ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #196
WoodWorks
House Ape
 
WoodWorks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ashland, OR, USA
Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
I don't get it. What is the puke'r about?
Mebbe because the 150 only comes in an 18" tire?

David
__________________
David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #197
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Mebbe because the 150 only comes in an 18" tire
Until fairly recently, they made a 150/70x17 tire.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #198
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
I think the new winning combo might be the K60 rear and TKC front.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #199
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GeckoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
I think the new winning combo might be the K60 rear and TKC front.
Had to pick up a TKC for my rear as the stock is getting bare, and no K60 around. But I'd think it would be a good setup when they are around again. Not shod the TKC yet as I am waiting to take delivery on tools to do my own tire changes (at USD 85+ to mount a tire the tools will pay for themselves quickly).
__________________
F800GS Mag/Black 2009 "Faucon GriS"
Farkles; Garmin GPSMap478 in a TT cradle, Airhawk seatpad, Pivot Pegs, SW-motech bars, MOD skid plate, Altrider headlight guard, HDB handguards, Maier Mudguard.
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #200
M N B
would rather be riding
 
M N B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
I think the new winning combo might be the K60 rear and TKC front.
Except there's no 150/70x17 K60...

But there may be soon... who knows...?

Yeah, I could run the 140/80x17, but I'd rather not. I'll just run TKCs. They won't last as long, but they'll do much better in mud and sand than the K60.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 HD Road King FLHR
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #201
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
second set of shinkos here. They mad em better by upping the speed rating. Happy here with the cost to performance.....
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #202
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Except there's no 150/70x17 K60...

But there may be soon... who knows...?

Yeah, I could run the 140/80x17, but I'd rather not. I'll just run TKCs. They won't last as long, but they'll do much better in mud and sand than the K60.

I ran a 140/80 Anakee for my road trip and I actually quite liked the 140 width. Seemed to be an overall better shape. I think most of us like the look of the 150 but in reality it's not as practical.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #203
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
second set of shinkos here. They mad em better by upping the speed rating. Happy here with the cost to performance.....
Tried the Shinko 705's and they SUCK. No offence.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #204
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
Had to pick up a TKC for my rear as the stock is getting bare, and no K60 around. But I'd think it would be a good setup when they are around again. Not shod the TKC yet as I am waiting to take delivery on tools to do my own tire changes (at USD 85+ to mount a tire the tools will pay for themselves quickly).
sorry... on a comment roll here....

Be sure to get good long levers with the curve on the one end. Makes a HUUUUUUUUUUGE difference with changing the tires.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #205
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Except there's no 150/70x17 K60...

But there may be soon... who knows...?

Yeah, I could run the 140/80x17, but I'd rather not. I'll just run TKCs. They won't last as long, but they'll do much better in mud and sand than the K60.
I run a 140/80 K60 rear and a TKC80 front. It works fine... initially I worried about the narrower width, but after a few miles I didn't notice anymore and now don't give it a second thought.
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #206
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!
 
Ducksbane's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
the front looks like crap.
Personally I think the original 21" K60 is "crap" on anything but hard surfaces. I love the 150/17 rear, so I hope that there is either a new similar 150 or that the new 140 is OK because I far prefer the rear to a TKC.

The front ... good on the road, plenty of grip, stable up to at least 180km/hr indicated ... but ... Its good on hard packed gravel, but mud and clay varies from interesting to terrifying. I've had a big tank slapper on a clay road just after a storm and the front always feels "nervous" on anything slippery. It does have a lot of "feel" ... I rode over a wet paddock and I think I could tell exactly how soft each bit of ground I rode over was ... Too much information!

I had a worn out Dunlop 606 on the front with the new K60 on the rear for a little while and this combination was way better than with the front K60. I think I would prefer the 21" TKC though, so thats what I will get when I eventually wear out the K60. I might just change it out early if I have to ride in too much slippery stuff though.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #207
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GeckoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
sorry... on a comment roll here....

Be sure to get good long levers with the curve on the one end. Makes a HUUUUUUUUUUGE difference with changing the tires.
Thanks for the tip. Total noob to this part of maintenance, but I can follow directions well enough. Looking at the BeadBrakR and supporting products (front wheel chock, etc). My feeling is I'd never intentionally venture into gnarly stuff without another rider, so if this stuff is overkill then one of us carries part of the gear and the other takes on other nice to haves. Part of the reason to ride with others seems to be sharing in the load, at least to me it does.
__________________
F800GS Mag/Black 2009 "Faucon GriS"
Farkles; Garmin GPSMap478 in a TT cradle, Airhawk seatpad, Pivot Pegs, SW-motech bars, MOD skid plate, Altrider headlight guard, HDB handguards, Maier Mudguard.
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #208
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
Thanks for the tip. Total noob to this part of maintenance, but I can follow directions well enough. Looking at the BeadBrakR and supporting products (front wheel chock, etc). My feeling is I'd never intentionally venture into gnarly stuff without another rider, so if this stuff is overkill then one of us carries part of the gear and the other takes on other nice to haves. Part of the reason to ride with others seems to be sharing in the load, at least to me it does.
I've got the bead brakr kit and was using the levers in that kit to take the tires off. Bad move. I have new levers now and it was 300% easier and took 300% less time. I could be off a few percent though.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Tire-Iron.aspx
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #209
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GeckoRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
I've got the bead brakr kit and was using the levers in that kit to take the tires off. Bad move. I have new levers now and it was 300% easier and took 300% less time. I could be off a few percent though.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Tire-Iron.aspx
Dang they are long! Are you still using the BeadBrakR kit or have you gone all the way to just using those levers and other tools?
__________________
F800GS Mag/Black 2009 "Faucon GriS"
Farkles; Garmin GPSMap478 in a TT cradle, Airhawk seatpad, Pivot Pegs, SW-motech bars, MOD skid plate, Altrider headlight guard, HDB handguards, Maier Mudguard.
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #210
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
Personally I think the original 21" K60 is "crap" .

yep, the 21" was crap but the 19" was great.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014