Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #331
bajadogs
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandSpark
Dave with the KLR 650 made it back to San Diego but decided the cost and timeline of the repairs was too much for him and opted to sell the bike ($1000 I think) and then continued his trip as a backpacker flying into Costa Rica where I had just missed him and then on to Panama and Columbia before he returned to Austrailla.

Patrick
Awesome read Patrick. I thought you might like to know Dave's KLR650 ended up in my garage for the summer. After my first engine tear-down it is now a 685 and I just kicked it over yesterday. It is a smooth ride once again and I'm very excited about all the upgrades making it ready for a big trip.
Peace,
Mark
bajadogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #332
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Very enjoyable - thanks much for taking the time to share!

I know so many of the places you posted pics of in Baja. In July I spent a very miserable four days broken down about 10 miles north of the military base north of Rancho Grande, El Huerfanito to be exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #333
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Not sure if anyone else has posted about these or not but this is the coatimundi. I first saw them in the Yucatan. Edit: Yeah, I see someone pointed that out on the next page.

Quote:
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.

TemeculaRider screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 02:26 PM
Old 09-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #334
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

We spend about a month every year in Playa del Carmen and I'm glad you got to go to Xel-Ha. The trick is to get your tickets at the stand inside Wal-Mart for $69 and be at the gate when they open in the morning. The food/drinks are incredible - as good as any cruise ship and the park requires at least a full day to experience. There are also four great cenotes about halfway between Playa del Carmen and Xel-Ha, our favorite being Jardin del Eden.

I'm planning on a nice trip to Copper Canyone in mid-Feb. '11. Thanks again for the enjoyable r/r.

Quote:
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #335
NokeOne
MyFreeImplants.com

Oddometer: 4

I love this RR. So well written. So well told. Really a great job all around.

Thank you!
NokeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #336
DevoDownunder
n00b

How's the bike??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadogs View Post
Awesome read Patrick. I thought you might like to know Dave's KLR650 ended up in my garage for the summer. After my first engine tear-down it is now a 685 and I just kicked it over yesterday. It is a smooth ride once again and I'm very excited about all the upgrades making it ready for a big trip.
Peace,
Mark
Hey Mark,

Finally got around to reading the end of Pat's report, and noticed that my bike is safely in your hands...Quite funny...what a small world...

Glad to hear the bike is working and ready to go on an adventure. Would be great to hear about your adventures on the bike.

So you just rebuilt the current engine or ended up replaing it?

Dave
DevoDownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #337
bajadogs
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoDownunder View Post
Hey Mark,

Finally got around to reading the end of Pat's report, and noticed that my bike is safely in your hands...Quite funny...what a small world...

Glad to hear the bike is working and ready to go on an adventure. Would be great to hear about your adventures on the bike.

So you just rebuilt the current engine or ended up replaing it?

Dave
Hi Dave,
I spent the summer rebuilding the engine. I bought new (used) cams, had the head machined, installed a 685 Schnitz piston to eliminate the oil sucking problem, new intake valves (old ones were bent), put the original exhaust back on. It runs great. Fast and smooth. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the rear shock seems too soft and sags a bit. It is visibly lower that my buddies stock 650 so I may need a new shock one of these days. Other than being my daily commuter I've only had one Baja adventure so far. No problems at all except one of the HT panniers bounced off a few times on the rough stuff. If you ever make it back to San Diego I'll let you take her for a run. Just check the oil mate!

Here is a video of my Baja trip -

http://youtu.be/PAcRNgD99Zs

Cheers,
Mark

Ps. I had no problems transferring title - thanks!

bajadogs screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 06:37 AM Reason: added Ps.
bajadogs is offline   Reply With Quote