ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #6031
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Lots of stuff today, in prep for a 2,000 mile trip to the Dolomites, Italy.

Sorted out my dodgy wiring by running a new line from the battery to a Centech AP1 fuse box mounted on a plate in the cowl, and switched by the ACC2 circuit.
Then wired in my stebel airhorn which is stuffed inside the left side fairing panel, wired my heated grips with their R1 OEM switch, and fitted a USB charger in the glovebox.
Then put the bike on the charge as all that fiddling had flatten the battery...

Made a new GPS mount and hood (I use an old smartphone as my GPS). The mount under the dash to support it is a touratech bracket, but I'm not using the top mount as it sticks out towards the rider too much.

Finally fitted my brand new (first off the block!) rally-RADE carbon windshield. Great job Rade! Fitting was perfect, although there was some light leakage from the headlight, so I filled the gap with some foam-tape, covered in duct tape. A 20 minute spin - early results seem good, with HUGE dead air behind this more upright screen, and clean air hitting my neck/chin (6'2"). So I think it is an excellent sign for less buffeting, like my 3" inch cut down screen that it replaced. Maybe better... Will post on the screen-thread once I get back from my trip.

bigkuri screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 02:49 PM
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #6032
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...carrier-system

If the ktm luggage fits 'all' 950 supermoto I presume the SW MOTECH will be the same?
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6033
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Does anybody know how to adjust the beam of the TT HID Hella projector low & high beam?

They are illuminating the top of the trees instead of the road
Just did mine. Pop the screen off and you'll see adjusting bolts with hex heads, one at the top and two at the bottom of each. I put mine in the garage and shut the door and adjusted that way to get a sense of aim. Depending on your weight, how heavily loaded you are and what you've done with front suspenders, you'll have to play around with it a bit.

First time I rode mine after the install I had the same deal. There's lots of adjustability so you should be fine. Happy trails.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #6034
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
April 27- June 27

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793070

Lots of pictures. Brief details.
Wish I'd had the time to detail each more, but I wanted to ride;
  • Passenger Mounts/Pegs Coated
    Coated Ti Remus Roxx
    Prepped small parts
    Got new frame
    New wiring harness
    Frame/harness prep
    Mounting motor/frame
    New front wheel, spokes, rubber
    Building up chassis/frame
    Superplush
    Cockpit
    HID50 upgrade
    Dual Fans
    Blacken swingarm
    Stebel horn
    ABS manager
    CPR pre-filter/Throttle Body splash guard
    CPR base plate mod
    CPR coming together
    Safari Tank problem...
    G2 Throttle cam
    DIY chain tool
    EFI fuel pump purge module
    Honorable mention
Edit; added air/oil seperator pictures/details

etingelefunts screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 03:50 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #6035
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Rode the Top of the World Highway to Dawson City, YT.
Paul IBA #33
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #6036
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I think this answers my question

http://www.bs-motoparts.com/default....roduktsuche-GB

Now I am hesitating on spending so much for the SW when I could spend half on the ktm version. Only saving grace is I have my eyes on the aero abs case which fit the SW
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #6037
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochtouren View Post
Just did mine. Pop the screen off and you'll see adjusting bolts with hex heads, one at the top and two at the bottom of each. I put mine in the garage and shut the door and adjusted that way to get a sense of aim. Depending on your weight, how heavily loaded you are and what you've done with front suspenders, you'll have to play around with it a bit.

First time I rode mine after the install I had the same deal. There's lots of adjustability so you should be fine. Happy trails.
Thanks!

I just didn't know which bolts to adjust out of the 3-3 that they have:)) So I've adjusted all of them, and it's quite fine now:)

It's amazing how the high beam turns night into day:)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #6038
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Thanks!

I just didn't know which bolts to adjust out of the 3-3 that they have:)) So I've adjusted all of them, and it's quite fine now:)

It's amazing how the high beam turns night into day:)
Okay - get you. Mine were aimed at the sky too, so had to use the bottom bolts to move the frames in a long way then top bolt to tilt them out. The bright lamp is awesome as you say - capable of welding retinas shut for oncoming drivers, so need to get it pointed in the right direction.
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #6039
Boatman
Upward and onward!!

Oddometer: 10,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Finally got around to ordering some luggage and installed it Now just need to get my forks back

Get some heavy weight ziplock bags for liners and you have the perfect waterproof bags.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1556/=i8cuu1

18x24 6mil 19215T92

I've been using the same bags for liners for 2 seasons now and they are still holding up. Well worth the $13.00

Also,,,, that strap you have over the seat fits under the seat. Gives more room to move around on the seat.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #6040
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Get some heavy weight ziplock bags for liners and you have the perfect waterproof bags.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1556/=i8cuu1

18x24 6mil 19215T92

I've been using the same bags for liners for 2 seasons now and they are still holding up. Well worth the $13.00

Also,,,, that strap you have over the seat fits under the seat. Gives more room to move around on the seat.
Thanks for the under the seat strap trick....that buckle is a sore spot with the passenger (literally).
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #6041
soupbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
New stuff!

just put on the bar risers and adjusted the hand guards.HDB brand.anyone else have difficulty with thier screen and these hand guards? adjusted them in the vice. but still hit the wind screen. also my guardian bell is in its final location.side stand bracket from weld86.fit is perfect. thanks charlie. Touratech risers.
soupbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #6042
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,319

Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #6043
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,318
Ordered the Black Dog sidestand relocator, carbon fiber clutch case protector, and those beefy extended (and widened) footpegs. Pumped!

Soooo looking forward. . . sending out tomorrow!

I believev the guy's name was Kurt - very helpful, and knows his 950 shiz. . . AND, he actually answered the phone when I called to ask questions and place an order (sorry if that is not typical, but it was awesome to have someone answering the phone - one of my petpeeves, but damnit, I want to talk to someone before givng them several hundred $$).

Also ordered a powerport adaptor and the mini (moose) windshield - from my local shop.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #6044
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Looks like today was the day to work on your KTM Adventure!

I did my first oil change on the 990. My friend helped me (rideWestKTM) since he was changing the oil in his 950. Thanks rideWest!. I took my time, learned about the bike, and laughed at some of KTM's design decisions. Design is all about compromise, and KTM decided to push all the compromise to the maintenance department.

Here's some photos of the bike without the side cover and tank, and the clutch jet (at least the hole that the clutch jet goes in ).

Lot's of hoses and electrical connections to disconnect before you get to this point. I think there's 6 hoses (I still have the canister and such connected) and 3 electrical connections to deal with. It's a lot easier to take the tank off if you have help.

Ok. The clutch jet. Here's where rideWest and I spent well over an hour discussing the virtues(?) of this design and how exactly to get it out, make sure it's not clogged, and how to get it back in. There's also a debate about whether or not to increase the diameter of that jet... but that's another story.

Also, here's some notes about how much oil came out and how much I put in. After it was all drained, I measured approximately 3.2 liters. I put in 2.5 liters (it's really easy to overfill at this point, so don't put more than 2.5 liters in), ran the bike from cold to 6 bars, then put in another 0.5 liters. The oil level was just a bit above the Min. mark on the dipstick. I proceded to slowly (bit by bit) add 0.2 liters, at which point the oil level was at the Max. mark on the dip stick. 3.2 liters out. 3.2 liters in (approximately of course).

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #6045
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 630
I said I wouldn't...

I said I wouldn't... but I did anyway.

Got some new sneakers for my scoot. I opted to go with the Heidenau K60 (non Scout) front and the K 60 Scout on the rear. I had good luck with my past two Mefo Super Explorers on the rear, so I thought I'd try the Heidenau. However, I didn't have much luck with the Mefo Explorer front tire I tried last year. Instead I've been running with the Dunlop 606 in the front and I really like its performance off road, but the wear funny and rather quickly on the road.

I have a big trip coming up later this month, which may have a lot of road miles, so I thought I'd skip putting the knobby on it and go for a road tire. I found the (old?) K60 (non scouts) at CJ's site so I thought I'd try that for a change. Presumably it wouldn't be any worse than the Mefo front, but the tread is (supposedly a little deeper/more aggressive) than the K60 Scout front - not sure my but what the heck.

* insert picture of a new set of tires here *

The tires came today and I'll wait putting them on for another week or so (before my departure). Now to finish planning my trip......

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote