Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #166
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 572
Heindl Engineering in Ohio has the 140 in stock.

http://www.heindlengineering.com/Onl...enau_tires.htm
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #167
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static
Heindl Engineering in Ohio has the 140 in stock.

http://www.heindlengineering.com/Onl...enau_tires.htm
Not sure if someone else ordered them before me (again), but I got an email this morning saying the 140 was out of stock.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #168
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
K60 rear tires appear non-existent

Just called Moto-Amore and they have no Heidenau K60's in 140/80 17 (I didn't even try bother asking about the 150). The Heindal Engineering http://www.heindlengineering.com/ site also lists the 140/150 as unobtanium.

Looks like I'll have to try something else for my partial trip down the CDT in July.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #169
DUC54
Giddy Up!!!

Oddometer: 95
Thumb great tire

Just returned home from a 5500 mile Alaska trip, lots of fun and a great ride!!! Just a little info on the Heidenau k60's. Awesome tire!!!! I was loaded with everything but the kitchen sink. The 800gs with me on it weighed 370 kilos = 824lbs. We rode about 75-80 mph on black top, and anywhere from 25 to 70 mph on the Dempster, and Top of the World Hwy. No problems in either environment......stuck like glue in the corners, and very good in the gravel. Highway dept was watering, (with calcium mixture) and grading both the Dempster, and Top of World Hwy. Yes, it was slick, but the tires were great. There was one section with about 6 inch deep gravel.....had a couple of head shake issues, but not the tire's fault.

There is a little less than a quarter inch left in the middle of the tread. Interesting though...the tires seemed to look that way in Tok on our way down off the Top pf world hwy. They just didn't wear much after getting to that point. I am buying another set when available for sure. I had the 150 on the rear. I had gotten a set for my friend's KTM 950 140 rear. His seemed to have about half the amount of tread left that I have. His bike with him on it 410 kilos. We both agreed that for what we put them through they were great. Just my thoughts on the tire.

Giddy UP!!!!!
Allen
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #170
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,272
got my K60's installed on Friday and broke them in today by riding 100km with some on a forest rode....a little more vibration on the road but other than that they feel great on the tar....can't really tell yet off road...here are a few pics...

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #171
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
got my K60's installed on Friday and broke them in today by riding 100km with some on a forest rode....a little more vibration on the road but other than that they feel great on the tar....can't really tell yet off road...here are a few pics...

looks good! if you weigh about 200lbs add about 3/8" preload to the front and get a rear spring and you'll be all set! you'll love the tires and keep the air up no worries with the rims then.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #172
soph9
Bike Addict

don't weigh near 200 lbs but the bike will be carrying lot's of gear for our cross country trip and I have the preload as high as it goes....I like it that way...they make the 650 look better we think...second set go on our other bike Saturday!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #173
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
check your sag in the front end especially, you should in the rear too. put the bike on the ctr stand and measure how much space you have for travel then sit on the bike and take the same measurement again you should only have a difference of 20-30% of the travel. the front will probably need a little preload as i know mine would drop 2" under its own weight.if you do this the bike will handle and ride much better especially when loaded and you'll end up with more ground clearance for any off road riding.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #174
Barnacle
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 27
Are the tread patterns supposed to be reversed between the front and rear tires? I noticed the front tire tread pattern is opposite the rear tire. Is that right?
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #175
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle
Are the tread patterns supposed to be reversed between the front and rear tires? I noticed the front tire tread pattern is opposite the rear tire. Is that right?
Yes, that is correct for the Heidenau. You can verify this by checking the rotation arrows on the sidewall. The rationale is that the main purpose for the tread pattern is different for the front and rear tire: the rear needs traction more for acceleration, and the front needs it more for braking.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #176
Barnacle
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Yes, that is correct for the Heidenau. You can verify this by checking the rotation arrows on the sidewall. The rationale is that the main purpose for the tread pattern is different for the front and rear tire: the rear needs traction more for acceleration, and the front needs it more for braking.

David
Very interesting..

Thanks for pointing that out!
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #177
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Yes, that's the correct installation for providing greater friction under acceleration for the rear tire and greater friction under braking for the front tire. Many tire tread patterns are manufactured this way, it's just not as noticeable on less aggressive tread.

edit: 205'd by WoodWorks

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #178
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Yes the rear tread is going forward for traction in acceleration, the front is reversed for traction in braking.

EDIT: Didn't mean to be redundant here, got a phone call while typing this.

dsrydr screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 04:10 PM
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #179
soph9
Bike Addict

and to think I did not even notice that...but now that I look at my pics I see it...good info guys!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #180
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
... you should only have a difference of 20-30% of the travel.
FWIW, The difference between 20 and 30 percent is pretty big...and 20% is a bit too small for proper preload. Most tuners reccomend 25% (or more), I find (if it matters) 30% to be a good starting point.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote