Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #136
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Most importantly, can you drink beer while performing this procedure?
LOL

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #137
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Most importantly, can you drink beer while performing this procedure?
Why??? If you have a 12 pack of beer and a box of Bandaids, just spoon 'em
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #138
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 366
[QUOTE=WOLVERINE]Get about 6 rachet straps or equivalent and feed them through/around the tire from outside to inside . . .

Interesting, this is not the ratchet strap trick I thought you were referring to. I have not heard this one before . . . what happens once you have the tire on the rim, presumably with the inner tube inside? How do you fish the valve stem through the rim?
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #139
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE
This makes the inside ID large enough to fit over the wheel. Place the tire over the rim and push on....Let go the straps and voila, beads are inside the rim dish and no need to spoon on!
What did I miss...? With a steel cable inside the beads, how would it stretch to the point of making the inner diameter of the tire larger? That inner diameter of the tire does not stretch. That's why every rim has a well in the center. If the bead would stretch, you would have a problem on your hands, i.e. wheels...

TomTom63 screwed with this post 05-27-2010 at 04:26 PM
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #140
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
What did I miss...? With a steel cable inside the beads, how would it stretch to the point of making the inner diameter of the tire larger? That inner diameter of the tire does not stretch. That's why every rim has a well in the center. If the bead would stretch, you would have a problem on your hands, i.e. wheels...
I think the idea here is this;
Strap several places around the tire so the two beads are pinched together all around the tire. This makes it a piece of cake to keep the bead in the center of the rim.

If I understand correctly, you could carry a handful of long zip-ties to accomplish this trick for flat repairs in the field.

Still not sure about fishing the valve though.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #141
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsforrest
I think the idea here is this;
Strap several places around the tire so the two beads are pinched together all around the tire. This makes it a piece of cake to keep the bead in the center of the rim.

If I understand correctly, you could carry a handful of long zip-ties to accomplish this trick for flat repairs in the field.

Still not sure about fishing the valve though.
I'm slow today, forgive me (still suffering jet-lag). What could be achieved by pinching the two beads together, while on the rim...?

And, yes, you're absolutely correct, that method would keep the beads in the center of the rim. But, then what...?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #142
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
I'm slow today, forgive me (still suffering jet-lag). What could be achieved by pinching the two beads together, while on the rim...?

And, yes, you're absolutely correct, that method would keep the beads in the center of the rim. But, then what...?
If you've tried mounting tires, you know that when going from tire completely off rim to completely on rim, the first bead goes on relatively easy. You probably don't need levers with most tires. Getting the second bead on is harder because you are twisting the tire to keep one side of the second bead in the middle of the rim while you lever the other side over the rim. With the tire completely off the rim, strap the beads together and the whole tire should be as easy as the first bead to get on the rim.

Mind you, I have not tried this so it's strictly theoretical to me at this point but it sounds good.

Once it's on the rim, you don't need to pinch the beads together. The whole thing is about making it easier to get the tire on the rim.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #143
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Tangentially related, a handful of long zip ties is also a good short term solution to a flat dirtbike tire...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #144
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Quote:
Getting the second bead on is harder because you are twisting the tire to keep one side of the second bead in the middle of the rim while you lever the other side over the rim. With the tire completely off the rim, strap the beads together and the whole tire should be as easy as the first bead to get on the rim.

Mind you, I have not tried this so it's strictly theoretical to me at this point but it sounds good.

Once it's on the rim, you don't need to pinch the beads together. The whole thing is about making it easier to get the tire on the rim.
Ahhh, thanx for your patience and explaining in detail. Interesting indeed . Would be worth a trial next time when changing rubbers.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #145
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Anywhere have these in stock? I need a new rear tire soon.
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #146
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
how does the tube come into play?
with tubeless tires i can see this, but once both beads are on the tube must be in already in place with the valve stem lined & straight through the rim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE
Get about 6 rachet straps or equivalent and feed them through/around the tire from outside to inside (thread / sidewall / bead / bead / sidewall / thread) equally spaced ( 1, 3, 5 o'Clock and 7, 9 and 11 o'Clock positions) leaving the rachet at the center of the outside of the tire (the part you ride on) and crank tight until the 2 beads touch or tighter. This makes the inside ID large enough to fit over the wheel. Place the tire over the rim and push on....Let go the straps and voila, beads are inside the rim dish and no need to spoon on!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #147
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
"End of June" can't come quickly enough. C'mon Heidenau!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #148
bmwf650gsrocks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
K60 tires came today on Greyhound from MTR Sports. Good looking tires. Putting them on June 10th. Cant wait! Shop with MTR folks..great service and real good prices. I'll post some pics when they are on.
bmwf650gsrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #149
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf650gsrocks
K60 tires came today on Greyhound from MTR Sports. Good looking tires. Putting them on June 10th. Cant wait! Shop with MTR folks..great service and real good prices. I'll post some pics when they are on.
MTR Sports as in these guys: http://www.mtrsports.com/ ??

Did you order them recently?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #150
bmwf650gsrocks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
You betcha! I ordered them a while ago but they had problems of the container sitting on the dock in California. It took a while but the wait was worth it.
bmwf650gsrocks is offline   Reply With Quote