Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #676
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by costinell_mc View Post
The front tire is mounted opposite ?
I suppose the top of the arrow must be in the direction of the road?
I don't know if you understand me
Look at the front and rear tyre, the model of the tyre is not in the same direction
Your question has been answered here several times. This is the way Heidenaus are designed to be mounted, and this has been verified by looking at the direction-of-rotation arrow on the tires. The reason for this is that the main purpose of the tread on the rear tire is to get grip to go forward, whereas the main purpose of the tread in front is for steering control and stopping.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 02:00 PM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #677
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Your question has been answered here several times. This is the way Heidenaus are designed to be mounted, and this has been verified by looking at the direction-of-rotation arrow on the tires. The reason for this is that the main purpose of the tread on the rear tire is to get grip to go forward, whereas the main purpose of the tread in front is for steering control and stopping.
Bingo! We've got a winner.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #678
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
That is too cool. The smile of accomplishment and a bike that you can fix yourself with a minimum of $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks View Post

This was at the end of my first cross country trip. How could I have know that it would, you know... rain?

thread hijack over.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #679
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
That is too cool. The smile of accomplishment and a bike that you can fix yourself with a minimum of $$$.
That's too cool for school. Mine was a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 that I bought for $200. The only farkle on it was a custom mount I fabricated in my garage for a set of hard cases that I found at a yardsale. After going to the Arctic circle twice and Central America once the bike finally died it on my second trip through Mexico. I was in the desert just north of La Paz where I was going to grab the ferry to Mazatlan when the poor little air cooled engine took one last gasp, coughed, and said "I'm done".

Unfortunately this was all before the time of digital cameras and a spurned lover torched all my photos when I was out of the country in 1996. But I still have one of the hard cases -> I had hand painted it with pink zebra stripes to add some flair to the ride.

Hijak ovr ->

Wear on my K60 has almost stopped ??? not sure why but I'm well over 5500 miles and have lost almost no tread in the last thousand miles.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #680
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Wear on my K60 has almost stopped ??? not sure why but I'm well over 5500 miles and have lost almost no tread in the last thousand miles.
That would match my, and several other inmate's experience. Both of my sets of K60s wore fairly quickly from 0-4K miles, and then slowed considerably after that. Dunno why.

But after two sets that each lasted 11K miles, I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #681
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
i've noticed quite a difference in wear depending on how far i go, long cruising speed rides wear the tire very little it seems.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #682
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
8500 mile on the K60's and hoping to get another 1500. they seem to wear with two up- I told my wife that she is not allow to go anymore to save on tyre life. Her response:got to love the british sence of humor- Luv.

Hey, I love to read about the bikes that you have all been around the world on. To think the one that I will be talking about will be a F8.

I wound up ordering a set of Kenda Big Blocks but I guess my question is are you running K60 Scouts or the original K60's. Because I am stll running the orginal shipment to the US 150/70 B 17. Most of you are running the 140 now??? K60 or the K60 Scout. Checked the web a couple of days ago and now they are showing two different tyre. News to me... so did I original purchace the snow/ wet K60? or should we forget that this first set of tyres existed and where the best tyre for the money?
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #683
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Can't get the original K60 anymore though I do know a guy in the UK that will sell and ship what's left of his stock for about $260 per tire. He sells through EBay. Though he doesn't list the original K60 in his online store very often, if you give him a call he'll give you the scoop on what it'll cost to get one.

150 Scout not available in US yet. 140 Scout is but watch out where you go to purchase it. The Scooter Shop in Orange County has the 140 and maybe soon to be available 150 Scouts both listed at $192.05 and I can't find on their website whether shipping is extra.

http://scootershop.com/catalog/produ...3814edc22230ae

LMFAO at that price though. Way to give the customer a good screwing.

Not a chance in hell I'll ever pay that kind of money for a tire. Have a Kenda Big Block rear in the garage waiting for me to get off my duff and mount it. Personally I'm waiting on some good weather so that I can give it a proper break in ride. Our local OHV area officially opened for the season on Friday so probably going to mount the Big Block soon and go play with the 4x4s.

Our local riders group is also looking at running parts of the TAT this spring so I'm in the market for a new front. Gonna try to map out more dirt heading down out of the mountains toward the coast. Found a Shinko front I might try at $25 through motorcycle superstore plus like $12 shipping for a grand total of $37 to my door.

Flashback screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 06:43 PM
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #684
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
I just ordered a front and rear from MTC in Vegas....total was 330 which included shipping to Blaine WA.

....oh ya...and then there was the 20% off promo code so in the end it was 269.98 to me delivered. That's for a 110/80-19 and the 140/18-17
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #685
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
I got a set of the K60 Scouts 2 weeks ago from motohelp.com for $320 shipped. The 140 that is.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #686
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
I just ordered a front and rear from MTC in Vegas....total was 330 which included shipping to Blaine WA.

....oh ya...and then there was the 20% off promo code so in the end it was 269.98 to me delivered. That's for a 110/80-19 and the 140/18-17
where did you get the promo code?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #687
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Up up and away

Heidi k60 scout 140 $209 not including S/H at motorradgarage.com.au. It used to be that Australia was where you could get Heidis at a good price.

How high will it go? How much are people willing to pay? This is actually a very interesting question from a marketing and consumer interest standpoint.

I pulled the trigger this morning on a Shinko front. $32 to my door.

Flashback screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 10:24 PM
Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #688
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

4.6 - 17 k60

So I was doing some math and looking at Heidi corporate website. It appears that they still sell a 4.6-17 in the original dirt biased K60 tread design instead of the new street biased version.

http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...fil=38&pic=104

Here's the breakout of some standard tire size to rim width comparisons for basic wheel setups to frame the discussion:

140/80-17 = 3.5 in rim
150/70-17 = 4.25 in rim
160/60-17 = 5.0 in rim

Rim width can be expected to fluctuate up to 3/4 of an inch(ish) to fit each tire size dependent upon the bike and manufacturer. So for the F8, I could reasonably expect to be able to ride any one of these tire sizes on my rear rim. I'd be pushing it (though it has been done successfully) to ride a 130/80-17 on the F8 because the 130 usually fits a 3.0 inch rim which is just a bit too much outside my comfort zone. Don't really want to risk tire slippage.

It seems to me that the 4.6-17 should fit great on the F8 rear rim, well within acceptable width tolerances to maintain a proper aspect ratio. Has anyone tried this yet? If not does anyone know where I can go to obtain a 4.6-17 tire? Who imports and sells them or who special orders non-standard Heidis into the states? Still searching for a good 50/50

Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #689
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
So I was doing some math and looking at Heidi corporate website. It appears that they still sell a 4.6-17 in the original dirt biased K60 tread design instead of the new street biased version.
I don't like to be the bringer of bad news, but this isn't going to work because a 4.6 is only 4.6x25.4=117. Even a 140 is 140/25.4=5.50 so I think they will all be too narrow.

Still ... so far I like my 140/80/17 K60!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #690
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Yah your probably right. I didn't think of it that way. Maybe the 5.1 would squeek on there and stay. Need to find someone with one for comparison. I think Heidi was onto something good with the original design, regardless of compound. I'm half tempted to dremel the center strip of the Scout I've got in the garage and see how it performs with a modified tread down the middle.