Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #301
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Yeaaahh... I've heard as much, but I figure I'd rather be safe than pushing daisies after a 110-mph wobble.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #302
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,263
Hitting 15000 on our K60's

So, other being a great tire...how many more KM do you think we can get out of our tires now?

front

rear and I still have a plug in it from about 11500 km ago...

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #303
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 882
My FRONT Heidenau is about shot with all of the scalloping going on. This'll be the first time I've ever had to swap out the front before the rear.

I am I just riding that hard???
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #304
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Soph

I noticed the wear slowed down noticeably the more it squared off. I took mine off at 18k kms because I wanted a knobby for the terrain. I have no doubt it would have made 20k, maybe even closer to 25k. They're incredible tries for travelling on a whim. You've got at least a few thousand kms left (probably 4 or 5!) judging by your pic. You could drop a few PSI to help even more if you're up near max pressures. (Let me know if I won the jellybeans!)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #305
soph9
Bike Addict

bayner wins

I know how you feel about the knobby and I am thinking the same thing...switching them at 18,000 if we make it...coming up to 15,000 km soon. I'm thinking for the nest while it will be work and back and not too many back roads so perhaps we will just let them be for now and save our pennies...we both have 20000 km services next weekend...OUCH $$ wise.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #306
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9

I know how you feel about the knobby and I am thinking the same thing...switching them at 18,000 if we make it...coming up to 15,000 km soon. I'm thinking for the nest while it will be work and back and not too many back roads so perhaps we will just let them be for now and save our pennies...we both have 20000 km services next weekend...OUCH $$ wise.

I am thinking the other way around :)

After my next knobby I will go back to K60. Should time well with when the 150 dimension comes back in stock, I hope.

I mainly ride on gravel and I do not notice that much difference between the knobby tires we can get and the K60. Plus.. with the K60 I can travel in decent speeds on paved roads without burning up the tire and it lasts sooo much longer than the knobbies.

The front however is a different story. I like the Karoo 2 and will continue to use it even when I have k60 on the back
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #307
soph9
Bike Addict

not sure why your front is wearing out so fast. my front looks better than my rear and we rode at speeds up 15000km for many miles/km on the highway on our last trip. Other than the little vibration we feel with the K60 set up these tires seems to be a real DS tread. we mainly ride to work but on the weekends and whenever it is great to know we have something reliable underneath us. People call this a 50/50 tire...we call it a quality 90/10 if you wanted them to be. Just IMHO.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 06:46 PM
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #308
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
i had 4/32" tread left and got 1,000 miles before i had 3/32" tread left so you probably have 2000 miles left on that rear tire. I've gone thru 3 sets of these so far and just ordered 2 more sets, very happy with them.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #309
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I think what ecce meant, and I would concur, is that the front K60 doesn't perform it's job as well as it's rear counterpart does. (I'm speaking of my experience with the 21") It didn't have an appreciable gain in traction off pavement over the stock Pirelli or Bridgestone tire. I was a little surprised by that. It was not as smooth on pavement obviously. I liked the Karoo 2 and the TKC much better for holding a line.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #310
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
My FRONT Heidenau is about shot with all of the scalloping going on. This'll be the first time I've ever had to swap out the front before the rear.

I am I just riding that hard???
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike

I also wore out the front a lot faster than wear rates on the rears had lead me to expect. In my case, I know exactly what did it: hard cornering on pavement. There are three rows of tread lugs, one more or less in the center, one midway over & one out on the edge of the shoulder. I've got plenty of tread depth everywhere but the trailing edges of those intermediate lugs: those are right down to the carcass at 5600 miles. I think if you rode like a touring rider instead of a road racer, the front K60 would last forever.

I've not been totally sold on the front even aside from the (really fairly reasonable) wear. The rear continues to be my favorite by a long shot. I'm back to a Scorpion AT on the front until the next big dirt adventure looms.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #311
soph9
Bike Addict

we are going on 16000 km rear and front....still plenty of tread and I think we would be considered the more touring type of rider although I have done plenty of twisties and off road with them on!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #312
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind

I also wore out the front a lot faster than wear rates on the rears had lead me to expect. In my case, I know exactly what did it: hard cornering on pavement. There are three rows of tread lugs, one more or less in the center, one midway over & one out on the edge of the shoulder. I've got plenty of tread depth everywhere but the trailing edges of those intermediate lugs: those are right down to the carcass at 5600 miles. I think if you rode like a touring rider instead of a road racer, the front K60 would last forever.

I've not been totally sold on the front even aside from the (really fairly reasonable) wear. The rear continues to be my favorite by a long shot. I'm back to a Scorpion AT on the front until the next big dirt adventure looms.
I do push the bike a lot harder on the pavement.
I must say that the TKC I had on the bike previously wore out very quickly as well....just not as fast as the rear. In my estimation, the TKC front only lasted for about 50% as long as the the 2nd TKC rear I spooned on.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #313
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,706
Please enjoy this picture of the Heidenau K60 conquering Imogene Pass in Colorado this summer. This tire only has 500 miles on it and I will be surprised if it lasts more than 5k miles. I ride very hard and my tires pay the price.

This tire has more than exceeded my expectations on rocky and loose soil 5 stars! (no deep mud or sand yet). Pavement is a bit twitchy but I'm not too picky because I like the dirt.

EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #314
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 521
where did you buy your Heideneau?

I haven't found a Canadian source, did you buy yours in the US?
thks
d
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
we are going on 16000 km rear and front....still plenty of tread and I think we would be considered the more touring type of rider although I have done plenty of twisties and off road with them on!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #315
soph9
Bike Addict

MTR Sports...your Canadian source....called Rob

1-866-547-0911

he sells both in the USA and Canada and happens to live about 20 minutes from me...Rob is a fire fighter but has a great parts/accessory business on the side.