ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #7306
srad600
Studly Adventurer
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Oakland, Kalli Fornia
Oddometer: 683
more like "what will I be doing this weekend"

Picked up a "Rad" new front wheel, so I can chuck the taco that's up there now...tasty...




Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Congrats on the new bike. White is the sexiest color.

I think 7500 pounds is your towing weight not tongue weight. If it is a class three hitch it is rated for 500 pound tongue weight.
That may be true stock, but it's easy to up that number. I had some metal plate welded to the subframe of my jeep which upped the tongue rating to 1,500 (according to the shop that did the work). I've carried sportbikes on my hitch carrier for days on end with no issues. Also, I believe...don't quote me though...that the tongue weight rating is based soley on the ability of your chassis to carry that weight, not on the hitch itself.

srad600 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:07 PM
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #7307
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
biggus's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Picked up a "Rad" new front wheel, so I can chuck the taco that's up there now...tasty...






That may be true stock, but it's easy to up that number. I had some metal plate welded to the subframe of my jeep which upped the tongue rating to 1,500 (according to the shop that did the work). I've carried sportbikes on my hitch carrier for days on end with no issues. Also, I believe...don't quote me though...that the tongue weight rating is based soley on the ability of your chassis to carry that weight, not on the hitch itself.
How much did that set up cost you if I may ask?
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #7308
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!
 
Mr_Snips's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Oddometer: 352
I ordered some 1000 denier cordura nylon to fix my gobi panniers. That plastic piece that i see ripped on almost every one i see.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate
Familiar. My stock response: "Most people die in bed. So, where do you sleep?"
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #7309
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
I ordered some 1000 denier cordura nylon to fix my gobi panniers. That plastic piece that i see ripped on almost every one i see.
Please post pictures when you're done. I purchased some used gobi's that don't have the covers in place, and I would like to do the same upgrade.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #7310
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 4,128
Another inmate replaced that hinge with some rubber mat material available from Home Depot. Looked really nice.
It was too long ago to search back thru this thread to find the pics again.
__________________
Tom-2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #7311
the cavalier
adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 22
side walk brake job!

I installed new brake pads while parked on the street in NYC today!
I did it with ease to.
Then I went on a urban ride breaking in my brakes and all was good.

but then.

Once parked i decided to check my battery voltage. While running up my RPM'S to test my RR the bike puttered out then died. I came back to it 2 hours later and it wont start!?! The battery is strong [thank god] but the engine wont turn over. there is plenty of gas.

if i give it throttle, or open up my choke wide while starting it, i get a metal clank sound. i hate that sound. sounds damaging. But it could be a clue. my first hunch is gas. flooded? i tried starting it with the petcock off to burn it off. and then with it on again. the bike sounded the exact same. my gas lines around the pump looked fine. but they are hard to see with my safari tanks.

I'm at a loss. what happened? I did such a good job changing my pads, now the bike is broke again?...!

[I tried searching the orange crush forum. but it's not working. sends me to a blank white page.]

any thoughts?
Thanks.
the cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #7312
HeatXfer
Bad knees
 
HeatXfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Mine went at about 32,000 miles. Not rebuildable. The cylinder that the piston runs in was fecked. I replaced mine with the Evo. I think they are out of business. Here's a linky to the Oberon: http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...c8-slave-unit/

Looks like Rekluse now makes an adjustable slave: http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...er-detail.html

Best of luck.
It was the master cylinder seal that popped, but I will be replacing both the slave & the master as a result of this failure - thanks for the links an info

And thanks Dad2bike - I know where to go for the juice!
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #7313
Orangecicle
On a "Quest"
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
It was the master cylinder seal that popped, but I will be replacing both the slave & the master as a result of this failure - thanks for the links an info

And thanks Dad2bike - I know where to go for the juice!
Oh, missed that. That's a known issue as well. Go to Google and type this as a search term:

site:advrider.com "orange crush" master cylinder
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann
"Gravity is a very fickle mistress." -- Unknown
"Throttle to the donkey!" -- Marc Coma
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #7314
srad600
Studly Adventurer
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Oakland, Kalli Fornia
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
How much did that set up cost you if I may ask?
Including shipping, the total was about $690. Not as "cheap" as I'd prefer, but good bang for the buck considering I wanted a 1.85, and all the anno. & billet hub.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #7315
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jimmibanke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 102
after many hours and around 700 holes later Ive produced a bunch of footpeg extensions, they are effective but a bit raw in the finish:)






cheers
jimmibanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #7316
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Oddometer: 259
Got the stripped out oil drain plug out and replaced. It took an easy out, and lots of lube to get the bolt out. While I was working on the bike I cleaned the air filter, and mounted a set of Flexx bars.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #7317
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer
 
chrish4ku's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: San Leandro, CA
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post

You beat me to it! and Chris don't put that tank on yet i need it..

Haha I meant 750 LBS tongue weight, and no it's like 6500 towing capacity. Good enough for a triple trailer and 3 KTMs!!

Just air up the rear tires, and it isn't a big deal actually.
__________________
_______________________
Chris
I don't normally ride on the street,,,but when I do,,I prefer lane splitting.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #7318
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer
 
chrish4ku's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: San Leandro, CA
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
Congrats on the new bike.....what dealer you get it from?

Picked off the 2011 they had on the floor forever in Livermore.... Good guys, no BS, Renee is super cool.
__________________
_______________________
Chris
I don't normally ride on the street,,,but when I do,,I prefer lane splitting.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #7319
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer
 
75monza's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 355
Fuel Pump still work? Can you hear it pump up when you turn the key on?

I have seen a couple die suddenly while in use.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the cavalier View Post
I installed new brake pads while parked on the street in NYC today!
I did it with ease to.
Then I went on a urban ride breaking in my brakes and all was good.

but then.

Once parked i decided to check my battery voltage. While running up my RPM'S to test my RR the bike puttered out then died. I came back to it 2 hours later and it wont start!?! The battery is strong [thank god] but the engine wont turn over. there is plenty of gas.

if i give it throttle, or open up my choke wide while starting it, i get a metal clank sound. i hate that sound. sounds damaging. But it could be a clue. my first hunch is gas. flooded? i tried starting it with the petcock off to burn it off. and then with it on again. the bike sounded the exact same. my gas lines around the pump looked fine. but they are hard to see with my safari tanks.

I'm at a loss. what happened? I did such a good job changing my pads, now the bike is broke again?...!

[I tried searching the orange crush forum. but it's not working. sends me to a blank white page.]

any thoughts?
Thanks.
__________________
2006 KTM 950 Adventure - Go Everywhere Bike
1993 Suzuki GSX1100G - Street Touring Shafty
2000 Suzuki DR200 - A Little Smaller
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #7320
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer
 
75monza's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 355
This is what I did. I think I spent a whole $4.00 on the black rubber from Home Depot and I have enough left to do it another 3 times. It turned out really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Another inmate replaced that hinge with some rubber mat material available from Home Depot. Looked really nice.
It was too long ago to search back thru this thread to find the pics again.
__________________
2006 KTM 950 Adventure - Go Everywhere Bike
1993 Suzuki GSX1100G - Street Touring Shafty
2000 Suzuki DR200 - A Little Smaller
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015