ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #6541
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post

The lower bolt of you crashbar seems to be comming out?
I am not too sure that the front brake line routing is correct, Looks like under fork compression the lines may get into the tyre?
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #6542
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
I am actually in the habit of checking my bike regularly, haven't locktighted them,may do, done 70,000kms so far without drama's...

what does FWIW mean?
thank you for your concern.
I prefer to drill the holes out to 6mm then use a long allen screw to pass all the way through the swingarm to a nyloc nut on the other side. Will never come loose then.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #6543
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
I am not too sure that the front brake line routing is correct, Looks like under fork compression the lines may get into the tyre?

That's how the 990 cables are routed... mine are the same way.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #6544
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Yes, from the factory, with a low fender to protect the hoses from the tyre...... but once that low fender is removed the hoses are not protected.

So the hoses should run the other side of the forks?

Have you tried moving the forks through full travel to observe the behaviour of the hoses? Take the handlebars off and loosen the fork caps?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #6545
Jaimoto
Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
I thinks that's the right way, the high fender forces the hoses to make a curve to the outside when the fork is compressed.

Big, Loud and Orange KTM 990 Adv
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #6546
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I thinks that's the right way, the high fender forces the hoses to make a curve to the outside when the fork is compressed.
OK, that's fine then :)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #6547
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskesven View Post
Continue...

I made a plate of aluminum to use the middle mounting point, i think i will be making a new plug and a remake of this in carbon this winter...

Mounted on bike, after a summer of abuse.

I destroyed the plug while trying to get it the skidplate loose from it, note to self: one layer of release agent is NOT enough..

This being my first ever Cf project, i had to learn on the fly....

while i was at it i also made a 30 plus layer carbon fiber sidstand relocator. I took all of the leftover cf stripes and made like a hamburger of 1 inch plywood, carbon fiber, plywood that i put to cure in a vise over night.

Also made a heat shield for the exhaust...

The took another beer and enjoyed the new look of the best bike made IMO.

Please excuse my grammar, but i think you would have even bigger problems understand me if i wrote in swedish

Hemskesven

Your CF items look great. One caution, it appears you are using epoxy resin for your finish products. If it is room temperature cure resin, it probably has a "low Service Temp use" Which means at higher temperatures the epoxy resin may become soft and your lay up will delaminate and the the part will fail under load. This is a particular concern with your side stand relocator bracket. Also be careful putting high loaded drilled holes too close to the edge of your laminate. In a high loaded part like the relocator bracket, when you drill holes into CF or fiberglass you compromised the fiber strands that must carry the loads. The best way to solve this is to put steel or Titanium inserts in your lay up to preform your holes, as then the fiber strands are not interrupted . Don't use aluminum as aluminum and CF create a galvanic reaction over time.
Epoxy resins that cure in a oven @ 350F have a service temperature in the 500 degree F range. Room temperature cure epoxys have ST around 200 F. That why polyester resin is used for heat shields and such.
Knowing the loads on the side stand I would not trust CF in that design.

If your not using epoxy excuse all of the above. Nice job on your mold making. Love your skid plate.
Jack
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #6548
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,951
Changed oil, loaded her up, and off with my hubby for an Anniversary Lost Coast/Oregon/Lassen ride.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #6549
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,385
Ran it on a go-kart track. Flogged it like it was stolen. The results below:

Bike: 950A, 8 y.o. in Nov, 57,000 miles, ATF in forks.
Rider: 59 y.o., gray hair in helmet. First time on this track.
Same tires I used on Montana grand tour this summer, 4000 miles.

The only other bike that was close was a well-ridden Triumph 675. I lapped all the other bikes.

Amazing bike, lots of fun, does almost everything well, and some things better than some would expect it should!
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #6550
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,477
Hanging out on a secluded bridge trail over the Deschutes river week after the Bend, Oregon rally.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #6551
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,439
I'm not seein any new toys on there...

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #6552
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskesven View Post
Continue...

I made a plate of aluminum to use the middle mounting point, i think i will be making a new plug and a remake of this in carbon this winter...

Mounted on bike, after a summer of abuse.

I destroyed the plug while trying to get it the skidplate loose from it, note to self: one layer of release agent is NOT enough..

This being my first ever Cf project, i had to learn on the fly....

while i was at it i also made a 30 plus layer carbon fiber sidstand relocator. I took all of the leftover cf stripes and made like a hamburger of 1 inch plywood, carbon fiber, plywood that i put to cure in a vise over night.

Also made a heat shield for the exhaust...

The took another beer and enjoyed the new look of the best bike made IMO.

Please excuse my grammar, but i think you would have even bigger problems understand me if i wrote in swedish
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
Hemskesven

Your CF items look great. One caution, it appears you are using epoxy resin for your finish products. If it is room temperature cure resin, it probably has a "low Service Temp use" Which means at higher temperatures the epoxy resin may become soft and your lay up will delaminate and the the part will fail under load. This is a particular concern with your side stand relocator bracket. Also be careful putting high loaded drilled holes too close to the edge of your laminate. In a high loaded part like the relocator bracket, when you drill holes into CF or fiberglass you compromised the fiber strands that must carry the loads. The best way to solve this is to put steel or Titanium inserts in your lay up to preform your holes, as then the fiber strands are not interrupted . Don't use aluminum as aluminum and CF create a galvanic reaction over time.
Epoxy resins that cure in a oven @ 350F have a service temperature in the 500 degree F range. Room temperature cure epoxys have ST around 200 F. That why polyester resin is used for heat shields and such.
Knowing the loads on the side stand I would not trust CF in that design.

If your not using epoxy excuse all of the above. Nice job on your mold making. Love your skid plate.
Jack
Nice work, great sump guard and exhaust shield. A concern using CF for the side stand relocater, don’t want to sound like I’m being biased. CF is an amazing material, but it’s kind of a has designed directional strength..I looked at making one using CF but my engineering guru said it would have to be individually designed, spun and moulded...I looked at a different design but the coast for both would have been too high...so other options of exotic alloys or titanium... again cost is high but uniform strength. Point is the side stand assembly is a heavy lump of metal to start bouncing down the freeway.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #6553
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 31,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Started mockup for my off-road trailer

I'm interested to hear what you are upto here Nick?

Are you building some sort of rear wheel chock?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #6554
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,113
I think it is a hitch for a single wheel trailer similar to a motomule unit or something
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #6555
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
I think it is a hitch for a single wheel trailer similar to a motomule unit or something
Geek, 1Bonehead has it correct. I love the Moto Mule design. But, I'd rather work at building my own, than actually spending my day job's money toward buying one (no offense, Mr. Bracket). I like to fabricate and "make it my own."

It does look like a chock. But, what you saw in the pic has been scrapped and I'm going with a through-the-axle design instead. Those lugs are built, as I learned today, to support the rear for a bike stand but they may not hold up to stresses from a trailer.

I'll get more pics up as I progress.