ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #6571
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Bolted up my forks that I just got back from getting rebuilt by SPS and rode the 990 to work.

Can't wait to get it on the trails and see if it was worth all that money!

Make sure you set the compression, rebound, and preload to your specs to make it feel even better!
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #6572
HooliKen
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,998
My SE came with one of the CJ's rear racks on it. First time I took it off I found that the PO had broken one of the welded on threaded fittings that the rack/grab handle bolt goes into. So after 5 years of wedging my hand into that slighty tight area I figured I would take a stab at fixing it. Being that I no way to weld aluminum nor any experience doing it I would go the epoxy route.

All I can say is that this stuff is the Balls!

Cleaned both surfaces and gooped it on there. Using an 8mm flange nut I had laying around.

Let it cure over night. Cleaned it up nice and neat. And put everything back together. Held to the 25Nm torque spec and unlike a lot of of epoxy's it stays a slightly pliable so it should not get brittle.

We will see how well it holds!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #6573
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
1) Just received a Shad KTM 46L with backrest

2) Working on the 'graphics' for my SeaHorse 540 (which currently looks like those bike couriers which carry blood- London knows what i mean!)
I used to do that years ago, before the Emergency Transfusion Service (as it was then) had their own bikes I dispatched for the company who held their account.

Having one of their boxes on board was carte blanche to do whatever the hell you wanted.

I got tugged at 95 on the Albert Embankment once and when the bobby saw what I was carrying he blues and twosed me the rest of the way!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #6574
Splisken
I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer: 127
A lot!!!

I spent a good portion of today tinkering with my 950 ser

1. oil/filter change
2. SAS/Canisterectomy
3. replaced about 80% of my wiring harness using a new factory OEM harness...still some to do.
4. replaced my old battery with a new EarthX lithium

A couple o pics:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8310/8...d934db5019.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/8...64e67a839a.jpg
Splisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #6575
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Fit Shad 46L top box..(the mounting bracket had to be machine drilled)
Fit the fork bleeders from KTM TWINS..no sound of air release when i took the screw out :(
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #6576
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I decided to break her down to complete the 9,300 mile service. Everything went to plan and I had all my parts lined up and ready to go (or so I thought)

Since it's my first time, I took things slow. Took forever to get down to the valve covers.

Once I got those off, I found that all of my exhaust valves were out of spec., they were all tight by .05mm...

Had to go out and get some shims from my local HD dealer. Installed them, but after re-measuring the clearances...all of them were thicker than their published size, so I'll get some more practice since they all come back out tomorrow and new one's are going in...bummer.

Did find this gunk on the inside of the throttle bodies. Funny the filter side is clean, but the valve side is gunky...

srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #6577
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
Fit the fork bleeders from KTM TWINS..no sound of air release when i took the screw out :(
Don't worry about that. I've not had air come out of my dirt bike forks after riding it most of a summer. Sometimes I get a lot after a day. Just depends.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #6578
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Had to go out and get some shims from my local HD dealer. Installed them, but after re-measuring the clearances...all of them were thicker than their published size, so I'll get some more practice since they all come back out tomorrow and new one's are going in.

I measured my "gap-meter" with micrometer, and noticed that '0.20mm blade' is really 0.22mm, 0.40mm happens to be 0.45mm, and so on... so check-up first your measure-blades before checking your valves...
then, at the dealers, check the shim's thickness with your own micrometer before you accept the thing... so you don't have to come back again to change them.

L
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #6579
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui€ View Post
I measured my "gap-meter" with micrometer, and noticed that '0.20mm blade' is really 0.22mm, 0.40mm happens to be 0.45mm, and so on... so check-up first your measure-blades before checking your valves...
then, at the dealers, check the shim's thickness with your own micrometer before you accept the thing... so you don't have to come back again to change them.

L
Good tip, never once thought to measure the feeler gauges to make sure they were still correct. And yeah, from now on my micrometer is going with me to the dealership. I ended up using shims a lot thinner than I calculated just because of the size difference (actual thickness vs marked thickness).
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #6580
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui€ View Post

L
Unfortunately my OCD has made sure I would not get a minutes sleep if I didn't do this among other things.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #6581
Mttodd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Fitted the Euro headlight and switch this weekend, along with a 55w HID kit. Unbelievable light output. The light pattern of the euro bucket is perfect. Also fitted some rigid dually's with the black dog triple tree mount. Truly impressive!
Mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #6582
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 1,001
Replaced the plastic ADV tank with this one from CJ.

Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #6583
duckboy810
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Ive got the euro headlight and switch sitting waiting on the dual 55w HID kit cant wait to have some actual light!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mttodd View Post
Fitted the Euro headlight and switch this weekend, along with a 55w HID kit. Unbelievable light output. The light pattern of the euro bucket is perfect. Also fitted some rigid dually's with the black dog triple tree mount. Truly impressive!
duckboy810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #6584
the foolish fellow
UP FOR IT

Oddometer: 140
new springs

fitted .58 fork springs, garmin montana, and headlamp grill.
X5 3.0d
FE 450 BERG
the foolish fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #6585
HDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Installed new tires (D606 - D908RR), new BDCW skid plate, new Oxford Heated Grips and a connector for Aerostich electric vest.

HDen