Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #1546
GB.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
For off road a 21inch rules,I wouldn't go back to a 19inch for off road, and how hard do you want to push it on tarmac? If you want to push a bike that hard get a secondhand trackday bike
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #1547
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb. View Post
for off road a 21inch rules,i wouldn't go back to a 19inch for off road,
+1
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #1548
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
+1
+ another one. I rode dirt bikes all my life, then fooled around with a couple street bikes with small front wheels. Something never felt right to me. When I test drove the current bike (21" front wheel) I figured out what was missing.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #1549
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB. View Post
For off road a 21inch rules,I wouldn't go back to a 19inch for off road, and how hard do you want to push it on tarmac? If you want to push a bike that hard get a secondhand trackday bike
It's for really long trips in deep sand.

I want to try a wider tyre to see if the extra flotation works with the weight of the BMW.

For pure off road, I can use a 19 MotoX rear tyre as my front tyre. Then fit an 18 inch rear rim, and use a 140/80-18 enduro tyre.

More knobs than a men only club.

I've seen it done on a Versys. The owner said it worked great. I'm naturally curious about this, give the 21 inch front is very narrow compared to a 19 inch motoX rear.

Fitting between the fork legs is the only tricky bit. Most will fit.

I have enough spare wheels and stuff for my DR650s that I can lace one up and try it, if it works, great, if it doesn't...meh. I'm out of pocket for one 19 inch rim and some spokes.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1550
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
2 8K mile runs on 2 Heides

I have run 2 sets of the K60's now on my F8 and although they do wear well and are pretty good overall. I find them to be not quite suited for the hot weather on the street here in AZ in the summer.

I really haven't had any issue with the fronts, just the rear and I'm running the 140.

2 different rides when the temps were over 100, the rear was stepping out in pretty mild corners. This was after hours of riding each day and late in the afternoon heat. I think I'll go back to something less dirt worthy, put up wth that tradeoff and enjoy the better traction on the paved bits.

I have my 3rd K60 going on the bike this week, (only because I bought it a few months ago) So I'll use it up and change back to something with less life, more grip.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #1551
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,918
Hm. That brings up a question.
I have 5k miles on my set (as seen above). And I'm planning a trip from Nashville to CO and back. I expect HOT temps rolling over, especially through MO and KS.
I expect >3500 miles overall.

I'm concerned with the long, hot paved rides across the Interstates (as I hotfoot it across these painful lands).
1200 miles each way+ a week in CO.

Will these last?
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #1552
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
There were reports a fair way back of them going off toward the end of their life, but I suspect it's heat related.

Mine had 11,000km on them and I removed them and left them outside the garage in the sun. It took a few days to a week but they ended up with an oily sheen, and when wet you can see the rainbow on them and when dry they are slippery.

So I don't know what that's all about, but maybe it explains them getting slippery when hot.

They seem to sweat an oily residue.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1553
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Well, I'm sure mine will be worn out after this trip. Hoping not before.
AMA-262640
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #1554
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
There were reports a fair way back of them going off toward the end of their life, but I suspect it's heat related.

Mine had 11,000km on them and I removed them and left them outside the garage in the sun. It took a few days to a week but they ended up with an oily sheen, and when wet you can see the rainbow on them and when dry they are slippery.

So I don't know what that's all about, but maybe it explains them getting slippery when hot.

Congrats. You may have a rebranded set of their Pneumants! Heidenau officially manufactured tires for Trabants, scooters and tractors in the G.D.R., so you mustn't expect too much too soon. I forget whether Trabants were made of recycled Heidenaus, or the other way 'round.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 07:07 PM
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #1555
yzfcathy
Weeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Hm. That brings up a question.
I have 5k miles on my set (as seen above). And I'm planning a trip from Nashville to CO and back. I expect HOT temps rolling over, especially through MO and KS.
I expect >3500 miles overall.

I'm concerned with the long, hot paved rides across the Interstates (as I hotfoot it across these painful lands).
1200 miles each way+ a week in CO.

Will these last?
Just don't lean over....and pay attention to the road snakes. They are particularily slippery. Not much help am I?
Interstate probably won't be too noticable, it's the twisty bits where I've had my issues. But I ride like a girl, so YMMV.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1556
yzfcathy
Weeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

In all fairness to the K60, both times I have been toward the end of the tires life and very, very hot temps. Maybe if I cycled them so they were due to be changed in milder temps I wouldn't even notice any issues.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #1557
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Well, I need to take a picture of my Heidy's again.
I had over 5 K miles on them when I started my trip out West from Nsahville to The Rockies and back. I added over 3500 miles to them. We were on hot, straight asphalt, dirt, gravel, cool twisty's, hot twisty's, clay, basically every surface out there and they performed extremely well. Once aired down , they grip darn well in most conditions. I even flatted l while riding at 80 mph on a twisty mountain road and did t realize I had a flat on the rear. Just a little shimmy which caused my to back down a little.
Only realized it was flat when I was inspecting the front. No air in the rear. Still had a hard time breaking the bead.
Now, other than a little squaring off, there is still a lot of tire left.
Some of the rock crawling up and over mountain passes has beat up some of the tread, but nothing I would consider serious. I still trust these tires and I continue to rail without a care.

YMMV
AMA-262640
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #1558
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

9000 miles (or so)
Lots of hot Interstate miles, lots of dirt road miles and lots of stuff in between. Holding up pretty well, I'd say, but starting to show their age.

AMA-262640
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #1559
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
The Heidenau's are great dual sport tires for long trips with lots of dirt and gravel roads. They are semi knobbies.
The reason they last so long is the rubber is HARD...slippery on wet pavement, slippery on tar snakes, etc.

If you want good traction on pavement get the typical dual sport tire, which is really a street tire, with a bit more open tread.

if you are really into off road...get some thing with more aggressive tread than the Heidenaus...and live with short tread life on pavement
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1560
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
The reason they last so long is the rubber is HARD...slippery on wet pavement, slippery on tar snakes, etc.
This is precisely why I cannot understand how the internet hype about these tires gained such momentum. It reminds me of the children's story of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote