Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #796
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Have to chime in again...tires like seats are all subjective and this tire may not work for everyone but for us that it does...it is worth the price because it lasts twice as long as all the other tires being mentioned here....plus, it can and does handle most big bike off roads. I never pretend my Beemer is a dirt bike....i will not beat the crap out of it but will take it away from the main highways to get away from cagers and people...these tires do that for us and can handle to odd really rough terrain we find ourselves in...

Plain in simple if they don't work for you...try another...I do not mind the price and when anything gets a great rep of course suppliers try to take advantage of the demand....once the supply is up i bet the price comes down a bit but right now the demand for the 150 is so HIGH it has driven up the price. Simple economics.

soph9 screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 05:47 PM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #797
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Well said Soph. You're riding MO is mine. I think I've made right choice ... this time.http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #798
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
I'm curious, Griz. Is there oxygen on your planet?
Yes, technically there's more oxygen on my planet than on yours, being you're at a considerably higher altitude than me.

Breathe deeper, Woodworks.

I'm just not going to spend $175 on a tire that is OK in the dirt and OK on the road, but not good on either.

And to be honest, we're not exactly fully sure on the Big Block mileage on the F800GS yet. They could be great! Who knows, two Big Blocks could out-mile one K60! (Again, if that's all you care about is mileage). What we do know about the Big Block is that people are reporting great handling on the road and exceptional handling in the dirt.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #799
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
You could be right on the Big Block mileage. One thing that put me off to that tire was how stiff people said the sidewall is. It sounded like it would be a total pain if you had to repair a flat on the side of the road.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #800
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdesign View Post
You could be right on the Big Block mileage. One thing that put me off to that tire was how stiff people said the sidewall is. It sounded like it would be a total pain if you had to repair a flat on the side of the road.
bead breaker....
Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #801
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Disclaimer: I don't want to start another "Balance or not Balance" thread...

To those of you that are putting the K60's on yourself have you found any major differences in how many ounces are going on etc? Last tire change I elected not to balance and quite frankly I didn't notice any difference. IMHO only....I am neither a high speed or knee dragger.

Again.....just interested in K60 feedback. Thanks

Ron from BC screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 07:04 AM
Ron from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #802
soph9
Bike Addict

Ron I went to Second Gear...nice guy there and love the fact he can get everything in for our bikes and decent price...His K60 discount is still on but his MSRP is a bit high to start...but after the 25% off brings down the price of these tires to less than others....he also has a family membership for $20 and year....he signed me up because of my passion for bikes but did not ask me for any $$...
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #803
Snufkin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Disclaimer: I don't want to start another "Balance or not Balance" thread...

To those of you that are putting the K60's on yourself have you found any major differences in how ounces are going on etc? Last tire change I elected not to balance and quite frankly I didn't notice any difference. IMHO only....I am neither a high speed or knee dragger.

Again.....just interested in K60 feedback. Thanks
My tyre had a red dot that marks the spot where you should have your valve. I din't notice any wobbling as it is in 120km/h speeds on asphalt. My rims have some extra weighs directly opposite side of the valve. Then again my tyre is k60 scout, not the original k60. How picky are you?
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #804
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
OT: parts availability this season

Anyone expecting to mount their new Scout and do some distance traveling this season should be aware that the tsunami has affected global supply of BMW parts. I'm at dealer for warantee work this morning and they suggested I order anything I'm going to need this year now, especially electronics. They also said tht BMW is unable to produce any new bikes due to the parts shortage. What you see on the shwroom floor is all that's going to be available this year.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #805
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
They also said tht BMW is unable to produce any new bikes due to the parts shortage. What you see on the shwroom floor is all that's going to be available this year.
I knew it would affect things, but not that much... Jeez...
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #806
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
My tyre had a red dot that marks the spot where you should have your valve. I din't notice any wobbling as it is in 120km/h speeds on asphalt. My rims have some extra weighs directly opposite side of the valve. Then again my tyre is k60 scout, not the original k60. How picky are you?
I suspect the weights you refer to are for the balancing of the tires that you had installed on your bike.....the placement and number of weights will change for every new install.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #807
Snufkin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
I suspect the weights you refer to are for the balancing of the tires that you had installed on your bike.....the placement and number of weights will change for every new install.
Yes. I just let them be as they were and remove if needed. Easier to take of than add more in your own garage. :)
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #808
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
...dealer... also said that BMW is unable to produce any new bikes due to the parts shortage.
Boy, that's a new one. Usually it's just "You better buy before someone else does!"

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #809
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
My tyre had a red dot that marks the spot where you should have your valve.
I think you'll find that should be the 'yellow' dot and this is the light/thin point of the tyre. The 'red' dot indicates the high point of the tyre. Now if you get both a red and yellow dot..........well things change a bit. More here if you scroll down to the section headed "Coloured dots and stripes - what's that all about". http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #810
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Had an interesting conversation with my parts dept about the K60. Mine was the first bike to come into the shop with one on it last year and we've been in discussion about the tire ever since. My local BMW dealer will not be stocking K60 Scouts now or at any time in the foreseeable future.

The service manager said that he'd love to stock the tire, and he's looked into what he'd have to do to put them on the shelves, but that Heidenau is not playing ball in making the tire available at a reasonable cost through normal supply chains. That's obvious. He doesn't want to screw his customers to make a profit so he's encouraging people to look elsewhere for them.

In essence, BMW dealers have to pay the same price we pay as individuals getting the tire through Heidl engineering or a similar U.S. vendor, then the dealers need to mark it up to make any profit, at which time it becomes more cost effective for us to purchase the tire elsewhere. Or, if we want convenience, we'll be paying $200+ each for a tire from a second or third chain vendor.

So there you go...someone go bang some heads over in Germany and motivate Heidenau to get with the program and make their tires available at reasonable costs through standard supply networks.

Flashback screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 08:20 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote