Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #46
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
one tank after the 600 mile service during the winter and it got worse with each tank until it would start with only one piston and then got worse and would not start again with less than 1,000. miles on her. I am now at 5,200. miles and have had no issues using Seafoam. I believe it keeps the fuel pump and lines from corroding and clogging the fine mist injectors.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #47
oclv454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerTim
So to summarize if I put in about 4 oz of Sea Foam or Techron each time I fill up I should be able to avoid this issue?
I only have about 230 miles on my bike.
About how many miles were on your bikes when this started happening?
I want to be ready will watching my bike when it hits that many miles...
The tech at Sierra BMW suggested every 3 or 4 tankfulls. The design of the F800GS tank makes it a pain to fill anyway, and now having to put in fuel additive makes it even more so. The filler neck is just a bit larger than the nozzel of the pump hose. Now with the vapor caps on the hoses you can't really see in the tank to see how it is filling. You also have to jiggle the vapor cap around the gas cap. The first time my bike wouldn't start the dealer suggested that I filled it too full. I may have, but it is hard to get it just right because you can't see what you are doing. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #48
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
Best Price on Seafoam $6.35 per 16 oz. can with shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JN2EU?ie=UTF8&tag=webbikewcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002JN2EU

Quoted from Seafoam Sales:

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a unique 100% pure petroleum oil product...
You can take a look at what's in Seafoam right on their website, the govt makes them publish the "MSDS" for it:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/componen...17/view,folder

Basically:

* Pale Oil ~50%
* Naphtha ~30%
* IPA (Isopropol Alcohol) ~15%

"Pale Oil" from what I can find is simply a good quality light-weight machine oil... you know the other two components...
I ain't say'n it doesn't work, I'm just say'n it ain't a complicated formula...
I guess I'm also saying it appears to me there's a dang good profit margin in it ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #49
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Question The Cause?

I'm curious about what is causing this...

Is it simply the quality of gasoline in the US?

If so why haven't more people experienced this problem?

Does it have something to do with how a person cares for their bike? Riding habits? Habit of filling tank too full?
Although I would say this is doubtful because the impression I get from these posts are that the individuals who have experienced this take very good care of their bikes.

Or could it be that some of the F800's are lemons?

What are your thoughts?
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #50
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
I'm curious about what is causing this...

Is it simply the quality of gasoline in the US?

If so why haven't more people experienced this problem?

Does it have something to do with how a person cares for their bike? Riding habits? Habit of filling tank too full?
Although I would say this is doubtful because the impression I get from these posts are that the individuals who have experienced this take very good care of their bikes.

Or could it be that some of the F800's are lemons?

What are your thoughts?
it's completely hit and miss. You can go years without getting a bad tank of gas, but all it takes is one paticularly bad tank full, and you will have problems.

The USA mandating alcohol in fuel, and failing to police the quality of what stations are pumping is a big contributing factor.

I am not impressed with the quality of fuel pump or injectors on the F800, but these issues are happening to every make and model of bike, car, and truck.

The people posting in this thread are a small minority of F800 owners that have had this issue. I'm sure there are hundreds of members that have not.

When I was working for Volvo a few years back, we saw exactly the same issues.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #51
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Hey folks,

Just to let you guys know this problem is also happening on the G650 X bikes. There have been numerous posts over on the Thumpers forum about this. I have an X-Country and have started having the same issues after 3500 miles. I live in Canada and our fuel comes from the refinery down the road, however I don't think there is an ethanol in our gas, and I always use 90 octane. I just had in for servicing so we'll see what happens.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #52
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
You can take a look at what's in Seafoam right on their website, the govt makes them publish the "MSDS" for it:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/componen...17/view,folder

Basically:

* Pale Oil ~50%
* Naphtha ~30%
* IPA (Isopropol Alcohol) ~15%

"Pale Oil" from what I can find is simply a good quality light-weight machine oil... you know the other two components...
I ain't say'n it doesn't work, I'm just say'n it ain't a complicated formula...
I guess I'm also saying it appears to me there's a dang good profit margin in it ...
So they're adding alcohol to fuel with alcohol in it, to combat the effects of alcohol in the fuel?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Well yeah... but it's a different KIND of alcohol.......
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #54
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Why did you narrow it down to just Sea Foam & Techron?

I went to Walmart & they had a shelf full of various engine treatment cleaners. Most of them cost much less than Sea Foam.

Some of them are:
Sea Foam $8.97
Marvel Mystery Oil $12/gallon
Sta-bil $19.97/1 Quart
Prestone Gas Treatment $?

There are many others, so why did you decide on the Sea Foam?
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #55
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
Why did you narrow it down to just Sea Foam & Techron?

I went to Walmart & they had a shelf full of various engine treatment cleaners. Most of them cost much less than Sea Foam.

Some of them are:
Sea Foam $8.97
Marvel Mystery Oil $12/gallon
Sta-bil $19.97/1 Quart
Prestone Gas Treatment $?

There are many others, so why did you decide on the Sea Foam?
For me.... Quite simple.... Joel says so....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #56
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
There has been much discussion here and in the other F800GS forum about stalling. I have an occasional starting problem. Last week I rode the bike 90 miles. Shut it off for 5 minutes and it wouldn't start. After three tries without touching the throttle I finally gave it a little throttle and it started. I thought that was odd for a fuel injected motor. Yesterday, I rode 20 miles and stopped for fuel. I filled it and it wouldn't start. I tried three times, again without throttle and then finally some throttle. Still wouldn't start. I let it sit for 20 minutes and still nothing. It would turn over normally, but wouldn't fire and run. I tried at intervals for an hour while I waited for roadside assistance. The bike is now at the dealership. I had filled the tank to near the top, and found that while I was waiting for the tow truck and I was sitting on the seat (in the sun) and had the bike straight up, a little fuel was leaking out, I guess through a vented overflow. If anyone has had this I would appreciate any hints as to what you ended up finding. Thanks. oclv
I had a similar problem with stalling (09 F800GS ~7.5k miles). Stalled 6 x in one afternoon and when I finally made it home it would not start. Had it towed to the dealership via BMW roadside assistance. Computer did not show any fault codes. Dealership replaced the electronic fuel pump controller. Seems to work fine now...will try to put some miles on it to be sure.

Well, that wasn't quite the problem. Rode the bike 70 miles and stopped and it wouldn't start. I pounded on the fuel pump with my fist and got it to run. Shop replaced the fuel pump and it works now...

Motowalt screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 06:15 PM
Motowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #57
ULELUZE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
This first happened to me a few months ago then nothing. Now it seems to be a problem almost everytime I start it. I was stuck at a gas station for 20 minutes, yet for some reason when I bring it to BMW it starts fine.
I took a video of it to show to BMW service this time. Sure does make this Bike look like apiece of sh*t to everyone around when I try and start it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAqNNa6Gt9s
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #58
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 416
Your bike acts alot like mine did...

Next time it won't start, call BMW roadside assistance and have them pick it up, or trailer it to the shop yourself...don't continue to try to start it, because I think the weak fuel pump will eventually build up enough pressure to start...

When you get to the shop immediately show the service manager how it won't start, but don't prolong trying...

Have them put it on the analyzer or remove the seat and pound on the top of the fuel pump and if it starts that should show them the pump is bad...

Also call BMW NA and request assistance...it appears to be a common issue...
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #59
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I believe this problem is caused by the "cold start" valve associated with any fuel injection system. When the ignition is switched on ECU squirts some fuel into the throttle bodies so the engine can start and the fuel is then metered by the injection system. My Ducati behaved exactly as you describe both warm and cold. I found that if I cycled the key a couple of times (say three or four) before hitting the starter all was well. You could replace the cold start valve, but it would be expensive and unnecessary. If my approach works you could consider a warranty claim.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #60
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Tmex:

Our bikes have a third cold start injector or am I reading you wrong?

I have a mid-80's Toyota car that indeed has a "cold start injector" mounted in the middle of the intake manifold that serves that purpose, but most of the more recent designs I have seen (cars... not bikes) seem to just use the regular injectors to meet the same need....