Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Keone OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Any experience with Ohlins FKA101 cartridge kit

Hello All,

I recently purchased an ohlins FKA101 kit for my f800gs looking for a better offroad ride... After answering a few questions about my weight, riding style, and experience. I received the cartridge kit with 08767-55 springs which is a .55kg/mm and I believe is just about 10% stiffer than stock. I was surprised that to achieve proper rider sag (front 69mm) I needed to max the preload adjusters.

Rider sag was adjusted with no panniers just me, riding gear, and a small tool pouch about 225lbs total. My concern here is that I have no overhead to adjust sag when the bike is loaded with my touring gear...

I have an Elka 4 stage in the rear with 65mm of rider sag and plenty of overhead to increase the preload when the bike is loaded.

Am I missing something?? Or did I get the wrong springs

Thanks
K
Keone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 351
Got my ohlins set up from Pro Pilot and lots of room for pre load adjustment with worlds of improvement as installed upon return. You should not be maxed with an unlaiden bike. These cartriges are great. Make the effort to get what you paid them for.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Keone OP
Adventurer

Hey Seaside,
Thanks for the reply... Can you tell me what springs you got with the kit
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
grandpa_ken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Pro Pilot did mine. Here are the specs he provided.

FKA has 5.5 newton meter spgs

Preset Starting range :

120mm fluid/R-12 out /C-10out

Preload caps 5.75 T in
Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keone View Post
Hey Seaside,
Thanks for the reply... Can you tell me what springs you got with the kit
Truthfully not sure what springs are in there. I asked for a set up based on a moderately aggressive off road possibility along with a rider gear/gear weight of 200 lbs.
Truely an amazing difference on the general ride. I havent done any challanging trails yet. Winter has even sucked in Va but things are on the right track now
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Keone OP
Adventurer

Hey guys thanks for your replies...

Grandpa_ken would you know your spring rate in kg/mm?? Also any idea why a fluid level of 120mm? Manual says 180mm from top

Seasider would you mind sharing your sag measurements... And clicker counts

The bike already feels amazing but again it doesn't seem right to be maxed on my preload... I called he place I bought the kit from and they said that rider sag should more like 76mm not 69mm probably splitting hairs I know

Thanks again
K
Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
That will be a .55kg/mm fork spring. I believe it is the only one made for this bike by Ohlins. In my BMW repair CD it gives the stock air gap at 60mm and I believe that is accurate. Stock spring rate is .46kg/mm. 180mm air gap seems like a lot. Unless we are not talking about Marzocchi forks.

More air gap, softer ride and less resistance to bottoming the fork. You can change the compression rate a little by changing oil viscosity.

The stock suspension has a spring spacer. I don't know if the Ohlins cartridge has one, but you can certainly add one, to give more preload adjustment. Other than custom, there are some other heavier springs that would give more preload. Bitubo sells a .60 kg/mm spring.

Keep in mind that recommended sag is just that. It is not a law. Load it up and if you are happy with the results, that should be good enough. I would add more oil, It is not compressible and probably would result in more preload.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 05:05 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote