Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #6976
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,406
Well, I've been doing quite a bit to my bike. I thought it might be interesting to try to compress the last year in one post. The full story is in my build thread (sig line) but it's a bit epic. Here's the Clif Notes...

Took it apart a few times - more than a few really. Mostly I just wanted to powdercoat the swingarm black. Did that.

Put on a 320 rotor and made a bracket for a 4 piston brake.

Brembo master.

Blew up my engine.

Bought a 990SMR engine from Pyndon. Beginning of Mission Creep.

Thought, "I should make my own exhaust!" Ordered tube.

Spent the better part of a year learning how to weld stainless.

Left is first effort, right is end effort.

Made an exhaust.

Bought some of these.

One year of work, many dollars, lost 20+hp...

Considered quitting in disgust. Friends convinced me to keep going. Kept going. Found and fixed exhaust problems.

Found carb problems. Developed custom billet velocity stacks.

Clawed my way past old hp rating. Kept clawing, right past the 990R. (I'm red) So happy!

Painted the bike so it felt new.

Had Woody rebuild my wheels so they were new.

Helped my friend Chris develop the stacks, a TPS mount and lighter springs for the FCR's.

Decided we really needed a choke to make the carbs livable - developed a choke.

Finally put it all together. Wow, it works.

So glad I didn't quit. So happy I decide to start work on a 1080 big bore kit.

So that's what I did to my KTM. Now you're up to date. Have my sights set on 120rwhp. We'll see...

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #6977
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,259
To Saka...

I don't know what's more amazing... your bike's transformation over the last few years... Your patience in the process... Or your ability to summorize it all in the "What Did".

Yours is always a great inspirational "live vicariously thru" thread.

Through it all... do you feel like your bike has transformed permanently into a slab grabber, with the hp curves, exhaust flow, torque curve, suspension and wheelset? If so, was there a point of no returning to a dual sport bike. Or does it easily retain it's off roading character with a few swapouts and adjustments?

Thanks for the R&D.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #6978
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,364
...I was all proud of myself for learning to change my own oil til I read this. Sheesh
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #6979
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
...I was all proud of myself for learning to change my own oil til I read this. Sheesh
You should be proud.
That is the first major accomplishment of maintenance on a KTM Adventure.
The journey begins...
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #6980
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I don't know what's more amazing... your bike's transformation over the last few years... Your patience in the process... Or your ability to summorize it all in the "What Did".

Yours is always a great inspirational "live vicariously thru" thread.

Through it all... do you feel like your bike has transformed permanently into a slab grabber, with the hp curves, exhaust flow, torque curve, suspension and wheelset? If so, was there a point of no returning to a dual sport bike. Or does it easily retain it's off roading character with a few swapouts and adjustments?

Thanks for the R&D.
Hi Surfer! Thanks.

It's funny, Gino and I were just talking about that last night. We're both itching for another big trip and Alaska is the only state I've not ridden to and I live in Portland - the perfect starting point and the perfect bike for the trip.

For sure my bike will still be ridden in the dirt. Honestly, one of the big reasons I wanted to move to Portland over back to Colorado was that I think the riding is more diverse and I'd not ridden that part of the country. Oregon was made for the 990 with the big wheels and I suspect that when the bike makes it back there it will wear the big wheels at least half or more of the time. The torque now means I'll never need to run the 16 counter shaft sprocket again - in fact keeping the taller gearing will probably be helpful. It's a fast swap as both wheels have rotors - 15min tops.

Also, I don't have the same desire to do the really stupid epic single track stuff I used to do with it. I did it. It's hard to pick up. I don't need to do it anymore. I will for sure be using it to explore logging roads and double track all over next summer. I'll certainly ride it down to Steamboat with the big wheels. Does it have too much torque to ride off road? Meh. It had too much when it was stock. I think it will be fine depending on my ability to control myself but I do think my knobby life will get shorter! I used to love spinning knobbies up on pavement and that's only going to be easier.

Patrol - 25 years ago I started with changing the oil on my old boxer. Little by little I kept learning. The wrenching and building is for me as much part of my passion for bikes as the riding. I think that's why I'd hate California - winter is the time to take them apart and make stuff.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #6981
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,862
Getting to know my new (to me) 990. 200 miles after purchase, time for tear down to perform the cannisterectomy (and whatever else comes to mind).

I spent so much time on the KTM sites reading about the cannisterectomy, that I was able to do it from memory

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #6982
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Wink LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Good info. Why the need for a relay? Always read a resistor may be needed due to the difference in power requirement but that was on other bikes.

Do the Rizmo signals light up on the back side? Look like they're clear and seem like it would be annoying at nite, esp. with LED brightness. (Checked the site - so how bad is the rear flashing from the front signals?

Are they plug and play or do you have to change the end connections? (Did they have a connector for their wiring kit that worked for the OEM connector?)

What color inserts did you get for the rear? All white since the cover is red or red LED as well?

How flexible are they in case of a fall----I mean when I fall
Thanks

So I used a relay for LEDs, it eliminates the use of resistors. The rizoma s came with all the necessary resistors though.
Yes, they are visible from the back and sides. But I can't see them while in the normal seated position. The 950 fairing hides them from my line of sight. And they are half the length of OE indicators. They are more flexible than OE also.
I had to splice and dice them in. I used waterproof 16-18 gauge bullet connectors (female) as the indicators come with male bullet connectors. The rear ones are bit of a pain due to the taillight wiring cluster.
Tight fit. Got the bullet connectors @ pep boys. I wrapped every connection with "rescue tape" self fusing silicone tape.
Got it at OSH hardware store and amazon carries it. Good stuff.
And I used red LEDs for the taillight bulbs. Recommended for red lenses.
Taillight is super bright!
superhak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #6983
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol View Post
...i was all proud of myself for learning to change my own oil til i read this. Sheesh
ha
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #6984
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Put a new battery in and started her up. Listening to it idle now. Love the freaking sound of this thing! 3 eels has been way too long.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #6985
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Rear Sprocket Upgrade

Completed install of 50 tooth rear sprocket. Now running 16/50. 2000rpm = 10mph. Used a 120 link chain. Adjuster are almost bottomed out. The Beastie lofts the front wheel rather nicely now.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #6986
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
End of the World mail run

It was a nice day so I thought I would go and get the mail today with the KTM. It is about a 1/4 of a mile down the street. It took me over 50 miles to get there.

I was instructed to keep it short.

It was a good day, roads were fairly empty of people. I got a nice good coating of grim on the 950. Of course I had to go down the one road with Ice on it... The bike slid farther than I did. I guess the crash bars still work.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #6987
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Wicked

Took it out an acted like a hooligan.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #6988
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,586
Laugh Took Delivery Of Her .... F i n a l l y

She finally arrived, got within two miles of where we are staying and the truck shat itself, we had to chase her back ver to the other side of Phoenix 40 miles away to get her but we won.

In the trailer

Gettin freed

On our way

Bit of cheek off dancing ... she is tall and I am a hobbit

Tomorrow we wash her down, change a few bits and pieces and we are one step closer to resuming our trip
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #6989
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Sweeeeet!

Congrats Andi!
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #6990
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
tis the season for farkles

installed the KTM frame protectors, fit great and look nice too

[IMG]Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App[/IMG]