ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #8446
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Gorgeous machine, especially with the Akrapovics. Take the baffles out of the Akras pronto. It's just one screw, you can put them back in 30 seconds if you like. You'll find the sound is sweeter, but more importantly the motor will run soooo much smoother. It seems to improve the jerky jerky
That won't help you keep up to your buddies 950 though

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #8447
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
I did this to my screen

Combined with the twin screen and top edge..... it's way better than stock.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #8448
stuj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
I did this to my screen

Combined with the twin screen and top edge..... it's way better than stock.
Can I try it Mr?
stuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #8449
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
now that i have a knobbie on the front and new bar risers i thought it was time to introduce the bike to some single track. did awesome. rode a loop out of my house, threw in the single, then headed out through the usual route.

every time i get this bike in the dirt i just have the biggest smile. today was even better with the recent mods.

(not the single, but part of my usual route)

all was great until the last 100ft of the day. i was literally just about done when i came around a turn and saw a bunch of teenagers out with their 22's shooting in the dez. i was forces wide and hit a rain rut that did not look that deep. i whacked my nose soooooo hard on the wind screen i thought i went stupid for a bit. i quickly stopped and removed my helmet to feel blood pouring out of my nose and to hear the damn kids laughing their ass off. would have loved to whoop them, but they did have guns, all i had was my bike and a broken nose.

so, to those of you out there riding in true fashion. don't relax, you never know when old murphy is gonna bight you in the arse.

nose is still bleeding, hurts like hell. even the stiff mix of sailor jerry's rum and soda isnt helping.

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #8450
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuj View Post
Can I try it Mr?
Yeah, no worries. Call round tomorrow :)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #8451
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
Needs more rum!

What style of helmet were you using?

fwiw if it makes you feel any better , at least your story's better than mine. I suspect I just broke my little toe earlier today, when it caught on the door frame as my flip-flop clad carcass wheeled the beast into the workshop for a spot of maintenance

Douf
i was wearing my off-road helmet. it is a KBC, open face that i have had for awhile. very similar to this one..

i think the goggles with nose guard (scott's) may have saved my bacon. i have two small slits on either side of my nose and major swelling all around. looks better today but still not pretty.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #8452
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
i was wearing my off-road helmet. it is a KBC, open face that i have had for awhile. very similar to this one..

i think the goggles with nose guard (scott's) may have saved my bacon. i have two small slits on either side of my nose and major swelling all around. looks better today but still not pretty.

laramie
Aw come-on,, wuz you really that pretty to start with?? Bwahahahah

Sorry I'm still healing from an early spring ride.. So Its funny..

Dave
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #8453
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Did this:
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Then I did this:
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I think its earned it
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #8454
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:

laramie
I can't count all the times that funny looking nose piece on my Oakley's has saved me from rocks, tree limbs, and various other flying objects as I try to chase down Padre. If you've two cuts on the sides then that's where the nose guard collapsed and that cut you. Otherwise I'd say you'd look like something off of a horror show since you center punched the windscreen.

I looked at the RC8 as I walked through the garage. My school has moved to Uptown and not too keen to take a nice shiny sportbike and leave it in a parking garage for several hours a day.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #8455
GreatWhiteHunter
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 341
I rode it...

...and got it dirty!

* 2010 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 X-RS
GreatWhiteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #8456
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
now that i have a knobbie...

nose is still bleeding, hurts like hell. even the stiff mix of sailor jerry's rum and soda isnt helping.

laters,

laramie
I know the feeling... 2 weeks ago I got home from a month away, hopped on the 990 and went for a rip with a buddy of mine. Never even made it the 3 blocks to dirt roads and had a MEAN high side off a median, :( I got airborne, bike tried to pull my left arm out of socket, came back to earth and landed on the bike knee first into my footpeg and then hip first onto the rear footpeg. Popped up like a jack-in-the-box after belly surfing the bike facing backwards in the oncoming lane for about 50 yards... Thank god no traffic and thankfully a low speed (sub 50kph) wreck. Assessed the damage and it wasn't too bad, checked myself over and was sore, but not bad. Got on the bike and went for a 45 min backroad ride... Got home and had a boot full of blood, lol!

Mysterious holes in my knee which I had to pick shreds of my double duck pants out of...

From these:

Went to the ER the next day for X-rays and found a broken kneecap, but no other damage. No tendons torn, nothing twisted and no other fractures so I was sent on my limping way with orders to rest and some antibiotics. It could have been infinitely worse and the bike is perfectly fine really. Some road rash, but nothing serious. Tough girl this one...

Note to self... Never, EVER leave the house without your dadgum riding pants or MX knee pads EVER again. Was the only bit of kit I wasn't wearing and the one unprotected spot is the one with damage. This (knock on wood) is my first pavement incident in over 20 years of riding. Was ALL my fault and my doing. Kids, don't do stupid things on big bikes that bite back, lol!

Less than 2 weeks later I have been out 3 times riding (once on the 990 and twice on my 450). Knee is strong, but tender... And it won't be stopping me from going to Baja this winter!

This past Saturdays first ride on the wounded knee, ;)

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #8457
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Well, I didn't crash my 950 today...

...as a matter of fact, I am yet to have any kind of accident on this bike; but then again, I've only had it for about 6 weeks, and I've done very little off-roading. In any case, since I'm using it as my daily driver in Bogotá, its still a pretty nice achievement to be able to say that I haven't had any accidents yet.

So, today I washed it (paid someone to do it for me, as its illegal to wash your vehicle by yourself here, something to do with the en-viron-met, whatever that is).

Then I stopped by Touratech, who finally had received my GPS mount!!

salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #8458
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Well, I didn't crash my 950 today...

...as a matter of fact, I am yet to have any kind of accident on this bike; but then again, I've only had it for about 6 weeks, and I've done very little off-roading. In any case, since I'm using it as my daily driver in Bogotá, its still a pretty nice achievement to be able to say that I haven't had any accidents yet.

So, today I washed it (paid someone to do it for me, as its illegal to wash your vehicle by yourself here, something to do with the en-viron-met, whatever that is).

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/1742/k7h7.jpg

Then I stopped by Touratech, who finally had received my GPS mount!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/9691/avd0.jpg
Say what?!!

So if i buy a brand new bike, i have to let someone else wash it??!! Like have a stranger touch my brand new motorcycle??!
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #8459
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Say what?!!

So if i buy a brand new bike, i have to let someone else wash it??!! Like have a stranger touch my brand new motorcycle??!
Yup. Its illegal to wash your bike, car, truck, etc. on your driveway, garage, curb, whatever. Only certified carwash companies are allowed to wash vehicles. You could always go to one of those and pay them to wash it yourself.

Still, many people wash their own vehicles as long as its hidden from the public eye... but I live in an apartment building where it is strictly prohibited to wash or do any type of mechanical maintenance to your vehicle...
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #8460
JParanee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Put a Kubalink in

MT 90's

FMF Can

JParanee is offline   Reply With Quote