US-market bikes are shipped with this recode already done, and hence could have the better (more powerful, higher compression) map selected as an upgrade?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,902
Just an FYI, while out in the rural USA I ran many tanks of "87 octane" as that was all that was available. I never noticed any difference at all. No power loss, no pinging. I rode at various elevations to over 13,000 ft.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Apostolos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So what I'm reading here is that 91 octane in the United States is what's recomended for the F800gs. Correct?

My manual says RON 91 as OE (optional equipment), and then is says, 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON) super unleaded.

91 octane is what's recommended? Thanks.

God Bless,
David
Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
My fuel filler says Min 89 octane (AKI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Just an FYI, while out in the rural USA I ran many tanks of "87 octane" as that was all that was available. I never noticed any difference at all. No power loss, no pinging. I rode at various elevations to over 13,000 ft.

Out west at higher elevations you'll often find 85 octane as the "low octane" selection at the pumps. Because of the lower pressure at elevation, you can run lower octane w/o problems (compared to sea level).

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos
So what I'm reading here is that 91 octane in the United States is what's recomended for the F800gs. Correct?

My manual says RON 91 as OE (optional equipment), and then is says, 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON) super unleaded.

91 octane is what's recommended? Thanks.

God Bless,
David
No, other way around. If it's recommending "89 AKI", then choose the pump with 89 written on it (in North America).
Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Apostolos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry if I'm trying your patience, but earlier you said, "if the manual calls for 91RON, and you live in the United States, use the pump labeled 89."

I believe the manual is calling for 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON).

Given that information you said, "If it's recommending "89 AKI", then choose the pump with 89 written on it (in North America)."

How can 89 AKI and 95 ROZ/RON both equal 89 octane at the pump when you said earlier that 91 RON called for 89 octane? Sorry I've made this so convoluted.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 07:36 PM
Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Sorry if I'm trying your patience, but earlier you said, "if the manual calls for 91RON, and you live in the United States, use the pump labeled 89."

I believe the manual is calling for 89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON).

Given that information you said, "If it's recommending "89 AKI", then choose the pump with 89 written on it (in North America)."

How can 89 AKI and 95 ROZ/RON both equal 89 octane at the pump when you said earlier that 91 RON called for 89 octane? Sorry I've made this so convoluted.

God Bless,
David
Sorry, I mis-read your post above. You have the same arrangement as me: the higher octane is standard, lower octane is an optional map. I mis-read that and thought it might be reversed.

You're correct - you need the 91 pump.

Although, as someone above mentioned, the bike is equipped with knock sensors and variable ignition timing, so using lower if it's all you can buy won't hurt.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Apostolos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Sorry, I mis-read your post above. You have the same arrangement as me: the higher octane is standard, lower octane is an optional map. I mis-read that and thought it might be reversed.

You're correct - you need the 91 pump.

Although, as someone above mentioned, the bike is equipped with knock sensors and variable ignition timing, so using lower if it's all you can buy won't hurt.
Thanks for the help. 91 it is.

However, I thought I read somewhere that knock sensors were not configured into the F800gs design?

God Bless,
David
Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Thanks for the help. 91 it is.

However, I thought I read somewhere that knock sensors were not configured into the F800gs design?

God Bless,
David
Knock sensors, O2 sensors, EGT sensors, CHT sensors... they all achieve the same thing (monitoring combustion) via different methods. I don't know what particular sensors the 800 has, but experience says it will cope with low-octane fuel without knocking, exploding, or turning into a KLR.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Apostolos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Knock sensors, O2 sensors, EGT sensors, CHT sensors... they all achieve the same thing (monitoring combustion) via different methods. I don't know what particular sensors the 800 has, but experience says it will cope with low-octane fuel without knocking, exploding, or turning into a KLR.
Thanks again.

Quote:
but experience says it will cope with low-octane fuel without knocking, exploding, or turning into a KLR.
I just sold a KLR to help purchase the F800gs I just rode home form the dealers yesterday. They certainly are two different beasts that's for sure.

God Bless,
David
Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Thanks again.

I just sold a KLR to help purchase the F800gs I just rode home form the dealers yesterday. They certainly are two different beasts that's for sure.

God Bless,
David
Great choice! I bought the 800 sort of on impulse, and now sleep on the couch until the Wee is sold :)