Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
An idiot riding with Murphy, Cali to BA to California

Cali to Buenos Aires to California

In the beginning there was a plan, The rider looked upon the plan and declared it good. Then on the first day the Great Cosmos spoke: “Murphy thou shalt go forth and do your work, for you are the blood sworn enemy of The Plan”
Murphy arose from his work of vibrating important bits from motor bikes and set his gaze on the plan. Had he but known this the rider would have shuddered in his SIDI Combat touring boots. In his ignorance the rider believed in the Plan and went forth with Joy in his heart. Much like fools every where.
The plan was simple in concept, I would ship the bike to Buenos Aires, fly down to meet it, and together as boon companions we would ride home. On my way to BA I learned that the shipping agent had excecuted a massive fail. So epic in proportions that even Murphy chose to go and take a day or two off.
You all may have noted how well all your vehicles and plans worked in early March, you are welcome. You see the shipper seemed to think the most efficient way to get a bike to Colombia is to send it to Singapore. The problem is they failed to communicate this to me. So I am arriving in BA and the bike is in Singapore.
Much confusion, phone calls emails, and general angst happen under the amused eye of Sandra and Javier at Dakar Motos. I become a cautionary tail for all riders to avoid using surface freight.
The solution appears in the form of a bottle of scotch and a random rider who suggests I just go get a bike in Colombia and ride it to BA sell it and ride the F800 home.
It would appear that while Murphy slept the god of Irony took an interest in me. I had written somewhere that riding a brand new moto through Latin America was sub-optimal and that really the KLR 650 (pre redesign) was the thing to do. Well I would now eat my words, without mustard.
A couple of days and no real trouble with a plane flight to Cali, I am in possession of an 06 KLR. It will add a month of travel to my trip. and will get to compare the KLR 650, the mule of the motorcycle world, to the BMW F800GS, the mustang.
SO 30 days to get to BA and meet my BMW. I can do this. If I wanted a trouble free trip I would have taken a cruise.
I know you all want photos, They may be forth coming, as will links to any albums.

Let us begin this story where it becomes fun. Cali, Colombia a name that brings forth images of cartels and moto assassins. A lawless wild west of crime, revolution and corrupt government. NOT!!
It is a great place to start or end a trip.

My ride Report, I will finish it some day.

You pay your money, and you take your chances.

1983 R65 (sold to good home)
2001 Kawasaki Concours (Stacked and totaled)
1997 BMW F650 (Still rolling)
1987 kawasaki EX 500
2009 BMW F800 GS ('nough said)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (The Mule)

spqr screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 10:43 AM
spqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr
I have started a new thread as my journey has turned 180 degrees. More fun, more adventure. Now with twice the stupidity!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567990
Let me guess. You decided to join your bike in Singapore?
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,858
the link in post 2 leads back to this thread.... so... what did you do? It's an adventure before you even got on the bike!!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Your motorcycle shipping experience sounds so exactly like mine Let's see what happens next.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
cleanandjerk
RP3 Sweat Tester

Oddometer: 12
Mate! What a shocker!

Here's hoping that your new plan will provide you with a whole load of extra adventure as compensation :).

Hoping to catch you coming up as we head down.
cleanandjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Sandino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Nice

Will follow this, sounds great!!!, any plan on coming to Paraguay, let me know
Sandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
cleanandjerk
RP3 Sweat Tester

Oddometer: 12
Hey, where are you now?

How's the trip going?
cleanandjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got a little behind, and who could blame me?

I got a little behind, and who could blame me?

From Web published

Saying goodbye to Owen and Hanah, a pair of riders out of Australia, I mounted up on my new steed and turned on the tunes. To the sounds of Buckcherry's 'Lit up'. With the joy of a trip just begun I whacked the problem, stood on the pegs and rode off to the horizon.

From Web published

I rode north. Then found out I was heading north and turned around to head west. 10 miles later I found out I was heading west and headed south. I blame my southern latitude. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

A day to Popayan and then another to Pasto. A few friendly (very friendly) encounters with the local army. (note the pictures of soldiers in clown costumes) brought me to the border. I had a mission, 30 days to Buenos Aires. The Colmbian customs was a breeze. I even managed to reprogram my currency converter and convince the money changers that their exchange rate was wrong. Hey if it appears on a computer screen it must have come from god.... right?

From Web published

From Web published

From Web published

South into Ecuador. Another passport stamp, a four hour wait, and some photos to get over the border.

Next time... Ecuador and the four lovely ladies.

1987 kawasaki EX 500

spqr screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 10:44 AM
Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A bit late, but lets catch up

The road from Popayan to Past is gorgeous, and mostly protected by a skilled and professional Colombian military. With some small experience with evaluating soldiers I was impressed with everything I saw. They even have the best camouflage pattern I have seen in a long time.

From Web published

From Web published

From Web published

From Web published

From Web published

I have a thing for cathedrals after reading 'Pillars of the Earth'

From Web published

After yelling at me for some.... 'interesting' riding technique they wanted to pose for a picture. Who am I to argue? The KLR is quite the little rock star.

From Web published

This is not a good place to park, but the photo was worth it, if the camera had worked when I took the picture from the other direction.

From Web published

Ever wonder where all the uniforms the US Army is getting rid of went? Try Ecuador's border patrol... poor guys.

From Web published

This would get us through to my first border crossing.

1987 kawasaki EX 500

spqr screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 10:48 AM
Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On the Ecuador side of the border we have the required little border town. This is where I learned the lesson of pushing a few hours down the road. I really don't like border towns. Laying out a map I pick the next day's destination. Using a complicated formula I choose the town of Riobamba because the name sounds cool and rolls off the tongue. If I had a better map I would have chosen Banos because then I could have asked directions to it for the whole day.

The ride south dropped into a desert like environment.

From Web published

Not my favorite but not bad. Then the road just sort of merges into Quito. All I can say is F*&# QUITO! I did things to get through that town that would get me arrested in any civilized city. With no Road signs I simple pulled up to a car or motorcycle, popped my flip face up and asked “Donde es Riobamba?” I kept getting the 'just keep going this way' hand gestures.

Diving through traffic, grateful for not having panniers I rolled like ferret in a room full of hungry lions. Aggression, speed and violence of action, if you don't like how I ride then stay off the sidewalk. The giant Danish flag on the front of the KLR ensures that I don't lower locals opinion of the US (if that can happen) but if there is a war between Ecuador and Denmark you all know who to blame.

An hour and a half of the most dangerous and aggressive riding I have ever attempted later I stopped at a road side stand for lunch. The lady was so cool I chatted with her for a few minutes. Of course the mental comparison of her to a hobbit would effect the next two days of riding.

From Web published

1987 kawasaki EX 500
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still catching up. Ecuador is lovely, at least the highlands are.

From Web published

After meeting the little South American Leprechaun I saw where she had her pot of gold.

From Web published

In Cuenca I managed to get adopted for a few days by these ladies. A good thing too because my cooking is banned by the Geneva Conventions.
From L to R: Trueheart, Marianne, Ginger and Lorena. An article about them will be on my examiner page.

From Web published

From Web published

Eventually I made it to the last military check point before Peru. Note I am standing in a two foot hole.

From Web published

Next update will be from Peru.

1987 kawasaki EX 500
Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
SauS TaR-TaR
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 469

"The Road May End... But Brotherhood Is Never End..."
SauS TaR-TaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Peru, the border crossing was.... interesting, the brand new four lane highway is NOT the border crossing. The border crossing is in the middle of a market in the town.

If you run down the big highway you end up here, without Ecuador exit stamps.

From Web published

After a few wrong turns and a couple of hours of stamping paperwork I was finally in Peru.

From Web published

After that things got... less interesting:

From Web published

Except the cute traffic cops

From Web published

This is one of the more interesting sections of this road:

From Web published

So I really did not take a bunch of photos... until Nazca:

From Web published

Then the road got really fun, my advice, take the mountains, coastal Peru has all the joy of Southern California, without the charm.

1987 kawasaki EX 500
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
- love your writing style.

Subscribed
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
spqr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nazca is, well, a person should see it but I was not impressed... lines in the ground:

From Web published

That you see from a tower with overpriced souvenirs sold at the bottom:

From Web published

The road to Cuzco on the other hand... More fun than a tree full of monkeys on Nitrous Oxide! It has all the straight lines of a tape worm and views that cause are heart stopping:

(this is the more straight part)

From Web published

Remember to get your boots shined in every Plaza. If the kid thinks he is doing regular boots then sees your SIDI Combat Touring Boots, he looks at you like this:

From Web published

Further along are sights that would make one think of Scotland, except they have Llamas here.

From Web published

Pretty soon it drops into the valley floor, a series of long sweepers with each turn revealing more spectacular views.

From Web published

It was shortly after this that I realized my wallet was gone. But that is for the next post.

1987 kawasaki EX 500