Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Sold! I will be getting K60s for the rear, and Dunlap 606 or TKC80 for the front! Toot-Toot!! Anyway, what's the best price to get them in the US?
little to no price variation in the us as the importation & distribution as on such a small scale.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I've only run 140/80s on my F800, and I'm now on my second one (after >11K miles on the first!). No issues, only positives. Its narrower profile makes it better in dirt than the 150, and it's cheaper!

I did 256 miles on all sorts of terrain today in Death Valley, after 620 highway miles yesterday to get here. These tires rock!

David
Thanks mate, you've sealed the deal. I'll go tell my dealer to cancel my order for the 150 (which "might arrive in July") and get me a 140, which they can get now.

I had assumed the 150's tougher carcass would be more puncture-resistant.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
I've been running the rear K60 (150) with a TKC front. I think it's the perfect combination for the bike.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I've been running the rear K60 (150) with a TKC front. I think it's the perfect combination for the bike.
You have a 150 rear K60?? When and where did you get it? How's it holding up in mileage compared to the 10,000 miles that Woodworks has claimed?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
You have a 150 rear K60?? When and where did you get it? How's it holding up in mileage compared to the 10,000 miles that Woodworks has claimed?
Same here. My 150 has about 1500 miles on it with no appreciable wear save the nubs are gone.

Bought from A&S BMW last fall, just before the plant went in to re-tool/re-formulate mode on this size.

I'd have more miles on but, hey, surgery dampened things for a while.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yup. I got it from Moto Amore a while ago. I have about 5,000 miles on it with about 1/3 to 1/2 worn. I'm going to try the 140 next time just for grins but would not hesitate to get a 150 either.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Nice, good to hear that the mileage is good. I've been assured by two vendors (Moto Amore and Heidl Engineering) that the new compound will maintain the same mileage, as this is one of Heidenau's main concerns. They had to rework the compound to increase high speed stability with this 150/70-17, but they didn't want milage to suffer....

Either way, I'm ordering a 150/70-17 and 90/90-21 ASAP.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
I've got the K60's on one of our F8GSs and I've put about 6500 highway miles on it in the last two months (I wish it was more weekend fun miles instead but I've had a hell of a commute waiting to close on my new house..) and there's still plenty of tread left. It's just now to the point that if you stare at the profile you'll start to notice where it's getting a flat spot. Over 90% of that mileage is spent a 80+mph for long durations. I'm easily gonna get 10K outta this tire. One thing to note about the 140 rear: Because it is a taller tire, expect more lean when on the side stand. I'll probably go back to a 150 when this one's spent just for that reason.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #24
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Ok so the wear is great... how is the stickyness on street and off road capability compared to say a TKC 80 or the Shinko 705's?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #25
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Ok so the wear is great... how is the stickyness on street and off road capability compared to say a TKC 80 or the Shinko 705's?
Me again ...

As I said the rear is great, fabulous hook up on gravel, only spins when you want it to, seems pretty good in mud, no problems on tar. I think it is considerably better than the TKC80. The front ... naar, I don't like it. It's pretty good on the bitumen, but on gravel and mud it's nowhere near as good as the TKC ( After my episode on the clay I don't trust it that much!)

So as YetiGS says best combination for F800GS is front TKC80, rear K60, probably works just about anywhere.

In fact I'm off to see if I can do a deal with a trade in.!
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #26
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
On the rear, I cannot tell a difference between the TKC and the K60. On the road or in the dirt, they feel the same to me and have equal traction as far as I can tell. I don't push hard on the street though so . . .

I have no basis to discuss the front K60 since I've never run one.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #27
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
On the rear, I cannot tell a difference between the TKC and the K60. On the road or in the dirt, they feel the same to me and have equal traction as far as I can tell. I don't push hard on the street though so . . .

I have no basis to discuss the front K60 since I've never run one.
Difference being that the TKC lasts (MMV of course) somewhere between 3k and 5k, and reports are the K60 last at least twice as long. I'm sold.

I got about 3.5k out of my TKC rear, and I actually still have it with maybe 20% left, but I dunno if I'll justify putting it back on anytime soon. It's a wonderful tire, always grippy rain, shine, dirt or pavement, but it wears oddly. Goes down to what appears like 50% of the tread block in less than 1000 miles then takes forever to wear down to the bars.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo
Difference being that the TKC lasts (MMV of course) somewhere between 3k and 5k, and reports are the K60 last at least twice as long. I'm sold.

I got about 3.5k out of my TKC rear, and I actually still have it with maybe 20% left, but I dunno if I'll justify putting it back on anytime soon. It's a wonderful tire, always grippy rain, shine, dirt or pavement, but it wears oddly. Goes down to what appears like 50% of the tread block in less than 1000 miles then takes forever to wear down to the bars.
Exactly why I run it. So far, it seems like the TKC front will wear at the same rate as the K60 rear. Unfortunately, my TKC front had a 2k head start . . .
Old 04-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #29
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Question Tyre pressures for K60's

Well, I don't think I can do a deal on a trade in for my front K60, so I will have to learn to live it for quite a while (unless I have any more "interesting" moments with it! ).

So does anyone know what the best pressures are for all round use with these tires? I was thinking of trying about 30psi in the front and either 30 or 28 at the back.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #30
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,731
I ran the K60 in front for a while @ 30psi. I was impressed w/ it's handling off road considering the tread depth. On the road was fine. Can't say much more because I don't remember anything out of the ordinary.
Never did get into any mud, but most front tires ball up and are pretty worthless on a quarter ton bike.

The Stinkos scared the hell out of me on the road.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote