Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #1576
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Your not kidding about breaking the bead... I changed my rear K60 today, i had to get my wife, and son involved and the three us put our combined weight into it and finally popped it loose. after that, it wasn't that hard to get off.
I can't wait to do mine
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #1577
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabigwoods View Post
I can't wait to do mine
Nobody around.
Place rear wheel/tire in the vise.
Crushed tire until bead released.
Repeat on other side!
Dang these K60's are tuff when cold.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1578
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by rediRrakaD View Post
Nobody around.
Place rear wheel/tire in the vise.
Crushed tire until bead released.
Repeat on other side!
Dang these K60's are tuff when cold.
They're tuff when warm too...

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1579
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 303
K60 Rear

Thought I would chime in with our mileage experience with k60's on our F800 and F650 twin. We are currently on a global trip and the bikes are loaded for bear and then some. We don't dottle on the freeway and the bikes have done lots of gravel and shale roads. After 14k plus miles the I have just swapped out the rears and the front I have left on because they look to have a few more thousand left in them.

The cupping issue mentioned previously was occurring on the rears but wasn't affecting cornering performance as far as I could tell.

Great tires that have exceeded expectations.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #1580
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Thought I would chime in with our mileage experience with k60's on our F800 and F650 twin. We are currently on a global trip and the bikes are loaded for bear and then some. We don't dottle on the freeway and the bikes have done lots of gravel and shale roads. After 14k plus miles the I have just swapped out the rears and the front I have left on because they look to have a few more thousand left in them.

The cupping issue mentioned previously was occurring on the rears but wasn't affecting cornering performance as far as I could tell.

Great tires that have exceeded expectations.
Dano, have you ever had scary moments on wet/damp roads? I been following Radioman, and recall he got off 2x a couple months ago on damp roads where the backend came around.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #1581
gagator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I wanted to have a few miles on my Heidenau K60's that I have on my 800GS. before I sounded off about them I just hit 1000 miles on them . Asphalt performance is as good if not better then any 50/50 tire I have ever had no chicken strips left on the front or rear and I have no problem making sport bike jocky's riding Wolf pen gap and The Richard russell look like posers. Off road performance is better then any 50/50 tire I have ever had. I live in N.E. GA. and have rode in places that only a true dirt bike should go and these tire work as good as possible on a bike that has the heft of a BMW 800gs. The ware at 1000 miles looks to be very little I bring this up because I have had 50/50 tires that at 1000 miles looked 1/3 gone. This is a Great tire and worth a look.
gagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #1582
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagator View Post
I wanted to have a few miles on my Heidenau K60's that I have on my 800GS. before I sounded off about them I just hit 1000 miles on them . Asphalt performance is as good if not better then any 50/50 tire I have ever had no chicken strips left on the front or rear and I have no problem making sport bike jocky's riding Wolf pen gap and The Richard russell look like posers. Off road performance is better then any 50/50 tire I have ever had. I live in N.E. GA. and have rode in places that only a true dirt bike should go and these tire work as good as possible on a bike that has the heft of a BMW 800gs. The ware at 1000 miles looks to be very little I bring this up because I have had 50/50 tires that at 1000 miles looked 1/3 gone. This is a Great tire and worth a look.

What size are you using on the rear?

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #1583
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
How do the K60s stack up against the stock Pirelli Scorpions in terms of on-road ONLY usage?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #1584
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
How do the K60s stack up against the stock Pirelli Scorpions in terms of on-road ONLY usage?
A little vibration at certain speeds compared to the smooth Scorpions. I don't notice it anymore. They are probably wearing about the same but with more rubber to burn through they should last quite a bit longer. I got about 12000km out of the Scorpions before changing over for off road performance but I could have gone another couple thousand on them.
As for traction ... I haven't noticed any difference. Then again, I don't have any track time or teaching experience nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I don't dawdle along but am probably nowhere near 10/10ths as my will to live (fear of dying) usually kicks in well below that magical number that many on here claim to ride 110% of the time... My pegs have been scraped with both sets of tires with the bike remaining upright. Although my friends will say that most of the scrapes have occurred whilst the bike is napping...

I'll buy the rear again unless something else exciting is produced by the time it wears out. The front I'll trade for a TKC perhaps. The K60 doesn't seem to want to climb out of ruts off-road but that is more likely due to inexperience rather than tread design/rubber hardness.

Buy them and try em out. If you don't like them some cheap bastard on here will take them off your hands.

(I use cheap bastard as a term of endearment)
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #1585
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

I already got a cheap set of very slightly used Scorpions for when mine wear out (7000 miles so far), so your answer basically just tells me to use those and maybe after that check out the K60s.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #1586
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I suppose it matters what you mean by 'on-road'
Is 'on-road' pavement only or are you referring to legal descriptions of a 'road' ie not a trail used by horses?

Off pavement and onto gravel or dirt roads the K60s are miles better. The scorpions were fine but I feel much more secure travelling at speed on these unpaved roads. They track better, accelerate, brake and turn better. I took the Scorpions everywhere both on pavement and off when I first got the bike but since adding the Heidenau's I've included much trickier terrain to my meager repertoire.

They still suck in deep mud/clay.
They are not a dirt bike tire.
The F800 is not a dirt bike...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #1587
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Is 'on-road' pavement only or are you referring to legal descriptions of a 'road' ie not a trail used by horses?

Off pavement and onto gravel or dirt roads the K60s are miles better. The scorpions were fine but I feel much more secure travelling at speed on these unpaved roads. They track better, accelerate, brake and turn better. I took the Scorpions everywhere both on pavement and off when I first got the bike but since adding the Heidenau's I've included much trickier terrain to my meager repertoire.

exactly...we are now on our 5th set...we have had 2 sets on our F650's, went through a pair on the triumph Tiger 800XC's and now we have a new set on the '13 F800 that Cheryl has and I will be mounting new K60's as soon as I get my 800...we still love them after riding almost 50,000 KM's on them between the different bikes.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #1588
bkreese
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Great Tire - Watch for Cracking

I didn't read much on this thread so I apologize for anything repetitive.

I dismounted a pair of k60s today from my r1200gs. Real tough! 2x4 lever under back of truck broke the bead. Everything else was all work! Be advised that K60s will test the resolve of anyone without a tire machine.

The tires had over 8000 miles on them, and the rear looked like the tread was good for another 1000. However, inspection revealed serious cracking on both sides of the center tread. Other than the cracks, the tire looked fine.

I mounted TKCs because I already had them in the garage. Rest assured, I will be putting K60s back on in a few thousand miles. I find K60s and TKCs very comparable in my riding. The difference lies in the superior treadwear and longevity of the K60s. If you got them, take a good look for cracking.
bkreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #1589
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreese View Post
If you got them, take a good look for cracking.
I'm on my 4th K60 rear now, and every one of them has had some cracking. My current rear started cracking soon after I had them installed, and at first glance it does look pretty bad.

But this tire now has >7,500 miles on it, and that crack has looked exactly like that for more than 5,000 miles, during which time I rode to Baja and back, did parts of the OBDR, and got in some spirited riding around Oregon, California, and Nevada, both on and off pavement. I just keep an eye on them. But they never seem to get any worse. With their hard compound, I guess it's no surprise that they crack. And after almost 40K miles experience with these tires, I don't worry about a little cracking anymore.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #1590
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post

To clarify on-road I mean highway and city streets. No dirt trails, horse trails, gravel or anything of the sort.