Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #7351
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 793
Mounted some tires and the wings exhaust, then a test ride.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #7352
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Nice work. Aren't u gonna put a tube between the stock peg and the extension for more lateral strength ?
Like these? Not strong enough.

The new ones are much stronger, strong enough i would say, 4 bolts contra 3 bolts. They have to brake apart before the frame mount brakes. So its a fine balance between things

jimmibanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #7353
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmibanke View Post
Like these? Not strong enough.

The new ones are much stronger, strong enough i would say, 4 bolts contra 3 bolts. They have to brake apart before the frame mount brakes. So its a fine balance between things

I'm sorry, but the comment about breaking the frame because the foot pegs are 1 inch longer always troubles me. Stating that this is a fine balance without having done exhaustive finite element analysis to understand if this is a problem is just a shade tree mechanics. There are so many variables involved with this, that it is meaningless to state that the method you are attaching the extension with will really even matter. What type of alloy is used in the frame? In the frame weld? What is the quality of the weld? Same questions for the foot pegs material. What about the type of impact? Which direction, tip over or high side or slide? What is the rate of impact?

If you want longer pegs, weld on some extensions with reasonable end loop reinforcement, and be done with it. No sense over thinking this problem.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #7354
fat spider
Scary Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
whoa ..... ! something doesn't look right
are you sure that is the new upgraded water pump shaft ?
it looks like the old style
the new upgraded shaft should be black if I am not mistaken, like the one in dogslobbers post

I'm interested in this black shaft stuff, I always carry a spare shaft and seal in my kit on long rides but my spare is silver like the original, it was purchased around 2 years ago and was supposed to be the upgraded version at that stage.
Can anyone tell me the difference between it and the black one and when the black one was released
fat spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #7355
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat spider View Post
I'm interested in this black shaft stuff, I always carry a spare shaft and seal in my kit on long rides but my spare is silver like the original, it was purchased around 2 years ago and was supposed to be the upgraded version at that stage.
Can anyone tell me the difference between it and the black one and when the black one was released
A better idea would to get a truly hardened shaft that will really last:

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...-cover-gasket/

{No affiliation. It's just a good product).
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #7356
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 671
Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat spider View Post
The black one is the original out of my SE. I have a CJ one in the WP kit I got from him, but couldn't see putting it in, when the black one looked good.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #7357
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm sorry, but the comment about breaking the frame because the foot pegs are 1 inch longer always troubles me. Stating that this is a fine balance without having done exhaustive finite element analysis to understand if this is a problem is just a shade tree mechanics. There are so many variables involved with this, that it is meaningless to state that the method you are attaching the extension with will really even matter. What type of alloy is used in the frame? In the frame weld? What is the quality of the weld? Same questions for the foot pegs material. What about the type of impact? Which direction, tip over or high side or slide? What is the rate of impact?

If you want longer pegs, weld on some extensions with reasonable end loop reinforcement, and be done with it. No sense over thinking this problem.
You can read my post in two ways, the scientist way or just common sense. You cant predict how a fall would be in a forrest or any other place 100% . The only thing i can say is that they hold up too me 100% when im jumping hard on them. So when I say its a fine balance between things, its not the scientist speaking, its just my common sense speaking.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #7358
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can read my post in two ways, the scientist way or just common sense. You cant predict how a fall would be in a forrest or any other place 100% . The only thing i can say is that they hold up too me 100% when im jumping hard on them. So when I say its a fine balance between things, its not the scientist speaking, its just my common sense speaking.
I've signed up to be a crash test dummy for Jimmie, so I'll let you know.

"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #7359
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 647
Took the rear shock to the doctor today. It bled on the shed floor all its contents.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #7360
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I've signed up to be a crash test dummy for Jimmie, so I'll let you know.

Hehe im excited to hear what you think of them
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #7361
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Thanks for being understanding of the Anal Hypen Retentive engineering community on ADV Sometimes we just can't help ourselves.

My peg extension project is here.

I absolutely love the longer pegs. It is much more comfortable to stand when you have support all the way across your foot.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #7362
jimmibanke
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Thanks for being understanding of the Anal Hypen Retentive engineering community on ADV Sometimes we just can't help ourselves.

My peg extension project is here.

I absolutely love the longer pegs. It is much more comfortable to stand when you have support all the way across your foot.
Anal Hypen Retentive engineering community arent there a shorter word for that? He he

Those pegs are fine have you done some offroading with them yet?
Only downside is, that they require a welder and some spare pegs. But nice and wide
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #7363
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Anal Hypen Retentive engineering community arent there a shorter word for that? He he

Those pegs are fine have you done some offroading with them yet?
Only downside is, that they require a welder and some spare pegs. But nice and wide
Yes, I've done a little bit of a off road on them. A friend thought that I might start catching them on things when riding off road, but I doubt I'm going to be riding in huge ruts or around a big rocks with this bike.

Yes, it requires a welder. Doesn't everyone need an excuse to buy more tools? I used my cheap harbor freight mig welder to weld this.

I got the pegs free from the pay it forward thread on ADV rider. My other option was to purchase peg extensions from one of the online stores, but then I would have to fabricate some kind of web to fill the empty loop on the end.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #7364
JTMETZ54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Had some spare time today, so I got around to putting on a couple extras on the 990. I ordered the Wolman Expedition saddle bags as well as their rack system. I must say, I'm very impressed with the quaility of both products. Looking forward to taking my trip to the PNW even more now.

Has anybody done the hard bag kit from Wolfman? I have some Pelicans around the would work great.

I also bolted on the bar riser kit from KTMtwins, I felt really bent ove rbefore when standing now it feels much more comfortable.
JTMETZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #7365
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMETZ54 View Post

Has anybody done the hard bag kit from Wolfman?
It wouldn't be hard at all to make your own mounts, real cheap. Here are mine:

Blocks of Delrin/Acetal work great for mounting Pelicans.