Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #7441
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Sounds like fun!

I did 18k of traveling on the KTM last summer and HATED the 17t/42 sprocket setup on the highway. Even at 80mph the I'd have to shift down..twice sometimes, to pass cars or it would kinda buck and snort at me. Went to 16/45 and actually love it on the highway. sure the rpm is up a bit more but you can now actually use the power.
Been running 16/45 for a little over a year now. Love the grunt off the line but this trip will be higher speed. Planning on running 17/45.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #7442
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 140
Picked up an Impreza full of KTM spare for my Adv.

Full

Now to sort through it all and order some service items and get the beast up and snorting.

(After processing my spares I may have triples of some parts to sell on *maybe)
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #7443
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Sad, so sad . . .

Sad so sad to see a KTM in this condition.

But, that's what ya gotta do to:
  • Change the balancer shaft seal,
  • Upgrade the water pump to the CJ Designs shaft,
  • Check the valves,
  • Tighten the head bolts,
  • Change the plugs,
  • Service the forks,
  • Tighten the triple tree,
  • Install a new front tire,
  • Install sprockets and chain,
  • Install a new air cleaner,
  • Install Samco hoses,
  • Service the rear shock,
  • Service the swing arm,
  • Add a new bash plate, and
  • Install other bits and pieces.

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #7444
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Sad so sad to see a KTM in this condition.

But, that's what ya gotta do to:
  • Service the rear shock,
  • Service the swing arm,

GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #7445
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
I know. The rear is getting done once the forks are finished. Right now the rear and a rope are keeping everything stable. I like to focus on one end of the bike at a time. Rushing suspension repairs can really jack with your day, ya know?

Orangecicle screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:46 PM
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #7446
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzach View Post
No skiing today , perfect time to install the steering damper I got few days back .
Nothing special I guess but this is something I wanted on my 950 for a while now .(it still will Not make me a better rider , nothing can cure that : )

ready for a quick ride

The 450 will probably be next .
I installed the Scotts Damper on my 950SE last year. It was like magic. The bike was instantly tamed down on the freeway. The dreaded head shake all but vanished. Well, up until about 120 anyway, but on knobs I figure that's probably about time to stop twisting anyway. Awesome product.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #7447
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Been running 16/45 for a little over a year now. Love the grunt off the line but this trip will be higher speed. Planning on running 17/45.
At the risk of starting an accidental math war, I had understood that reducing the front countershaft sprocket by one tooth was akin to adding three teeth to the rear sprocket (rounded up to the next whole number). If that was the case, wouldn't running a 17/45 be the same as running a 16/42?

If so, that would be back to stock (at least on the 2010 990) and would likely reduce potential axle spacer issues (or chain length issues).

Just a thought. I assume the idea was that it'd be cheaper to just buy a larger countershaft sprocket to work with the existing 45 rear. But if you are one to replace them both at the same time, stock gearing might be easier on the chain.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #7448
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
At the risk of starting an accidental math war, I had understood that reducing the front countershaft sprocket by one tooth was akin to adding three teeth to the rear sprocket (rounded up to the next whole number). If that was the case, wouldn't running a 17/45 be the same as running a 16/42?

If so, that would be back to stock (at least on the 2010 990) and would likely reduce potential axle spacer issues (or chain length issues).

Just a thought. I assume the idea was that it'd be cheaper to just buy a larger countershaft sprocket to work with the existing 45 rear. But if you are one to replace them both at the same time, stock gearing might be easier on the chain.
one tooth up front is 2.87 in the rear But going smaller of both just means less chain length/weight and more wear on the chain (Tighter radius means more wear) Oh, and i took it for a nice ride. Sunnyvale to Stevenscreek Reservoir to 9 to Skyline, Down into woodside then onto 280 up to 92, to 101 and up to Scuderia. Then back down 101 to Sunnyvale. Some of the cagers on 101 or stupid. Had one clown that decided he wasnt going to allow me to split in 10MPH traffic. Driver next to him saw what was going on and waved me through. I did adjust A Hole's Mirror for him as I went by. It was obviously out of whack.

Qwik screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 10:53 PM
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #7449
Gil.caz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wasn't today, but I took it up to Santa Cruz and back to corona CA over the weekend. Trying to wear out the stock tires so I can get a more dirt worthy set.

Gil.caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #7450
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Fitted new sprockets today to the SE. 16 45. Had run 16 48 through Asia, but I got the bike back from there this week.

Was about to fit the new chain, but the chain adjuster on the end of the axle fell off in two parts... had been broken for quite a while by the look of it. Glad it happened at home, not up near the Laos border where I last had the axle out.

Found the sight glass window on the rear master cylinder had popped out. Tapped it back in and bled the brakes. Seems to be retaining the fluid.

New battery was needed too. My Lithium Ion battery shit itself last August over on the Burma border and I threw in the only battery I could get. It didn't survive the three months shipping process (disconnected). Wouldn't take a charge.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #7451
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post

You're correct that 17/45 (2.65:1) is roughly the same as 16/42 (2.63:1). But I believe EZ300 is basing his change on the 45t rear sprocket, using 16/45 for acceleration, and 17/45 for highway cruising. I'm pretty sure the stock chain is long enough for 17/45.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #7452
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Was about to fit the new chain, but the chain adjuster on the end of the axle fell off in two parts... had been broken for quite a while by the look of it. Glad it happened at home, not up near the Laos border where I last had the axle out.
CJDesigns sells a billet a axle block set. Well worth the investment.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #7453
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
CJDesigns sells a billet a axle block set. Well worth the investment.

+1 CJ designs sells a solution for global warming too. He's that good.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #7454
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
+1 CJ designs sells a solution for global warming too. He's that good.
Agreed... I've got some of his gear already. His solution would have been cheaper and better than the standard KTM Australia rip-off, but I need to get the bike back on the road for a ride this weekend... so KTM are winging an axle to me supposedly by tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #7455
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Agreed... I've got some of his gear already. His solution would have been cheaper and better than the standard KTM Australia rip-off, but I need to get the bike back on the road for a ride this weekend... so KTM are winging an axle to me supposedly by tomorrow.

Wow - Australia is a hell of a long way away...

Damn spell check ehhh
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote