Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #8402
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post

Another observation...

After buttoning everything back up, put in 2.5 liters per the manual. Ran the engine until 7 bars lit up on the temperature gauge. Put in another 0.5 liters. Ran it for awhile again. Checked the dip stick, which indicated oil level just above MIN. Went for a proper ride (i.e. typical or actual operating temperature) and measured the oil level again, which indicated oil level just below MAX..
oof. i just did my oil today, and did the same thing as you mentioned, but i topped off the bike after getting the bike warmed up to 7 bars. it was right in the middle of the range after i was done.

so, after i go for a real ride, i will most likely be overfull then? i will recheck during the week when i can get out for a half hour or so.
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #8403
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Changed out my rear tire last night after 9 months of abuse. Took the K60 scout off and put on a MEFO SE. Did the change by hand to see if I would be able to do it in the field. It...was....not.....fun. At one point my wife asked me what all the cursing was about. I would not want to have to do that again trail side.

Ayway, got it done, and first impressions tell me that the K60 was much more planted on the street. Haven't been able to do a dirt test yet.
srad600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #8404
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
K60 vs. MEFO SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Changed out my rear tire last night after 9 months of abuse. Took the K60 scout off and put on a MEFO SE. Did the change by hand to see if I would be able to do it in the field. It...was....not.....fun. At one point my wife asked me what all the cursing was about. I would not want to have to do that again trail side.

Ayway, got it done, and first impressions tell me that the K60 was much more planted on the street. Haven't been able to do a dirt test yet.
Did just the opposite on my 990ADV. I've been running a MEFO SE in all kinds of weather on good and bad pavement but only moderate off road. It has 8k miles on it and probably another 4k-6k before it's worn out. I absolutely love it.

However, I wanted to run my homemade tubeless rim on a ride to the Arctic Circle so had to go with the K60. I figured it would make tire repair much easier on the off-road stuff.

Arrrgghhhhh... I've NEVER struggled so much changing a tire. I finally sent the little woman to the parts store to get some long truck tire irons. Even at that I had to put wood blocks between the bead and the rim to hold the bead down in the drop -my Motion Pro Bead Buddy 2 wouldn't reach the spokes of that big KTM rim.

I swear, I'd rather mount a tire with a Bib Mousse which I used to think was the worst tire job in the world.

The front K60 was a snap after slaving over the rear. In fact it was so easy I took it off a couple of times to rotate it a bit each time to optimize balance.

Long story short, the K60 ran fine on long highway stretches in very hot weather and stuck good on the rainy days. They seemed OK on the Dempster Highway which is a mixture of gravel and mud. I had a pretty heavy get-off in some deep gravel but I chalk that up to poor riding technique.

Overall, I think I'll go back with the MEFO SE which is on my other non-tubeless rim. There's no way on earth I could change that K60 on the road if something happened that couldn't be repaired with a tubeless tire plug.

-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #8405
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post

...There's no way on earth I could change that K60 on the road if something happened that couldn't be repaired with a tubeless tire plug.

-Shov
Just rode the Dempster in June this year.
Picked up a nail in the K60 and had to change the tube.
It wasn't hard at all. I think the tires get more pliable as you put miles on them.
This one had about 4000 miles on it when it flatted.

2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #8406
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,478
New chain and sprockets went on. Went with a 16-45 combo to bring the rpms up a bit in 6th. With the previous 16-42 combo, the engine always felt like it was lugging a bit at cruising speed. ~75 in 6th gear, rpm was ~4800. Now, it's a tick about 5K at the same speed, and has a better roll-on. It's a bit buzzy in the lower gears, and the shifts come on a bit faster, but I think I can live with it.

I feel like I've been neglecting the 950 and instead giving all the love to the boat I bought two years ago. Re-did the carpet and interior, did some engine work, rebuilt the back seat and generally loved it up for the last two summers. I think next summer, the KTM is going to be pampered, probably new pipes and maybe a suspension revalve and rebuild (funds permitting).
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #8407
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Overall, I think I'll go back with the MEFO SE which is on my other non-tubeless rim. There's no way on earth I could change that K60 on the road if something happened that couldn't be repaired with a tubeless tire plug.

-Shov
I agree, I would not want to have to do that job on the road. It took forever just to break the bead loose on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Picked up a nail in the K60 and had to change the tube.
It wasn't hard at all. I think the tires get more pliable as you put miles on them.
This one had about 4000 miles on it when it flatted.
I dunno, my rear had almost 12k miles on it when I changed it, and it was definitely NOT pliable. That being said, yours may have been easier to remove since the tire was warm? Rolling around on a flat tends to get the carcass very hot. Either that or you are one seriously burly dude.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #8408
shakin_jake
F-u-h-r-i-ggg!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Huge bubbles!!!! So ugly, i had to pinch them. I preferred the wrinkles. In any case, the day I bought the bike I knew it wouldn't be long before I would send it to the paint shop.... I dreaded the orange vynils and the orange high fender. I know some inmates love them, but mine made the bike look like it was sticking its tongue out. So for three weeks I did nothing but search this forum for inspiration, and once I saw Desert surfer's bike I saw the true aesthetic potential of my bike. Four weeks after buying my 950, I finally love the way it looks...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

~~~Bravo Bravissimo Salvador!!! The paint shop you chose did a very nice job with your tanks. I'm curious...did they re-spray or only remove the vinyl?

Here's my 05.5'-

wasn't always this way...I'm 3rd owner. When I bought it from the 2nd owner, the vinyl on both sides was perfect (June 2010). IIRC, the bubbles didn't appear until 2012 in the spring. There was only one or two bubbles and I didn't think much about them then one time I met up with a few others and someone mentioned what was there and asked if there was something I could do get rid of the air under the vinyl

I went on to explain it happens to this model and that I never really gave it any thought, so later that day after getting home I used a sewing needle to create a way for the air to release. Big mistake...doing so only created many mini bubbles

For sure, I'd like to drop off the tanks to a pro and let em' strip the vinyl, see if they can clean it up w/o having to re-shoot the paint, and as fugly as it looks...it really is on the bottom of my to do list with this bike

Anyways, your bike came out real nice Salvador...it's a real looker!

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:

Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
shakin_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #8409
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
~~~Bravo Bravissimo Salvador!!! The paint shop you chose did a very nice job with your tanks. I'm curious...did they re-spray or only remove the vinyl?
Hi Shakin_jake, the job was a full re-spray. It took them about a week. I'm glad you like it!!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #8410
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Here's another photo.

[IMG] http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7833/yuor.jpg [/IMG]
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #8411
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
I agree, I would not want to have to do that job on the road. It took forever just to break the bead loose on both sides.

I dunno, my rear had almost 12k miles on it when I changed it, and it was definitely NOT pliable. That being said, yours may have been easier to remove since the tire was warm? Rolling around on a flat tends to get the carcass very hot. Either that or you are one seriously burly dude.

Hmmm....Im no tire expert by any means, but I've been changing my own tires on my Ducati 748 and SPS without much fuss. The trick is leverage (obviously ....). Granted I have a block screwed into the garage wall and use a couple of 2x4 pieces to pop the bead....but In the field Im sure something similar can be jerry rigged.

This is pretty muc what I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC_QNHU4c64

As for tire irons, Crappy tire here in Canada has ATV tire irons that work like a charm and are not too big so they can be stashed in your kit: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

My 2 cents
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #8412
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:

I have the Motion Pro bead breaker. It works like a charm to break the bead. I brought them in March and have used them for 6 tire changes and one flat since then. Fantastic much faster and easier to use than something like a C clamp or Tyre Pliers.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #8413
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
[QUOTE=ciedema;22184562]I have the Motion Pro bead breaker. It works like a charm to break the bead. I brought them in March and have used them for 6 tire changes and one flat since then. Fantastic much faster and easier to use than something like a C clamp or Tyre Pliers.

+1 on the Motion Pro Bead Breaker.

I have one of the old ones that looks like a plastic wedge with a handle so you can smack it with a hammer. When I ran into problems with the K60 they sent me the two piece metal ones and it is pure magic.

The Aussies and Kiwis that rode the Arctic Circle with me are on the TAT and stopped by here for bike service and tire changes. We changed tires on all three bikes with no issues. They were all running TKC 80's having taken the K60's off in Oregon before the got on TAT (they are running it backwards) so I don't know how much grief they had getting the K60s off. The TKC 80's are really pliable so they were a cinch to work with.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #8414
srad600
Studly Adventurer

I saw those Motion Pro breakers at last years Adventure rally, but have never tried them. I sounds like they are the hot ticket? I may have to give them a go.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #8415
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 142
Yesterday

I got a hand delivery of parts I ordered from Hawaii, from speedmonkey7. (great guy btw)
Stood around and jabberjawed for hours (hope I didnt kill his plans for the day)

Then I wheeled my 950 out in the heat (95*), geared up, realized I was out of gas, wheeled it back in and had some food.

I now have to fit the rear rack and take a quick one to a shop and weld up a rear cross bar, will that count as doing something if it is not at home?

(Although he did find a solution to something I had noticed but had not taken a detailed look at, a bolt for the footpeg mount was too long and had contacted the swingarm under compression [prev owner], I shimmed it out until rack goes on.)
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote