ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #8476
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,257
Finished prepping for the Colorado Rally...

The Good News...

Just finished a long list of prep to ride to the Colorado Rally and COBDR.



Highlights include the SuperPlush full front and rear revalve. New front DID SE Wheel. New Pirelli Rally shoes... 16T frt. 44T rear sprockets... New frt. brakes, flushed and replaced brake fluid, New updated front brakeline ( no more crossover line), new high fender kit, lowered aux. lights to work with high fender, New EarthX ultra light battery, Dash mount for Garmin Zumo 660, Saeco wind deflector, Engine oil and filter change.

The Bad News...

87 Year old father in law went into ER due to a fall and has been in and out of hosptal with numbness in left leg and dizziness.

Bottom line is I can't skip town now. My wife's pretty broken up and we need to get her father in a better place.

So my bike's all dressed up with no party to go to...
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #8477
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
The Good News...

Just finished a long list of prep to ride to the Colorado Rally and COBDR.



Highlights include the SuperPlush full front and rear revalve. New front DID SE Wheel. New Pirelli Rally shoes... 16T frt. 44T rear sprockets... New frt. brakes, flushed and replaced brake fluid, New updated front brakeline ( no more crossover line), new high fender kit, lowered aux. lights to work with high fender, New EarthX ultra light battery, Dash mount for Garmin Zumo 660, Saeco wind deflector, Engine oil and filter change.

The Bad News...

87 Year old father in law went into ER due to a fall and has been in and out of hosptal with numbness in left leg and dizziness.

Bottom line is I can't skip town now. My wife's pretty broken up and we need to get her father in a better place.

So my bike's all dressed up with no party to go to...
Sorry about your father-in-law. Beautiful looking bike though! Well done.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #8478
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Back in sunny So. Cal!
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4 View Post
Sorry about your father-in-law. Beautiful looking bike though! Well done.
How do you like the 16/44 gearing? I have been thinking about doing that to my 990 for some time now. Good luck with the situation.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #8479
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer
 
salvadorfrieri's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Highlights include the SuperPlush full front and rear revalve. New front DID SE Wheel. New Pirelli Rally shoes... 16T frt. 44T rear sprockets... New frt. brakes, flushed and replaced brake fluid, New updated front brakeline ( no more crossover line), new high fender kit, lowered aux. lights to work with high fender, New EarthX ultra light battery, Dash mount for Garmin Zumo 660, Saeco wind deflector, Engine oil and filter change.
Man, that has to be one of the best farkled 950s on this forum; a great balance between function and style! The only thing I'm not too fond of is the high fender... But I guess it's absolutely necessary for mud.

Good luck with your father in law.
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #8480
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,257
16/44... It's kind or a tweener

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
How do you like the 16/44 gearing? I have been thinking about doing that to my 990 for some time now. Good luck with the situation.
I bought the 44T rear because the Sunsprox 45 was on backorder. I like the 17/ 44 for all around with minimal top end loss for super slabbing. I think if you're gonna go low, you might as well go 16/45 to maximize the low end grunt, which is most helpful for technical stuff.

I personally like the lower gearing for helping on decel on steep decents where the weight of the Adventure wants to force you off a rutted curve.
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #8481
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Back in sunny So. Cal!
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I bought the 44T rear because the Sunsprox 45 was on backorder. I like the 17/ 44 for all around with minimal top end loss for super slabbing. I think if you're gonna go low, you might as well go 16/45 to maximize the low end grunt, which is most helpful for technical stuff.

I personally like the lower gearing for helping on decel on steep decents where the weight of the Adventure wants to force you off a rutted curve.

Thanks. Where did you buy it?
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #8482
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,257
The long tale of a simple low fender install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Man, that has to be one of the best farkled 950s on this forum; a great balance between function and style! The only thing I'm not too fond of is the high fender... But I guess it's absolutely necessary for mud.

Good luck with your father in law.
I hear you on this... I love the 950 Rally style low fender. I like that it gives the bike a subdued understated look. The main reason I added the high fender was due to the thick consistency of the mud in the Colorado Back Country Discovery when the rain comes. And most importantly to loose that questionable front crossover brakeline.

The highfender update was not an easy install for me however. I ordered all the parts from the KTM parts fiche through a distributor. And even after several re-orders, different unmatched bolts arrived and some stuff never even showed... like the brakeline copper "washers" ( I reused the originals which is not necessarily recommended). Then I had to make brackets to lower the aux. lights to clear the high fender at full turn. I had to tap out threads into the brake caliper bracket to hold the brake line wire bracket. Then I had to make brackets for the bottom of the fork protectors. And threading the double banjo bolt with brakelines to the master cylinder requires far more dexterity then should be humanly possible ( 40 minutes of patience bordering on mental explosion).

It turned out looking totally OEM and I'm very happy with it... but I could never earn a living as a bike mechanic or fabricator. After the addition of adding new front brakes including the required brake fluid flush and bleeding the air out of the brake lines... I think I had nearly two days into it.

I guess it was worth it. That would have been about $1800 of shop time at the local shop.

But I'll probably revert back to the low fender for my local desert riding...
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #8483
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
Thanks. Where did you buy it?
I bought the 44T rear from Superspox directly, although they don't normally deal with the public. Their warehouse is somewhat local. But others carry them like CJDesigns!!!

I bought the dampened KTM 16T front sprocket. Maybe it's subliminal, but I like the drivetrain's smoothness on long highspeed rides and don't want to alter that.
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #8484
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer
 
Schmittenhymer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kagawong, Ontario
Oddometer: 645
"dampened KTM 16T front sprocket"

?
__________________
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
2006 KTM 525EXC
2007 Suzuki SV650S (wife's)
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8485
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer
 
Katoom72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmittenhymer View Post
"dampened KTM 16T front sprocket"

?
Rubber disk on the sprocket (in the middle)

Edit: pic:
__________________
Now:
'03 KTM 250sx -- '05 KTM Adventure 950
Before:
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #8486
Beema Killa
Beema Killa
 
Beema Killa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary Canada
Oddometer: 721
What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

I finally gave her a scrub after her long trip East.

Beema Killa screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 04:48 PM
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #8487
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
I finally gave her a scrub after her long trip East.

hahahahahha!!! love that it's BMW insignia's that you have the crosses on!!

sure the beemer boy's don't think it's quite as funny but what can they say.... ????

laters,

laramie
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8488
Beema Killa
Beema Killa
 
Beema Killa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary Canada
Oddometer: 721
15K service done. 3 intake shims needed. Exhaust was in spec. Need brake pads, new sprockets and chain too. Ready for more mileage! 3 out of 8 ain't too bad for valves I suppose.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #8489
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style
 
Patacca's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Rubber disk on the sprocket (in the middle)

Edit: pic:
And this is useful for....??? what?
__________________
If you aren't sure, open to MAX!!!

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #8490
JK1
Adventurer
 
JK1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Oddometer: 97
I'm running a front sprocket like that on mine, helps makes it quieter but then again I can't hear much with my leo's making all the noise.
__________________
Current KTM 950 Adventure S 03

Old Suzuki TS50, Aprilia Chesterfield RS125 , Honda NC30, Cagiva Elefant 750
JK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014