BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Scout hogs !
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #767
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Snooze, you lose. But if it's any consolation, the tire wasn't cheap - about $175 give or take a few bucks.
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #768
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
$175??!

That's $20 shy of getting two Kenda Big Blocks from my source for that!

Ridiculous.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #769
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Ridiculous.
Not when those two Kendas wear out faster than the one K60.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #770
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Be patient

at least in Canada there is a crate full of 150's due in at the end of the month....I have good sources....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #771
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Not when those two Kendas wear out faster than the one K60.
Keep in mind the new 150 is a different compound, so as of now it's anybody's guess how this one will hold up.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #772
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
at least in Canada there is a crate full of 150's due in at the end of the month....I have good sources....

Good to hear!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #773
feyd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Hopefully some go to the dealer I ordered mine from....I got two just to make sure.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #774
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
Good is never cheap. Cheap is never good.

Let the arguments begin.

Dave is going to kill me next time I see him. His phone has been ringing and ringing.

johngil screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 08:38 PM
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #775
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
my suggestion for anyone in Canada is check with your dealer/supplier and pre order them....expect delivery by end of April first week of May for the 150...there are plenty of 140's around right now..
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #776
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
$175??!

That's $20 shy of getting two Kenda Big Blocks from my source for that!

Ridiculous.

My D606 is fully squared (2800 hard miles) and I'm gonna have to go the Big Block route...
While I wait the results of the $175 test.

BTW this beat, squared 606 is a total hoot in high speed paved corners.
Just testing the limits...
Cheers,
S.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #777
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Good is never cheap. Cheap is never good.

Let the arguments begin.
...and so they will.

My Shinko 244 front cost $32 to the door. That's cheap. And it's good. Many DR 650 riders swear by the 244 front and rear tires (which both average around 6K miles per tire) and so do the KLR 650 peeps. On the first ride I found the 244 to be far superior a tire both on and off-road to the K60 Scout front.

On road it was softer and gripped better than the Scout front.

Off road (on the trail not on a dirt road) in the sand (cause we have an A**load of it out here in the coastal plain) and hitting the gas to bring the front up through a waterhole when it came down into the soft wet sand on the otherside, it gripped like an ice skate. The Heidi front woulda thrown me off for sure right there. Coming into soft sand in the turns it would push through the sand rather than slide out. Thumbs up to a front that keeps me upright when the ground moves under it.

As far as mileage comparisons, I'm expecting about 6,000 out of the Shinko front which is just about exactly what I got out of the Heidi front.

I'll let you know about rears once I try the Kenda ($99 shipped to my door) and a Vee Rubber 140 that I'm looking into.

So what are the shipping costs on those $175 dollar Heidi tires anyway? Have we hit $200 total yet? And what about mounting? You all going to mount those thick carcasses by hand or take em to the BMW dealer and add another $45 to the total cost?

Let's see -> 6 to 7 thousand miles out of 2 Kendas or 6 to 7 thousand miles out of one Heidi. Doing the math the Kenda still seems cheaper and an all around better choice to me, especially knowing how bad Heidis begin handling on the road and in the dirt as the tread disappears.

I love a good debate and I'm eagerly awaiting the first report on a full tread to no tread run with the 150.

Flashback screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 10:06 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #778
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 955
How about I just shut everyone up and say I have the K-60's with just shy of 6,000 miles and they look to be able to go at LEAST another 3,000.......NO KIDDING!!!! (That's just the BACK tire BTW) Yes, I played in the dirt with these, hard sharp rocks type of dirt, just spent 3 good off-road days in DV besides others places.

Let the debate continue because until you try these tires your throwing your money away buying TKC 80's.....unless your riding mud......all the time........and about 95% of us don't. Personally I'm not an expert rider, more of a glorified novice. However, one thing I know is having a knobby for road use and getting barely 3-4,000 miles is throwing your money away......besides your time changing and getting another set of tires on!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #779
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I've got a K60 140/80 17 rear (old style) for sale in the flea market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677605

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #780
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
...and so they will.

My Shinko 244 front cost $32 to the door. That's cheap. And it's good. Many DR 650 riders swear by the 244 front and rear tires (which both average around 6K miles per tire) and so do the KLR 650 peeps. On the first ride I found the 244 to be far superior a tire both on and off-road to the K60 Scout front.

On road it was softer and gripped better than the Scout front.

Off road (on the trail not on a dirt road) in the sand (cause we have an A**load of it out here in the coastal plain) and hitting the gas to bring the front up through a waterhole when it came down into the soft wet sand on the otherside, it gripped like an ice skate. The Heidi front woulda thrown me off for sure right there. Coming into soft sand in the turns it would push through the sand rather than slide out. Thumbs up to a front that keeps me upright when the ground moves under it.

As far as mileage comparisons, I'm expecting about 6,000 out of the Shinko front which is just about exactly what I got out of the Heidi front.

I'll let you know about rears once I try the Kenda ($99 shipped to my door) and a Vee Rubber 140 that I'm looking into.

So what are the shipping costs on those $175 dollar Heidi tires anyway? Have we hit $200 total yet? And what about mounting? You all going to mount those thick carcasses by hand or take em to the BMW dealer and add another $45 to the total cost?

Let's see -> 6 to 7 thousand miles out of 2 Kendas or 6 to 7 thousand miles out of one Heidi. Doing the math the Kenda still seems cheaper and an all around better choice to me, especially knowing how bad Heidis begin handling on the road and in the dirt as the tread disappears.

I love a good debate and I'm eagerly awaiting the first report on a full tread to no tread run with the 150.
Noted.

The Shinko tires I tried were very unstable on pavement and started coming apart. Didn't work for me. They were alright off road, but cut up fairly easily.
I'm running 606's now and just stay fresh on my tire changing and balancing skills.

The K60's seem to be a pretty good compromise tire to me.

I don't expect to see more than 3000 miles out of any tire. The 606 rears will go almost 1500 miles if I'm careful. (I'm not)
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote