ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #5551
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 542
Added HDB top clamp, handguards, and mirrors. This is a great upgrade to the flimsy stock handguards. Quality is top notch!

I ordered the 90x38/40 top clamp which match to stock KTM handlebar bolt pattern. I didn't realize the ROX Raisers are wider than the stock clamps. Ended up using the HDB top clamp to clamp the ROX, and the ROX to clamp the handlebars.

To fit the HDB top clamp on top of the ROX, I would have to get a 106x38/40 HDB bolt pattern.

BykBoy screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 05:01 PM
BykBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #5552
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Hmmmm........might need one of those......

I just painted my stock one for the moment....
With the large footpeg extensions I always found the little stock tip too hard to find. I used to have one from Adventurer's Workshop but it was just bent metal like the original and was also bent out of shape. Don't think this one is going to deform too easily!

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #5553
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy View Post

To fit the HDB top clamp on top of the ROX, I would have to get a 106x38/40 HDB bolt pattern.
hum no, you can fit the 90-38/40 as well. you just need to take 1-2 mm off the width the lower clamps, which would bring the ROX inwards and bam... you're in business. Takes 10 min with a dremel. Looks good and you get your HDB clamp on top.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #5554
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
For those that are going to install their own KTM kit, the "ACC 2" connectors are located behind the headlight. You have to remove the left upper cover (where the left turn signal is located) in order to access the connectors.

This is a great kit. It includes everything you will need.
I just pulled the headlight to get to mine. Easier to me than pulling the entire cheek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto
hum no, you can fit the 90-38/40 as well. you just need to take 1-2 mm off the width the lower clamps, which would bring the ROX inwards and bam... you're in business. Takes 10 min with a dremel. Looks good and you get your HDB clamp on top.
Good info. glad that I read this before I bought a new top plate.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #5555
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Added HDB top clamp, handguards, and mirrors. This is a great upgrade to the flimsy stock handguards. Quality is top notch!

I ordered the 90x38/40 top clamp which match to stock KTM handlebar bolt pattern. I didn't realize the ROX Raisers are wider than the stock clamps. Ended up using the HDB top clamp to clamp the ROX, and the ROX to clamp the handlebars.

It may just be the way I am looking at this, but it would appear that the HDB part may be keeping you from rotating those Rox Risers any further forward, is that the case?

When I installed my Rox Risers I went with this brand because I wanted to keep the bar mount in vertical alignment with the stock mount position (in terms of the reach), rather than having the bars pulled back and closer to me. To do so, I then adjusted the risers slightly forward. This may not be possible with that top clamp part. Interesting.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #5556
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,033
Quote:

A question about your fork tube position: With the tubes that far up in the triples, does your fender ever hit the lower tree?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #5557
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,367
Just finished installing the Black Dog CW kickstand relocator kit.

Took 10 minutes- nice kit!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #5558
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto
If I only had a Dremel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep
It may just be the way I am looking at this, but it would appear that the HDB part may be keeping you from rotating those Rox Risers any further forward, is that the case?

When I installed my Rox Risers I went with this brand because I wanted to keep the bar mount in vertical alignment with the stock mount position (in terms of the reach), rather than having the bars pulled back and closer to me. To do so, I then adjusted the risers slightly forward. This may not be possible with that top clamp part. Interesting.
This is very true. The HDB Top Clamp is preventing the Rox from tilting forward. There is a slight tilt but not as much as to bring the bars vertically up.

One thing I found about the Rox is that no matter how tight I torque to clamps, when I ride off road, they always tilt back and eventually line up with the original angle of the bottom clamps. I'm probably going to get one of these offset raisers because I prefer my bars farther away from me (closer to the instrument panel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
A question about your fork tube position: With the tubes that far up in the triples, does your fender ever hit the lower tree?
The front fender has yet to hit to lower tree. However, I'm not sure I ever had it bottom out.

Here are some more photos of the HDB guards and mirrors:

BykBoy screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 05:07 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #5559
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

ElectroSport Turn Signals

I got ElectroSport Turn Signals from Black Dog Cycle Works.

They are really compact and look to be very durable.

When I first installed these, they didn't work. It turned out (A) I didn't connect the resistors that were came with the package, and (B) I wired the KTM brown wire (-) to the ElectroSport yellow wire (+) and the KTM black wire (+) to the ElectroSport black wire (-).

After confirming with ElectroSport that the resistors must be connected, and that their yellow is (+) and their black is (-), and confirming that KTM black is (+) and brown is (-) I re-wired all four of the turn signals.

From left to right:
KTM original male connector with brown and black wires.
ElectroSport resistor (the part covers with the black sleeve).
ElectroSport turn signal with yellow and black wires.

[IMGhttp://bykboy.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM-Adventure-Dakar/i-S9ST3p4/0/L/20120503122235-L.jpg[/IMG]

Close up of the wires:

And they work!

BykBoy screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 05:00 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #5560
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

GPS and Phone Brace

I have my Garmin Zumo and phone mounted with RAM ball mounts on the front dash above the instrument cluster. Because the plastic dash does not have any support under it, both the GPS and phone vibrate when riding. The vibration is bad enough to make it hard to read direction on the GPS or record movies with the phone.

To mitigate the vibrations, I fabricated two small metal braces and connected them to the front instrument cluster sub-frame. Each brace connects to one of the screws that connect the RAM ball mounts to the dash.

The braces significantly reduce the vibrations. They did not eliminate them completely, but it's much better now. I can read directions on the GPS and film movies with the phone. The movies are not completely vibration free, but much better than it was without the braces.

BykBoy screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 04:58 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #5561
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
I got ElectroSport Turn Signals from Black Dog Cycle Works.

They are really compact and look to be very durable.
I've used the Electrosport units on several bikes, they are durable.

Sicass Racing sells set of the same thing but with KTM connectors on them too, bit pricier for that benefit.

Clear Lens LED - KTM

An LED flasher module doesn't need the resistors, but again more expensive than a few resistors and more mod work too.

SICASS Smart Flasher - LED Turn Signal Flasher
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #5562
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Storage Tube on the BDCW Skid Plate

Drilled two holes in the BDCW skid plate and attached plastic tool tube with two screws.

Now I just need to figure out what to put in it.

BykBoy screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 05:08 PM
Old 05-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #5563
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,780
Nice! I never thought about mounting one there. I got several of those tubes. You might want to do something about the vent/drain hole on the tube. It is pointing up now and may allow bad stuff into the tube.

Edit- Also some alcohol or brake cleaner will take off all that yellow paint. ;)
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #5564
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,033
Quote:
Drilled two holes in the BDCW skid plate and attached plastic tool tube with two screws.
I don't remember what kind of solvent I used, but that yellow lettering wiped off easily, leaving no trace.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #5565
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I don't remember what kind of solvent I used, but that yellow lettering wiped off easily, leaving no trace.
I took it off with carb cleaner.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote