User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #841
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,919
A couple of points to this.
The sizes our bikes run are not very common in a good DS tire. Try to find stuff on 150/70B17. Not much there.
I would LOVE to get a set of Mefo Explorers. They look like what I am looking for in a tire.

On the other side of the coin, I also ride with a lot of DS'ers. First off, they can't believe I ride a bike that costs so much (in that environment). (They? KLR, DRZ, XR, generally small, cheap bikes, etc.). They also seem to hang out fairly local. Whereas I like to GO. Get away, ride. Not just go through a creek, stop, ride up a muddy hill...stop...zzzzzzz.
I find that my riding needs are very different than the avg DS'er. I don't want to worry about cheap ass tires when I'm a couple hundred miles away and have a fun (usually twisty) ride home. I need something I can depend on, on the road as well. Some of those 'less expensive' tires are fine for dirt bikes and local DS rides. And are often times much better when the going gets rough.

I think if I had an 18" rear wheel it would be a lot easier.

Tires are not something I want to cheap-out on. But I would prefer some better choices.

And for the record, I would love to get a 150 Scout. Doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #842
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Mefo Explorer was basically how the Scout started. The designs were extremely similar. Mitas E07s are comparable and they come in 140 (if you can get them).

Here's a 140/80-17 from Vee Rubber that could be a worthy compromise tire but I don't know anyone who has ever ridden it:

I'm hoping that some of you are right and we're just about over the 150 high price glut that we've been sitting in. For anyone wanting TKC, the 140 is selling for $134 with free shipping at motorcycle superstore right now.

As far as riding a bike that costs this much in that environment, I didn't buy the F8 to have it sit in the garage or park it in front of a cafe, and neither did most of us I think. The crew I rode with this weekend was skeptical about taking me along with them at first. They've had bad experiences with other BMW riders who don't know how to handle their big bikes but think that because "adventure" is part of GSA they have everything it takes to ride off road.

By the end of the day, we had pulled over 100 miles of dirt (the majority of it "maintained" by the state meaning grated once a year during the dry season), some of it at breakneck speed and they ride as hard on the tarmac as they do on the dirt. About the only time they stopped moving was when they were waiting for my slow bike to navigate the mud bog or foot deep sand.

While they said I rode like someone on a big expensive bike who was throttling back (which I was) they were impressed with what the F8 could do, weighing in as the heaviest bike on the ride. About the only time I lost confidence in it's abilities was log jumping -> the F8 is a heavy bike to slide over fallen trees and I could use more practice. Sad as it is to say, I chickened out on one log because I was worried about what would happen to the plastic if I dropped it on the limbs that were sticking up around the log.

Next ride, we'll be motoring through an invite only spot where they said that I'd be required to actually ride the bike fast (as if hitting the 95 mark off road isn't fast enough). Since I tore up the Scout I'm probably going with the Mitas E09 Dakar. I haven't mounted the Big Block yet but it's just not doing it for me as it sits in the garage.

But I'm really liking the Shinko 244 front. It did great in everything but foot deep soft powder sand and it handles well on fast highway riding. Mine hasn't chunked at all.

Flashback screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 01:33 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #843
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I will be running the Kenda Big Block next. $200 for the front and rear. Still runing the K60's and was hoping month after month the new shipment would come. Had to breakdown and try something else while I wait.

Currently got just under 9K on them.
AdvWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #844
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

yeah, my rear TKC is shot. I've been waiting hoping the K60 would be avail... guess I'm going w/ the BB on the rear next.

edit: I know this is OT, but i just ordered the Kenda BB for $107 shipped. Will still monitor here for the availability of the Scout.
AMA-262640

ride2little screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 02:37 PM
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #845
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Has anyone grooved their Scout to open up the center? I read on another thread about someone doing that and loving how they handled afterward.

I can't stand that strip down the middle and am thinking of breaking out the dremel this weekend and trying it out.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #846
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
I find that my riding needs are very different than the avg DS'er.
+1

It's not at all unusual for me to ride 1000-1200 miles of pavement over a long weekend to get to where I want to play in the dirt, and that kind of riding will burn through true DS tires real quick. I'd much rather spend the extra coin on a set of real 50-50 tires that will allow me to get to where I want to go (and back), and still allow me to have enough traction off pavement. And if I get 11,000 miles out of a rear (as I have twice now), I figure they're a bargain at almost any price. So far, I haven't found anything that will do that better than K60s will.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #847
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
yeah, my rear TKC is shot. I've been waiting hoping the K60 would be avail... guess I'm going w/ the BB on the rear next.

edit: I know this is OT, but i just ordered the Kenda BB for $107 shipped. Will still monitor here for the availability of the Scout.
This is exactly what I have done (ordered a BB waiting for the K60). I expect Motorad Unlimited in Asheville, NC to have them in May some time. Talk to Ivan.
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #848
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
I will be running the Kenda Big Block next. $200 for the front and rear. Still runing the K60's and was hoping month after month the new shipment would come. Had to breakdown and try something else while I wait.

Currently got just under 9K on them.
9,000 miles on the big block?!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #849
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I bet he means 9,000 on the K60.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #850
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I bet he means 9,000 on the K60.
yeah, WW is running the K60.
AMA-262640
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #851
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
oops
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #852
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
Mileage

Just got back from a 2200 mile ride from my home here on the south coast of Oregon to Death Valley. My K60's now have 12,000 miles on them and they are pretty much spent. I already have an other set purchased and will have both front and rear replaced at Hansen's in Medford in a couple of weeks. For me, they are the best tires I have used for the type of riding I do. The useful mileage is amazing. Fun riding in D.V., clipping along at over 50 on part of those dusty rough roads. What could be better?

F800GS 36,000 miles...absolutely no problems
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #853
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wardman View Post
F800GS 36,000 miles...absolutely no problems
Comments like that are against section 144(e) of the Laws of BMW Ownership - Public Discussions. All forum posts about the F800 must:
-Say how heavy and/or underpowered it is
-Complain about the electrical system
-Compare it to another, completely dissimilar bike in an unfavourable way
-Criticise the design engineers
-Discuss how you could do a much better job if only you owned a trillion-dollar production facility in Munich.

Further, all comments about tyres must either:
-Vigorously defend your choice of tyre by telling someone who chose differently what a twat they are, and/or
-Bitch about the 17" rear wheel, because your 1974 Hondaka KL90XR-Z didn't have one.

It's only a warning this time - do it again, we'll stick you on a V-Strom and you get banished to Beasts to spend the rest of your days telling other people boring stories how good your bike is and bragging how infrequently you change your oil.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #854
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Mefo Explorer was basically how the Scout started. The designs were extremely similar. Mitas E07s are comparable and they come in 140 (if you can get them).

Here's a 140/80-17 from Vee Rubber that could be a worthy compromise tire but I don't know anyone who has ever ridden it:

Looks a lot like the Bridgestone TW41/42, fitted OEM to the DR650 and Triumph Scrambler:

They're available in a size to suit the front, but you'd have to coax a 130/90 onto the rear, and that's probably not wise.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #855
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 412
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
Comments like that are against section 144(e) of the Laws of BMW Ownership - Public Discussions. All forum posts about the F800 must:
-Say how heavy and/or underpowered it is
-Complain about the electrical system
-Compare it to another, completely dissimilar bike in an unfavourable way
-Criticise the design engineers
-Discuss how you could do a much better job if only you owned a trillion-dollar production facility in Munich.

Further, all comments about tyres must either:
-Vigorously defend your choice of tyre by telling someone who chose differently what a twat they are, and/or
-Bitch about the 17" rear wheel, because your 1974 Hondaka KL90XR-Z didn't have one.

It's only a warning this time - do it again, we'll stick you on a V-Strom and you get banished to Beasts to spend the rest of your days telling other people boring stories how good your bike is and bragging how infrequently you change your oil.