Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #226
Todd2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasandasphalt
For a Quick rotor fix,,,,,, You will note that brake rotor material is soft metal and easily bent and can be put back into good useable condition by use of a small hammer, and using a piece of wood (small piece of 2"x4") as a back up.. (the maint guy at your hotel should be able to supply these to you...)

Holding the wood on the good side of the rotor, gently "TAP" the bent area back into original position... if it is not perfect, the rotation of wheel will press open the brake pads on the first or second rotation... thus you will have a front break for emergency use,,, it may be a little jerky when you apply the brake but you will adjust to the jerk, which may or may not bother you.....

after the hammer treatment, any sharp or irregular surfaces can be removed using a file ( spanish for file == LIMA)

just a suggestion from an "old Machinist"... good luck
I have to agree - fix it best you can now. I've used a 12" crescent wrench before, with the rotor still on the wheel (which had the hub bent out of true by .060"). It was surprisingly straight, considering what I started out with (and that bent hub). Just go at it slow and methodical. The end result has to be better than grabbing for a handfull of front brake in an emergency and getting nothing. In my case, I had little choice, since my left leg was kinda broken and I couldn't put it down during a stop (needed to keep RIGHT foot on rear brake to keep bike from rolling while stopped on hills).

Whatever you decide - good luck to you, and keep the reports comming.

Todd

Todd2 screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 11:23 AM
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #227
sasper
Just call me Sper

Oddometer: 118
Just want to let you know that I've been loving the RR. All of the places that you've enjoyed or highlighted are on my map of places to see when I take my trip later this year.

Keep it up!
sasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #228
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Day 46

I'm up and about early happy to know that Chris @ Dual-star.com is working on getting me a new set of brake pads and old brake rotor shipped down to meet me in Mexico. This mornings plan is to head north to the town of Flores, but not before stopping to see the Castle of San Felipe on the outskirts of town.

A quick drive see's me to a small gate at the end of a road which I wouldn't have expected to be the entrance to the park. I pay the small entry fee and walk in leaving my jacket and helmet with the guards at the ticket booth.

The first views of the castle fit perfectly with the images in my mind when I think about Caribbean castles and pirates. Its a small structure speckled with canons and ringed by palm trees and calm waters of the river.

Not more than maybe 3500 square feet of usable interior space inside the high castle walls this anti-piracy outpost was not huge by any means but at one of the narrower points on the river and bustling with cannons it was effective.

Time has taken its toll...

An hour of wondering around the castle in the early morning heat has me drenched with sweat. Did I mention already that Canadians aren't built for this kind of a climate?! Having seen the castle it was time to head for Flores.

Wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of this setup...

The ride takes about two hours and compared some of the other roads I've ridden in Guatemala this one s nothing special. The landscape changes from rolling hills to flat farmland and back again before I find myself in Flores.

Flores is a tourist hub of a town, its located on a small island in the middle of a lake and connected to shore with a small bridge. It takes maybe 5 minutes to circle the island on the one main street during which you can see that the entire island is made up of Hotels, Hostels, travel agencies and restaurants.

The bridge...

Nicely decorated street...

Spent a bit of time relaxing on the rooftop here...

I find a great little hostel across the road from the lake and check in before immediately heading out for a swim off the dock. Everyone is hanging out on the docks, I meet 2 Canadian couples and a group from Europe who have all been hanging out in town for 4 or 5 days now. Im not sure I could stay that long even if it is a nice spot.

Dinner and an internet cafe are the next priorities, I find both just a short walk from the hostel. A few deliciously refreshing (and super cheap) Mojito's and a bowl of spaghetti hit the spot as I sit on a little patio overlooking the lake and the sunset...

Mmmmm Mojito!

The sun sets on another day in Central America

BC, Canada to Panama on a clapped out KLR - 2010
Follow me via Spot: Click here!
IslandSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #229
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Day 47

Knowing that if I buy my ticket for the Tik'al ruins after 3pm it will be good for this afternoon as well as tomorrow, I have a lazy morning. I wander around town again and spend a little time at the internet cafe before taking a swim and then a quick nap all prior to check out time at 1pm.

After packing up the bike I head out of town only to have the extra taillight I had mounted prior to my departure, fall off... I pull into a parking spot beside the lake and size up the situation, the mounts i had made were fine, however, the plastic of the old taillight had obviously become brittle over the years and had let go. I could remove it all together but the stock KLR light is so dim I'm always worried about other drivers seeing it. Instead I break out the JB weld and decide I'll just glue the damn thing on.

JB Weld to the rescue!

Waiting for the JB weld to set up completely a nice mid morning thunderstorm moves in and manages to soak me in the 15 seconds it takesme to run back to the bike and don my jacket. I take shelter under a tree and wait for the rain to let up.

RAIN!

Fifteen minutes pass and the rain is still coming down HARD. Without so much as a break in the clouds all the way to the horizon I figure “Hey, its only rain...” and jump on the bike. 15 minutes out of town and thoroughly soaked from forgetting to close all the vents on my gear the rain stops and the sun comes out. Its a quick 70KM ride to Tikal Park but I'm nice and dry when I arrive.

With an hour to kill before the ticket changeover, the enormous black thunderclouds hanging in the distance promising more later and the only covered camping spots already taken I buck up and get a hotel room for the evening. It costs much less than I figured I would have to pay.

The Jaguar Inn is a nice spot with friendly staff, great food and cold beer. I get settled in and have a nice cold shower before heading out to buy my ticket and explore the ruins. The late afternoon and early mornings are the best times to see the ruins as most of the people haven't arrived yet or have already gone home. I count 6 other people in the park this afternoon on my walk around.

The walk in to the ruins...

Your first glimpse, impressive, even if it is the back side of the temple...

The front of the Temple...

The ruins are absolutely amazing! Climbing to the tops of the temples rewards you with amazing views and a sense of what life may have been like for the ancient Mayan kings. I'm told to see everything that has been excavated on site you have to walk at least 10KM's yet it feels like I end up doing double that amount.

Going up...

A nice view...

Yours truly relaxing...

At one point I thought the rain had started again but another visitor was making a fus about a money up over my head. As I stepped away to get a better view the “rain” stopped and I got a good look at a young spider monkey who continued urinating all over the tree I was just standing under.

Some wierd animal...

Pretty freaking cool! Who's that handsome man?

More Ruins

Chillin...

A four hour wonder in the park has the sun setting and me feeling a little hungry. I head back to the hotel and find myself a nice cold beer and some amazing steak stir fry while chatting to the other travellers and making a few notes in my journal.

Mmmm Food...

I fall asleep in the hammock outside my room listening to some music and watching the lightning bugs as they fly past dancing over my head.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #230
Morinite
KLRista

Oddometer: 116
Very cool man. My wife and I did a bus tour of Tikal about 10 years ago very cool spot to see history and old ruins. It rained on us the whole day there but that humidity was crazy, it's not for us Canadians at all. Keep going your doing great.

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #231
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,400
I'm still with ya, great report! (I gave ya 5 stars)

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #232
brianstanfill
has adventure

Oddometer: 188
Thanks for the ride report, Pat! I've enjoyed the read a great deal. One question: are you pleased enough with the PacSafe around your duffel that you would use it again and recommend it to others as a theft deterrent?

Cheers,
Brian

Tour of the Americas: August 16, 2010 - present
brianstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #233
tiernan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I'm pretty jealous of your border crossings. Mine were much worse all the way through...
It's funny how doing this trip you can stop at the same exact moments on the road for pictures, especially since there's no mapped route (or in my case no map at all south of Mexico). One of the spots in the highlands of Guatemala, my wallet was pickpocketed in Iguana's in San Juan del Sur, and I stayed in the hostel behind the camera in your beach picture and changed a tube exactly where your bike is. I also tried to get to the coast of Costa Rica, made a wrong turn, and wound up in San Jose. Even the $20 cash for the Costa Rican radar cop!! Good stuff-
Check out my ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534686
Old 06-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #234
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstanfill
Thanks for the ride report, Pat! I've enjoyed the read a great deal. One question: are you pleased enough with the PacSafe around your duffel that you would use it again and recommend it to others as a theft deterrent?

Cheers,
Brian
The packsafe is a great system, I use it everyday, its holding up very well and has served its purpose. By looping the packsafe cable through the rear rack before securing it with the lock I effectivly lock the duffle to the bike.

I've left it mounted and the bike parked on the street in some pretty scetchy spots if that says anything about my faith in the system... Nothing is theft proof, but to get my duffle now they's have to come prepared with some decent cable cutters and some time before walking away with it.

** Get the right size for your bag... They sell 55L, 55-85L and 85+L. I'm usinf the 55-85 on my 55L dry bag and its a little loose but lets me stuff my jacket or pants under itt as well if I dont want to take them somewhere**

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiernan
I'm pretty jealous of your border crossings. Mine were much worse all the way through...
It's funny how doing this trip you can stop at the same exact moments on the road for pictures. One of the spots in the highlands of Guatemala, my wallet was pickpocketed in Iguana's in San Juan del Sur, and I stayed in the hostel behind the camera in your beach picture and changed a tube exactly where your bike is. I also tried to get to the coast of Costa Rica, made a wrong turn, and wound up in San Jose. Even the $20 cash for the Costa Rican radar cop!! Good stuff-

It is funny, I call it the Gringo Trail, I've run across the same backpackers a few times in my travels, everyone see the same sights. I blame it on the travel guides... Sorry to hear about your border issues, Mexico to Guatemala was the only one I really got screwed around on...

Pat

IslandSpark screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 05:27 PM
Old 06-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #235
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Day 48

After chatting with Lauren and Mikheala last night during dinner I didn't expect to be the only one up and ready to hit the ruins at 6am when the park opened, but I was... With a piping hot cup of coffee from the yet to open restaurant I'm head to the park.

The damp earthy smells and vibrant jungle sounds engulf me on the 45 minute walk out to temple IV, the highest temple in Tik'al and furthest temple from the entry gate. I figured I would get some quality relaxing time on top of the temple without any other visitors to ruin it for me this early in the morning.

What a great spot to hang out and just take everything in...

The highest point in the park makes for an amazing view over top of the jungle canopy below. Wisps of mist still cling to the other temples jutting through the endless sea of green and the sound of birdsong mixed with howler monkeys off in the distance completes this perfect picture. I relax here for an hour just taking it all in before I head down the steep staircase and tour some of the smaller structures I hadn't found yesterday.

Stop staring at my ass...

Temple V again, I hadnt noticed the rounded corners on the terraces yesterday...

One of the ball courts...

I check out of the hotel room at 1pm and make the short drive to the Belizian border. The crossing here is the easiest yet, but its weird to be speaking to people in English again. With a check of all my luggage, a quick fumigation of the motorcycle and a stop for mandatory insurance I'm on my way again.

The river that seperates Guatemala and Belize...

Couple quick stamps here and I'm told to go find the red roofed house down the road for insurance.

Belize is instantly a nicer looking country. The people here seem to care about the appearance of their possessions, houses are kept in good repair, lawns neatly trimmed and the people are all very very friendly even if you cant understand the words that are coming out of their mouths.

Rolling on down the road...

Its getting late but I want to find a beach. I head for the town of Dangriga where my travel guide points me towards Val's Hostel. Its not much to look at but being just across the street from the ocean and the having a wonderful owner to deal with makes it all worthwhile. I pay $18bz for a bed in the dorms (about $9usd) where I meet a young couple from mexico and two twenty something Australian girls from Whistler, BC, Canada (not far from home) we all decide to go find somewhere to eat and over dinner share our travel stories and must visit places.

Val's Place, Doesnt look like much, but it works...

The town itself really isn't much to look at, neither is the beach. The market was vibrant and lively and the Riverside Restaurant was tasty for a good price. After dinner a quick walk through the market on our way back to the hostel has people trying to sell us all manor of useless junk.

The neighborhood...

River that runs through the center of town...

Trying to settle down and get some rest is tough when your in a room full of very confidant women strutting around in their skivvies, telling stories and laughing about the days events, eventually they get tired and with nothing blocking our view to the ocean from our beds we lay there listening to the waves break and allowing the constant sea breeze to cool us as we drift off to dreamland...

Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #236
Natest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
[quote=IslandSpark]

I find myself west of San Diego and driving along the beach a sign “San Diego Glider Port” catches my eye,I follow it down to some cliffs overlooking the ocean to find a zoo of people flying para sails and hang gliders off the cliffs. It made for some good entertainment and some excellent pictures.

um,,,, don't know if you knew this or if you don't care but,,,,,, below this is a nude beach,.. i'm jus sayin......
Natest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #237
drifter dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Anyone know any cool spots in Belize???
Dude, you're fired. You didn't do your homework and read my RR. I've got the Belize info you need a few pages in. In fact it's pretty much the only coverage on Belize to be had.. Read up bro! Link's in my Sig..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544121
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #238
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter dave
Dude, you're fired. You didn't do your homework and read my RR. I've got the Belize info you need a few pages in. In fact it's pretty much the only coverage on Belize to be had.. Read up bro! Link's in my Sig..
I did read it, right after I posted that actually... Unfortunatly I was well past the spot for the cave tour you guys did, that looked fun...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #239
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Mini update:

-Brakes fixed! nice to grab that lever and have something happen (Thanks Chris!)
-Xel-Ha, Tulum and Chetchen Itza are amazing spots
-Camera Died on me in Chetchen Itza today... Still under warrenty but that doesnt help for this trip, will buy a cheap digital at walmart or somewhere I guess...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #240
drifter dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Unfortunatly I was well past the spot for the cave tour you guys did, that looked fun...

Damn! Oh well, there's always next time. Nice writing man, keep it up.

Dorian

Ps - Bypass Tampico if possible but hit La Pesca near the border if it times out well..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544121
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote