Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7546
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Hi,

Could yo explain it better? Does it ride like an automatic?

Nic
The EXP turns the clutch into semi-automatic gear box. Meaning that you don't have to engage the clutch leaver with your left hand to get it in gear or to change gears. Also the bike can now stand in idle in gear without pulling the clutch leaver and without stalling.

You can see in the video I posted that I'm standing still in 1st gear and the bike is still running but the clutch leaver is not engaged. As soon as I turn the throttle, the gear engages and the bike takes off.

Gear box is not full auto because the rider still has to change the gears with the left foot. But this is done without pulling the clutch leaver.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #7547
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Go ride the bike for about an hour then just put the bike on the kickstand and pull the clutch cover. If you have a vanilla milkshake on the inside of the cover then you need to call CJ. You have to ride it for a while to get it hot enough to burn off all the condensation, think CJ said something to this effect and I've seen the same thing with my clear clutch cover.
If you have a slow coolant leak, you wont see any milkshake.
Theres an old thread I posted about 2-3 years ago - I had a slow coolant leak (undetected because the rad cap had also failed to do its job so the reservoir tank was still full) - and there was no evidence of emulsion in the oil.
However, the oil filter was eeever-so-slightly wavey - like the one pictured - and I wondered the same thing at the time. In my limited observation, healthy oil filters tend to be straight-as-a-die.

Always check your actual radiator fluid level - dont just rely on the reservoir level.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #7548
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
What bothers me about this mod is that you lose the magnetic collector that is at the part of the stock oil tank plug. I wish there was a way around this.
I don't think you need a magnet with the hose. The magnet is not powerful enough to pull metal fragments from the tank. The metal fragments are heavy and they sink to the bottom of the tank. The magnet simply holds these fragments that sink on top of it because the plug is att the bottom of the oil tank.

Any metal parts that sink/fall into the hose (because it is in the bottom of the tank) will be trapped at the bottom of the hose. This is the same as being trapped on the magnet. There is no way for heavy metal fragments to float back up the hose. The fragments will be extracted from the tank when the hose is opened and drained.

Of course, you won't be able to see the shards when you drain the hose, unless you rummage through the drained oil...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #7549
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Changed the brakepads, by the looks of it, it was about time
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #7550
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierS View Post
Changed the brakepads, by the looks of it, it was about time
On the 1190 Adv it would go into limp mode if less than 2mm of pad, then if the pads are not changed and the ECU reset (using the KTM authorised PC hardwired to the KTM international dealernet database) within 200 miles it will apply the immobiliser and service crew auto callout via GSM/GPRS/GPS.

Honest ;)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #7551
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
On the 1190 Adv it would go into limp mode if less than 2mm of pad, then if the pads are not changed and the ECU reset (using the KTM authorised PC hardwired to the KTM international dealernet database) within 200 miles it will apply the immobiliser and service crew auto callout via GSM/GPRS/GPS.

Honest ;)
Oh, I don't like where this is going.

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #7552
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Brought it back to life today:

Orangecicle screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 05:23 PM
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #7553
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Brought it back to life today:

Your first day of spring was about like ours... cold
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #7554
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Your first day of spring was about like ours... cold
No sheisse! It was 14.5F this morning when I left for work. And no, I did not ride to work.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #7555
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Theres an old thread I posted about 2-3 years ago - I had a slow coolant leak (undetected because the rad cap had also failed to do its job so the reservoir tank was still full) - and there was no evidence of emulsion in the oil.
However, the oil filter was eeever-so-slightly wavey - like the one pictured - and I wondered the same thing at the time. In my limited observation, healthy oil filters tend to be straight-as-a-die.

Always check your actual radiator fluid level - dont just rely on the reservoir level.
Hmm...learn something new every day...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #7556
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post

Honest ;)
You are kidding right, so even if you change them yourself you have to go past a dealer to reset the computer? No way of doing that at home? I know you can do that yourself on a bmw car for instance...
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #7557
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Rode it!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #7558
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
speaking of the devil...

on another note,

what do you you think of this filter? please tell me im being paranoid and those waves are nothing to be concerned about.

2012 990R with 2,600 miles. oil changed at 500 and current.

laramie
It's possible but it would be strange to have it only in that area. They will usually look more like this or worse.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #7559
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post

My brand new filter was not straight-as-a-die when i put it in.

Done today:
Valves on the front cilinder. Ofcourse i had to strip one of the nuts.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/103697227/I...320_154706.jpg
Cleaned carbs and put new ACV valves in.
Build airbox and carbs back on the engine (if god did not know me, he knows me now)
Put a new Renthal KTM High bend on her, waaaay better then the horrible stock bars. Perfect for my long arms.

All i have to do now is rebuild brakes, give the chain some love, grease the wheelbearings and check the wheels themselfs and button everything back up. Praying for some sunny weather next week. Might go explore some German roads and woods if i'm blessed with good weather.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 03:33 PM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #7560
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
New 908 rear

Swapped a Heidenau K60 (150) rear for a fresh Dunlop 908 (140), in anticipation of the wet.
Cleaned and greased the bearings, axles, etc...

Got over 7K from the Heidi, and there was still enough rubber left to likely get another 1K+.
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote