Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #1636
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
If you are digging into a tire, I suggest getting a tire carver or other appropriate tool, a razor blade may chunk it, take out to much or degrade the integrity. I have a hand carver that looks very similar to a wood tool and does a fine job, it also is depth adjustable which is critical.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #1637
itchy&scratchy
Twins, Bazil

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
While I absolutely love the rear, I do have some reservations about the front.

Before I changed the front to a K60 I had a K60 on the rear and a worn Dunlop 606 on the front. This was a pretty good combination and especially good on the dirt. The combination felt very predicable and secure.

So summary ... K60 on the back, TKC80 on the front. My AUS$.02
I also agree.
itchy&scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #1638
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
If you are digging into a tire, I suggest getting a tire carver or other appropriate tool, a razor blade may chunk it, take out to much or degrade the integrity. I have a hand carver that looks very similar to a wood tool and does a fine job, it also is depth adjustable which is critical.
My friend borrowed my knife to "fix" his front knobby while over nighting on a trail ride in the mountains. I warned him before leaving that there were no knobs left on his tyre. He said it was fine. He got to the bottom of a huge decent and didn't look happy.

So around camp that night he sat and carved new knobs.

I warned him, it's sharp. I diamond honed that blade. He said "Don't tell me knives, I know knives".

He handed the knife back and all his fingers were wrapped in insulation tape, and there was blood all over his pants.

Complained that he asked for a knife and I gave him a straight razor.

Some people.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #1639
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
I'm running a TKC80 front and a K60 rear on my F700.

Once scrubbed in, I liked both of the tires. But I've found the rear loose on damp cold pavement, wet roads and horrifyingly enough, on patched pavement/tar snakes. After a multitude of unsettling episodes, I'm looking forward to replacing the rear. Although it looks like it has plenty of life left at 7kmi.

If a guy wants to maintain the ability to fire road/gravel/packed dirt and ride it daily on tarmac to and from work, what would you recommend as a tire that's more stable? I'll even give up a bit of the longevity?

Would the Karoo 3 be a good options?
Perzakly! I ran the same combo for a couple of sets on my 800 and quite liked it on dry pavement and dirt. The K60 rear actually outlasted the TKC80. After some "thrilling" experiences on both wet pavement and mud on a long trip, I opted to change the rear to TKC80 also. Only about 9 or 10,000 km on that tire but found it much more comfortable.

As a huge added bonus, much easier to take the TKC80 off and put it on than the K60. That K60 has such stiff sidewalls, I'm sure it can run just fine without any air in it at all . . .

For me, longevity of a tire is less important than something that sticks to the ground better in all conditions.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #1640
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
I'm running a TKC80 front and a K60 rear on my F700.

Once scrubbed in, I liked both of the tires. But I've found the rear loose on damp cold pavement, wet roads and horrifyingly enough, on patched pavement/tar snakes. After a multitude of unsettling episodes, I'm looking forward to replacing the rear. Although it looks like it has plenty of life left at 7kmi.

If a guy wants to maintain the ability to fire road/gravel/packed dirt and ride it daily on tarmac to and from work, what would you recommend as a tire that's more stable? I'll even give up a bit of the longevity?

Would the Karoo 3 be a good options?
I noticed the same when my rear tread was down to about 20-25%, really easy to break traction in the wet... the tyre recently took me 3,000 miles round the alps and back (with about 50% tread to start) in some horrible weather including a snowstorm and no problems fully loaded up but by the time I got home it was really squared off and scalloped. Just replaced it with a new K60 and it sticks like glue again. Seems like they use more than one compound in the tread and once enough is worn away you're on the harder/less sticky compound.

Am considering the Karoo 3 as my next tyre also, didn't go for it this time around because my front K60 still has a lot of tread although it is also starting to scallop a little bit since I'm always hard on the brakes.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #1641
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Tube question

I'm pulling off my Scorp Trails this afternoon and mounting up K60s. Dumb question: Can I use the tube from the rear radial in the new K60?

TIA.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #1642
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post
I'm pulling off my Scorp Trails this afternoon and mounting up K60s. Dumb question: Can I use the tube from the rear radial in the new K60?

TIA.
Sure, but give it a good look over, to make sure it is good. If any parts have fused together and needs prying off, then ditch the tube.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #1643
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Sure, but give it a good look over, to make sure it is good. If any parts have fused together and needs prying off, then ditch the tube.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #1644
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:

TIA.
Quote:
+1

Also when you have the tube out, check for rust around the valve - if there is anything more than slight surface corrosion don't take the chance.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #1645
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, everything looked good, tubes reinstalled in new Heids and my first impressions of these tires is that they are pretty amazing. Rode some dirt, some fun asphalt, got caught in a pretty hard rain, and the tires were grippy in all conditions and very confidence-building. I was concerned that they wouldn't perform well on pavement but they roll easily into corners and hold the line just fine. I'm very happy with these and hope to get the mileage touted on this thread.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #1646
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,010
lol. Good for you. The difference in experiences reported on this tire is nothing short of amazing. Maybe it's expectations. Maybe it's technique. I just dunno.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #1647
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
lol. Good for you. The difference in experiences reported on this tire is nothing short of amazing. Maybe it's expectations. Maybe it's technique. I just dunno.
I know what you mean, after I had ordered these I read about the poor traction in the wet and was a bit freaked out. Maybe that shows up when they're worn down further??? Like you, I just dunno either!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #1648
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Thanks, everything looked good, tubes reinstalled in new Heids and my first impressions of these tires is that they are pretty amazing. Rode some dirt, some fun asphalt, got caught in a pretty hard rain, and the tires were grippy in all conditions and very confidence-building. I was concerned that they wouldn't perform well on pavement but they roll easily into corners and hold the line just fine. I'm very happy with these and hope to get the mileage touted on this thread.
Once scrubbed in, these tyres are great, really safe-feeling. But I must confess I had a bit more fun than I probably should have while the release agent was still on, easy to drift the rear around the corners while they're greased up! Who says you can't drift with ABS...

duffs screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 05:05 PM
Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #1649
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Heidenau K60

Something to note!

Mid-season this year Heidenau changed the design of the K60 to correspond with higher pressures of other tires of this size to help with those that were previously over inflating the tires and causing premature wear. Newer tires have a max PSI of 44 (whereas older versions were maxed @ 36PSI). Just a heads-up for everyone.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #1650
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
Something to note!

Mid-season this year Heidenau changed the design of the K60 to correspond with higher pressures of other tires of this size to help with those that were previously over inflating the tires and causing premature wear. Newer tires have a max PSI of 44 (whereas older versions were maxed @ 36PSI). Just a heads-up for everyone.
I believe the tyres themselves are unchanged (nothing noted on their website) apart from the information on them, as previously the sidewall was misleading stating max load at 36psi, not max pressure for the tyres... I wrote to Heidenau directly - see this post for their response.

I got 7000 miles out of my last rear tyre, mostly fully loaded and running at 39/44 f/r as Heidenau recommended - I purchased the set in October 2012. The rear still had about 25% tread but this is the point the K60s seem to break traction too easily in the wet for my liking... Up to that point they're excellent in pretty much all conditions.

duffs screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 05:19 PM