Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #871
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,292
Production at the Heidenau plant is delayed yet again because of a severe infestation of rubber beetle, brought in a shipping container of scrap tire carcasses for recycling from Indonesia and the Philippines.

I'm opting for those new Icelandic retreads, instead.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 11:05 AM
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #872
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
I think the answer can be found in looking to Europe and Germany.

The 150/70-17 Scout is not available in Heidenaus home market yet. I'd be rather skeptical of anyone who promises them (pre-order or not) anytime soon in other parts of the world.

My guess, based upon other Heidi production releases, is that if they are going to become available this year it'll be sometime around September or October. (That's if they even decide to move into production beyond the test release that they did earlier this year)

Heidenau doesn't even have the 150/70-17 listed as a production tire on their own website. Until they do I wouldn't hold my breath in hopes that these tires will magically appear at a retailer near you.

---> just read Freds post. Pretty much explains it.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #873
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

There are a lot of tire alternatives out there if you don't mind looking at 140s on the 150 rim. I may bash my 140 Scout rear when comparing it to other 50/50s used off road but it is far superior to the Anakee or Tourance for on/off road touring. Realistically I only get a couple thousand miles less on it than I would if I were riding a Tourance.

So if you want a Scout, get one. The 140 works fine on the F8.

I was thinking that my next tire was going to be and E09 Dakar but have gotten word from someone who has actually ridden them incident free over 64,000 km that the D606 130/90-17 is a great tire on the F8, and lasts almost as long as the Heidi would. I guess the tires original 90 degree aspect gives it about the same width as the 140 Heidi on the 150 rim.

I'm going to try it out, probably as my winter tire this year. Still have several thousand miles to burn on my current 140 Scout and I won't be riding the bike this summer (can't take it with me when I teach in Grenada).

Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #874
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I think the answer can be found in looking to Europe and Germany.

The 150/70-17 Scout is not available in Heidenaus home market yet. I'd be rather skeptical of anyone who promises them (pre-order or not) anytime soon in other parts of the world.

My guess, based upon other Heidi production releases, is that if they are going to become available this year it'll be sometime around September or October. (That's if they even decide to move into production beyond the test release that they did earlier this year)

Heidenau doesn't even have the 150/70-17 listed as a production tire on their own website. Until they do I wouldn't hold my breath in hopes that these tires will magically appear at a retailer near you.

---> just read Freds post. Pretty much explains it.

I think you are properly right. My rear trail attack is starting to show belts (12500km) so I need a replacement this week or next week at the latest. I already purchase the front (110/80 19 scout) so I’m thinking of purchasing the 140/80 17 rear at this time. I don't think it will be a problem on a 4 inch rim (r1200gs) but I would prefer the 150.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #875
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
I think you are properly right. My rear trail attack is starting to show belts (12500km) so I need a replacement this week or next week at the latest. I already purchase the front (110/80 19 scout) so I’m thinking of purchasing the 140/80 17 rear at this time. I don't think it will be a problem on a 4 inch rim (r1200gs) but I would prefer the 150.
The F8 rim is 4.25 in. Not a problem. Mounting it on your 1200 will give the 140 a more appropriate aspect than on my F8.

The only question I'd have is about ensuring that it seats properly and doesn't leak air on the tubeless rim.

Anyone who's done this have any feedback???

Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #876
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Anyone who's done this have any feedback???
I'll start by saying that I actually prefer the 140 over the 150 on my R12 when riding off road as the rear end seems to float less in deep mud/gravel with the narrower tire, and grips better with the deeper tread. YMMV

We've mounted MANY 140's on F8, R11, R1150, and R12s. My suggestion would be to use more lube than what you normally would as these are VERY stiff sidewalls. Use a air chuck that will lock on the valve stem while you're seating the bead, and remove the valve core to allow unhindered passage of air into the tire. When airing the tire to seat the bead, bounce the tire while rotating it until the bead seats, this will help expand the sidewall onto the bead surface. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE BEAD SURFACE WHILE DOING THIS!!!!!! Once the bead seats air down the tire, insert the valve core and run the pressure up to about 50psi, just so it's good and tight. Wipe the excess lube off the outside of the bead surface and pass the circumference of both bead surfaces past your ear to listen for any leaks. Let off the pressure to your desired operating pressure and balance the wheel.
Following this procedure we've not heard of any of our customers having leaking issues (and I'm a Heidenau user...never a problem with mine after 3 seasons of use and many changes between K60s and K76s).

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-

AKtracks screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 01:34 PM
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #877
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
very useful post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
I'll start by saying that I actually prefer the 140 over the 150 on my R12 when riding off road as the rear end seems to float less in deep mud/gravel with the narrower tire, and grips better with the deeper tread. YMMV

We've mounted MANY 140's on F8, R11, R1150, and R12s. My suggestion would be to use more lube than what you normally would as these are VERY stiff sidewalls. Use a air chuck that will lock on the valve stem while you're seating the bead, and remove the valve core to allow unhindered passage of air into the tire. When airing the tire to seat the bead, bounce the tire while rotating it until the bead seats, this will help expand the sidewall onto the bead surface. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE BEAD SURFACE WHILE DOING THIS!!!!!! Once the bead seats air down the tire, insert the valve core and run the pressure up to about 50psi, just so it's good and tight. Wipe the excess lube off the outside of the bead surface and pass the circumference of both bead surfaces past your ear to listen for any leaks. Let off the pressure to your desired operating pressure and balance the wheel.
Following this procedure we've not heard of any of our customers having leaking issues (and I'm a Heidenau user...never a problem with mine after 3 seasons of use and many changes between K60s and K76s).
great post!
thanks AKtracks!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #878
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I'm opting for those new Icelandic retreads, instead.
Fred
What are these Icelandic retreads you speak of?
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #879
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
Browsing that quickly, I was about to say "why are they being mean to Icelanders? There aren't a lot of retards there!"

Hooked on phonics...
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #880
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
That would hijack the thread!

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #881
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Due 5/20 !

HERE IS AN EMAIL I JUST GOT FROM BASIN... Wonder what the $ is gonna be...

The K-60 150/70/17 "Scout" is now in production and the first shipment is on a boat, with an approximate e.t.a. here of May 20th. All orders that have been previously prepaid will be filled with that shipment.

Our next shipment is scheduled to arrive mid to late June. Please call after May 12th to pre-order.

The K-60 130/80/17 is presently on back order, however the Mefo Explorer with the same tread pattern as the K-60 is available from us in that size.

All other sizes of K-60s, as well as K-76s are now in stock.

Thank you for your patience. It's been a long wait but the light is now visible at the end of the tunnel.

If you no longer want to be on our mailing list please click the unsubscribe link below.

The Basin Gang
Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #882
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post

HERE IS AN EMAIL I JUST GOT FROM BASIN... Wonder what the $ is gonna be...

The K-60 150/70/17 "Scout" is now in production and the first shipment is on a boat,

Go figure, the day I buy Big Blocks I get this email.
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #883
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
Go figure, the day I buy Big Blocks I get this email.
Don't worry, you'll blow through the Big Blocks quick enough!

I love mine, but it's not what I'd call a long-lasting tire...
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #884
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Not to stir it up. BUT...
How come the ONLY picture I have seen of this tire, it's the very same one? Hmmm?
I'm not too excited that these will be generally available. Guess I'll believe it when I see it. (Or at least a picture of someone else with one.)

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #885
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Sounds a bit like the same thing we heard two months ago...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=622

Now how come these are the only people saying that the tires are in production and on the way? They must have someone on the inside because they seem to have better info than Moto Amore. I'm wondering what we'd here if someone called over to Germany and asked???

Repost (not my photo):