User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Iron Butt SS1000 (Scotland pics)

OK, well it's about time I did a report on a ride where I used my own bike rather than some rental, so here's a wee bit about the Saddlesore 1000 I did on Sunday. The pics I took only come from Scotland as I had to get a wriggle on later on in the ride as I was behind schedule.

I'll post the pics and the rest later, but here's the route that I took; from Inverness to Thurso in the north east of Scotland, then along the north coast to Durness near the western tip and then down to the Yorkshire Dales and back via Newcastle and the east coast to Edinburgh, the Forth Bridge and home.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 02:20 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,367
Congrats on your achievement! Let's see some pics, or maybe there was no time for pics

Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got pix, will post asap!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
RedWolf
Corporate Zombie

Oddometer: 511
Don't leave us hang'in

Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, finallly a ride report featuring my own bike rather than some rented thing on a fly ride.

I've been interested in the Iron Butt Rally ever since I read an article in a magazine about Steve Attwood, a Brit who shipped his Guzzi to the States to do the event and won. Anyway, I've been waiting for the stars to align so I could have a bash at one of the IBA's starter events, the Saddlesore 1000, that is ride 1000 miles in 24 hours or less collecting receipts along the way to prove you've been where you say you have. This is along the lines of the on of my favourite events, National Rally of Scotland, which takes place in September, but the longest run on that one is only 650 miles.

Anyway, I plannned a big loop run as far as the north coast of Scotland and down to the Yorkshire Dales. It would have been easier to stick more on the motorways, but that's boring. I left the gas station that was my first checkpoint in Inverness at 06.30 on the dot and headed north for my first stop at Thurso near the north eastern tip of Scotland.

Here's the fresh faced optimist heading north.

The run up the coast was glorious in the morning sun,. but I was already slightly behind my (fairly optimistic) schedule by the time I made Thurso. This got worse as I stopped several times to take pix along the way.

Dounreay atomic power station, closed and now being dismantled; a thirty year job!

Lime kilns (by the pier) Eriboll Bay

Beautiful beach, one of many

Near Bettyhill

Gas station at Durness. Closed, so I had to get an ATM machine receipt to prove I was there. We (the Scottish section of the International Laverda Owners Club) arranged for this gas station to be opened at midnight on the longest day for a rally we held one time. Quite special to be there, but the wildlife was scary- deer everywhere, like herds running along the roads.

All this picture taking was eating into my schedule so I upped the pace a wee bit- no traffic on the road though, so my rhythm was good.

Ardvreck Castle on Loch Assynt.

After gassing up in Ullapool I headed south to pick up the road from Skye. There was not a breath of wind so Loch Cluanie was doing a good impression of a mirror.

By now I probably should have been about 100 miles further south so the camera had to be stashed while I concentrated on piling on the miles. The ol' GS was purring and I felt good.

The run through Glen Coe was good, but the traffic was building, a foretaste of what was to come in the Trossachs. There I saw lots of guys on bikes, but precious few talented riders...

After picking up the motorway at Stirling I bashed the superslab (ahem) all the way down into England as far as the western Yorkshire Dales. By now it was getting darker so no photos to be had there, but Wensleydale was unfeasably beautiful, although I'm unused to such twisty roads and those dry stone walls look awful solid. Ran over a rabbit unfortunately.

After refuelling in Richmond I got on to the A1 and started the long haul north. By now it was pitch black and I nearly shat myself when I was suddenly slapped several times on the back! WHAT THE HELL..? Nope, not a ghostly pillion, but the travel wallet containing the valuable receipts whaich had worked its way out of my tank bag and was flapping around behind me on its string. Bloody hell, thank gawd I'd zipped it up and double thank gawd I'd tied it on with string...

Panic over. The original plan was to head from Scotch Corner across country to Jedburgh and Edinburgh, but in the dark it would be relatively slow so I stuck on the Great North Road (the A1) to Newcastle and Edinburgh while keeping an eye out for speed cameras.

Midnight. I gassed up at Edinburgh and headed north over the Forth Bridge for the last leg to Inverness. Mrs Three Dawg wouldn't be happy as I thought I'd be home by now, but I decided she probably wouldn't appreciate a phone call so late either. Ho hum.

Once again my HID light array came into its own (the output is amazing) helping me to ride briskly but safely and I arrived back in Inverness at 02.30, exactly 20 hours after setting off. I didn't feel too bad, although it had been a bit chilly coming over the hills. Just enough time left to grab four hours or so sleep before starting work in the morning...

The total milage as per my odometer was 1086, Microsoft Autoroute reckons 1032. The bike averaged 49 imp MPG, just as well as I saw petrol at 129 pence per litre!

Now all that remains is to get my ride validated by the IBA, can't wait for that!

Three Dawg screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 11:05 AM
Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
I arrived back in Inverness at 02.30, exactly 20 hours after setting off. I didn't feel too bad, although it had been a bit chilly coming over the hills. Just enough time left to grab four hours or so sleep before starting work in the morning...
IslandMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,815
Three Dawg

well done mate - inspirational in a masochistic sorta way
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Awesome I did 357 miles around Yorkshire and the Borders on Sunday and thought that was an achievement..............but what you did was mindbending

Most I have done in UK in one day (same day - 6am-11,30pm) was about 650 miles from North Yorkshire to Barmouth in West Wales and all over Snowdonia, via the Peak District and i was well knackered

One day I must try something like that

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
sfc1k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Nice write up.

One of these years I'll get around to doing the Scottish.

I reckon I might need something less tiring (& more illuminating) than the triple for a bash at a saddlesore
sfc1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Andidry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
nice one Three dog , i was just talking to a mate on sunday who did this in January, dont know about that but i think i'm gonna havta give it a try
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
One of these years I'll get around to doing the Scottish.
Hey Bob, you know the Scottish is a hoot. Not happening this year for us (Hobson's going to the International for one thing) but I'm sure Squadra Laverda Scozzese can accommodate an extra member next time

Anyway, you know where I am if you need details of how to enter.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #12
wully
Not long now...

Oddometer: 87
Stunning pics
Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i was just talking to a mate on sunday who did this in January
January? Madness!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #14
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
One day I must try something like that
One of the good things about this ride is that you start on the day of your choosing, so can avoid bad weather.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #15
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Congrats! and welcome to the madness.

Michael J. - IBA #3901
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote