Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #241
perrogordo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
How much time you got left? Uxmal is my favorite..The rounded shapes are different than any of the other Maya Ruins...Boy you really got moving after Belize.Merida is fairly modern city, in spite of that iI really liked it.
How are you coming out of Mexico? Palenque is another interesting stop.
Chiapas has many sights,Misol Ha water falls,Agua Azul cascades..Chiapas highlands are fun to ride.Can't go wrong here..
OK enough of my balthering...Have a good trip.

Las Vegas
perrogordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #242
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
did i miss something? why are you posting your updates on this dude's ride report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandSpark
Mini update:

-Brakes fixed! nice to grab that lever and have something happen (Thanks Chris!)
-Xel-Ha, Tulum and Chetchen Itza are amazing spots
-Camera Died on me in Chetchen Itza today... Still under warrenty but that doesnt help for this trip, will buy a cheap digital at walmart or somewhere I guess...

davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #243
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage
did i miss something? why are you posting your updates on this dude's ride report?
Because it's his (excellent) RR. Check post#1.

250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #244
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf

Might David be "420 friendly"?? Just askin'.......

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #245
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
no camera......awww that sucks. This has been a stellar report so far and the pics are definitely worth 1000 words. If you want to ship it back and use my address you can collect it in phoenix if you're coming through?
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #246
Indochine
'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer: 356
I see you have an iPhone or iPod, Pat. Are you finding any Wi-Fi links available as you travel?

Another question: what GPS model is that? Portable, right? Is it any good?

And I'm especially looking forward to any remarks on the performance of the KLR.

I guess you're going it alone, now, eh? Take care.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #247
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
Might David be "420 friendly"?? Just askin'.......
I'm thinking... Mayyybee...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant
no camera......awww that sucks. This has beaen a stellar report so far and the pics are definitely worth 1000 words. If you want to ship it back and use my address you can collect it in phoenix if you're coming through?

Bought a cheapie @ Walmart this morning, I dont like it but it takes pictures and thats better than my nice camera is doing right now... I will get the good one fixed under warrenty when im back stateside... Any chance of shiping a set of tires to your place and using your driveway to spoon them on as I come through? orare there any decent shops that stock some DS type tires around there??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indochine
I see you have an iPhone or iPod, Pat. Are you finding any Wi-Fi links available as you travel? Another question: what GPS model is that? Portable, right? Is it any good? And I'm especially looking forward to any remarks on the performance of the KLR. I guess you're going it alone, now, eh? Take care.

Yes, I have an Ipod touch with me for music and basic communication needs when I dont want to break out the laptop. Wi-fi and the internet are everywhere, you'd be amazed, even in the smallest central american towns you can find somewhere that has an open connection!

The GPS is a Garmin GPSMap 60Csx and it is a great unit, it's survived everything I could throw at it for the last two years mounted on my dirtbike and now this trip on the KLR, the screen is cracked, the power button is finiky but it keeps on ticking, would buy it again forsure!

As for the KLR, how can you go wrong? Its slow, its heavy and its Reliable! Check the oil and lube the chain daily, change the oil every 8000KM and keep the chain adjusted. Any cowboy will tell you that the horse comes first, then the saddle and the rider is last, take care of your machine and it will take care of you.

BC, Canada to Panama on a clapped out KLR - 2010
Follow me via Spot: Click here!
IslandSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #248
DaveCR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
WOW what a journey !

Too bad I found this post until today... but there are still a couple of days of adventure !

Ride Safe !
DaveCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #249
thevanrat
2009 KLR

Oddometer: 53
qUESTION

I stumbled onto this entire adventure late in the game. This is wonderful reading... QUESTION, what was the make and model of the camera you used for all the wonderful pics?

I read here lately that it croaked? I still would like to know the make-model, as i am planning a modest adventure and hate to have to carry a full size slr and walk_about lens.

wHAT was your cam?

"Why yes, the KLR is BMW's best selling dual sport".

thevanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #250
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
I'm thinking... Mayyybee...?

Bought a cheapie @ Walmart this morning, I dont like it but it takes pictures and thats better than my nice camera is doing right now... I will get the good one fixed under warrenty when im back stateside...

Glad you got that taken care of. It would be a bummer not to have the rest of the trip pictures to complete your great journey. Well done.
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #251
IslandSpark OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevanrat
I stumbled onto this entire adventure late in the game. This is wonderful reading... QUESTION, what was the make and model of the camera you used for all the wonderful pics?

I read here lately that it croaked? I still would like to know the make-model, as i am planning a modest adventure and hate to have to carry a full size slr and walk_about lens.

wHAT was your cam?
I have an SLR at home but decided that packing it for this trip was a bit much... I bought a Panasonic Lumix DSC ZS7 (or TZ10 same thing) its a great camera... 12 megapixels, 16x zoom, HD movies, full manual settings if you want and all in the palm of your hand forsure the best handheld point and shoot type cam I've ever used...

BC, Canada to Panama on a clapped out KLR - 2010
Follow me via Spot: Click here!
IslandSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #252
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
WOW! i got ride reports mixed up! ive been following this thread from the beginning, along with several others, haha, my apologies man!

keep up the good work!

sorry again, i'm a jackass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf

davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #253
chris91182
Bike whore

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Mini update:

-Brakes fixed! nice to grab that lever and have something happen (Thanks Chris!)
-Xel-Ha, Tulum and Chetchen Itza are amazing spots
-Camera Died on me in Chetchen Itza today... Still under warrenty but that doesnt help for this trip, will buy a cheap digital at walmart or somewhere I guess...

No problem Pat glad it got there in time.

Chris
Old 06-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #254
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,680
[quote=Ardyjay]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie

Hey Donnie
That's great you pointed that tube out. Someone else might have missed that hazard.
With your experience, maybe you could start a tire and tube thread?
I'll bet it would be hugely popular. I know there's a ton of interesting stuff in that subject, like how to patch a tube that stays good. Maybe home wheel balancing? Anyway just a thought.

I have weighed in a couple of time on some of the treads that were "discussing" tire issues, but the folks involved are normally more interested into blowing air back and forth at each other. The Shinko 705 is a classic example, after reading a lot of really "off the wall" guesses at what was occurring, I offered a "slightly" technical explanation of what could be happening. Keep in mind I was Production/Department Managers and over all Plant Manager and did not work directly in the Technical Department.

The technical comments from an experience tire manufacturer were totally un-recognized and the ridiculous banter continues. I learned my lesson, you can't provide a bit of technical expertize to guys that are only interested in playing some type game. Simple tire construction is much too boring for them!

But, if you have a question, I will be glad to offer an explanation. BTW, as far as tread separation such as the Shinko 705s have, there is a relatively simple methods used in the manufacture of passenger and light truck tires to prevent this. It may not be the actual problem in the case of the 705, but it is more realistic than the 'wild" ideas they were and are still batting around!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #255
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 17,599
Great ride report! Thanks for sharing.

Coatimundi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote