Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #1456
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Yeah I found that riding in the rain as I go up Isabella Drive from the Monaro highway of an afternoon, I wheelspin at every puddle I hit if I'm on the throttle even a little bit.

Cornering seems to be ok, but straightline suffers. Must be the solid centre. I found it works better after I cut the grooves through the centre bar, so that sort of sold the idea to me.

In the wet as I approach the last intersection on the way to work I found that the ABS goes nuts on the rear brake every single time. It's a very greasy piece of road and I'm braking hard in a straight line.

Remember what they are and it isn't really a problem.

The Mitas E07s I fitted have so far sold themselves as the best dual purpose combo yet. Wear rates will determine just how much I love them.
I will admit that center strip is great for longevity..... But one reason I decided to try this tire is that the 18 inch version only retains about 50% of that center strip of the 17. We shall see how it behaves.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #1457
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 187
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #1458
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 187
phiewwww,

after reading 100's of posts i decided to take the 140 rear because I dont want the centerslick, and after reading a couple of 100 posts more is see the 140's have a chevron aswell, damn!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #1459
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I really like the street performance of the K60s especially the new 21" scout front ( Old one was scary).
I do track days and love cornering on bikes as well. The K60s just perform great as a true dual sport tire that gives up very little in the way of ripping up canyons. I hang with the squids on sport bikes in the slow tight canyons on K60s and then I can go off road like no other street bike can. The center strip on the 150s is a problem but you can learn to overcome it most times by leaning the bike slightly to get traction. It is so cool to spin the rear wheel off road when you are vertical and then just lean her over slightly and let her hook up. I understand why people would want a better front tire for off road but you would have to sacrifice some street handling to get that so every rider has to make the choice.
I'm due for a front and thinking about swapping the rear to the K60 for a trip I have coming up (WaRpEd).

Up front I have been running the Pirelli MT90 and am very happy with it on road and off. It handles corners well on road, works great offroad too without airing down much if at all.

I have run the TKC80's in the past and off road they are great, on road it is hit and miss. By that I mean I had a few TKC 80's that gave horible headshake at freeway speeds. Others worked perfectly. It was strange and very scarry when it happened. Offroad the TKC's work great and there was really no need to air them down which was pretty nice when you ride a lot of mixed terrain.

So are people happy with the new scount front? No need to comment on the old scout front since they changed it and I'd be getting the new one.

Anyone else run the Pirelli MT90 and have a reference for comparison? I might stick with that one and get the scount rear. Seems like a good combo.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #1460
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I rode the continental divide last summer with the new K60 front and rear. The short version: very happy with the rear, not so happy with the front. I really wished I'd opted for a DOT knobby like a TKC or MT21 up front (I prefer the Pirelli, personally). The rear was great. Good traction in the dirt and LOTS of miles. I'm at 11K miles on this set of K60's and still going... But I digress. The K60 front is just fine on the tarmac and for light off road duty it would be all right but I'd go with the MT21 up front.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #1461
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
I never had a problem using the side stand to break the bead on a tire until these Heidenaus. Got a screw in my rear (tire that is) and started riding . . . went quite a ways until I got to my destination. Tire was pretty well done anyhow so was planning on replacing it.

Tried the sidestand in about 6 different positions on both sides - no luck. Had a car available so took it over to a dealer and they broke the bead with their machine and took the tire off for me. If I would've had to deal with this on the side of the road, I'd a been hooped.

I really like the tire so, if I'm going to keep using it guess I'll have to buy one of those bead breaker tools even though I hate carrying shit like that around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
They are stiff sidewalls, but using the side stand trick breaks the bead quite easily, and i only use the tools in my kit for changing them. I had an experience with a flat in the field, check it out here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710278

Ryan
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #1462
CaliKarl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
I never had a problem using the side stand to break the bead on a tire until these Heidenaus. Got a screw in my rear (tire that is) and started riding . . . went quite a ways until I got to my destination. Tire was pretty well done anyhow so was planning on replacing it.

Tried the sidestand in about 6 different positions on both sides - no luck. Had a car available so took it over to a dealer and they broke the bead with their machine and took the tire off for me. If I would've had to deal with this on the side of the road, I'd a been hooped.

I really like the tire so, if I'm going to keep using it guess I'll have to buy one of those bead breaker tools even though I hate carrying shit like that around.
I'm not good enough at fixing flats to use the Heidenau K60 or Mitas E-09. I just mounted the E-09, as in an hour ago, and decided to take it right off as there is no chance I'd be able to fix it 'on the trail'. TKCs just slip right on, more or less.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #1463
deguoren
该出手时就出手

Oddometer: 155
It might help, here a pic of the different types

And because I was wondering about the right pressure I wrote an email to Heidenau and got a quick reply:

street
air pressure front wheel air pressure rear wheel
solo use 2,3 2,7
with co-driver 2,4 2,9
with co-driver and luggage 2,5 3,0

terrain
solo use 1,8 2,0
with co-driver 2,0 2,3
with co-driver and luggage 2,2 2,5
Do what you love, and do it often. If you dont like something, change it. If you dont like your job, quit. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once; seize them. Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating. Live your dream, and wear your passion. Life is short."
deguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #1464
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguoren View Post
got a quick reply:

street
solo use 2,3 2,7
with co-driver 2,4 2,9
with co-driver and luggage 2,5 3,0

terrain
solo use 1,8 2,0
with co-driver 2,0 2,3
with co-driver and luggage 2,2 2,5
Which in PSI is:
street
solo use 33 & 39
with co-driver 35 & 42
with co-driver and luggage 36 & 43

terrain
solo use 26 & 29
with co-driver 29 & 33
with co-driver and luggage 32 & 36
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #1465
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Which in PSI is:
street
solo use 33 & 39
with co-driver 35 & 42
with co-driver and luggage 36 & 43

terrain
solo use 26 & 29
with co-driver 29 & 33
with co-driver and luggage 32 & 36
Which is interesting, the 150/70/17 sidewall says max 35psi

I'm not near the bike so I don't remember the front

Looking closer are the front and rear numbers reversed?

I prefer something closer to 30F 25R off pavement and 35F, 30R on pavement
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #1466
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
Which is interesting, the 150/70/17 sidewall says max 35psi

I'm not near the bike so I don't remember the front

Looking closer are the front and rear numbers reversed?

I prefer something closer to 30F 25R off pavement and 35F, 30R on pavement
I was wondering the same thing. Just looked at my tire and it says 35 psi max.

Also just checked the F800GS riderse manual and it says:
Tyre pressure
Front 2.2 bar/32 PSI one-up at tyre temperature: 20 C (68 degrees)
Front 2.5 bar/36 psi two-up and/or with luggage at tyre temperature: 20 C

Rear 2.5 bar/36 PSI one-up at tyre temperature: 20 C
Rear 2.9 bar/42 PSI two-up and/or with luggage at tyre temperature: 20 C
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #1467
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
I'm not good enough at fixing flats to use the Heidenau K60 or Mitas E-09. I just mounted the E-09, as in an hour ago, and decided to take it right off as there is no chance I'd be able to fix it 'on the trail'. TKCs just slip right on, more or less.
The Heidenau suited my purpose well of having a long lasting tire that could handle some off pavement riding when required. I was extremly happy with it on my recent trip to Mexico. I didn't want to have to find a replacement tire and change it while down there. Worked well on gravel/rock roads and construction areas and was great on pavement and twisties.

I'm just glad I didn't get caught with a flat out in the middle of nowhere. Probably would have been driving over it with some old beater pickup or car to get that bead broken. Some places didn't have a lot of traffic so having a tool to do the job would make sense.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #1468
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
we run the K60's around 34-36 PSI both front and rear and my latest set has over 22,000 KM on them. WE have the tubeless tires and plug when get a nail or something. We used the tubed ones on our Alaska trip last summer but never got a flat by luck I think. Love these DS tires which do very well for us as commuters, and DS riders.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1469
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Interesting indeed. I run 32f / 36r and find street performance good. And in the twisties, I run pretty aggressive.
Airing down off road is necessary with these or they're pretty slippery.
Oh and my wear has been good and even.
Those numbers sound pretty high.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #1470
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
yep it does seem high and my dealer is surprised too, they installed them...this set of tires...my third now seem to be lasting forever and they have been off road quite a bit and of course on the road.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote