Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #8521
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Here's the finished setup...
Looks good from the side but not so good from the front-where it counts.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #8522
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Replaced my stock rear rotor with a new stock rear rotor.
42000 miles out on the first one!

Old rotor was deeply grooved and I had to push the brake pedal a great distance to get the bike to stop.

2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #8523
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
Remove grooved waterpump shaft and replace

Now I'm ready to ride.

How many miles did you get out of the water pump saft?

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #8524
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
How many miles did you get out of the water pump saft?
Around 10k miles. My 2010 990r has 30k miles total and I replaced this last year. From what I read I think that's typical for a water pump, but a bit less than the original.
I'm also thinking that I ran my bike hard and hot a lot more these last 10k miles so maybe it wears more than usual. I'm thinking the extra pressure in the hotter coolant presses on the seal which causes the lip to tighten up around the shaft. ( I'm just guessing )

rburkat screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 08:56 PM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #8525
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
Around 10k miles. My 2010 990r has 30k miles total and I replaced this last year. From what I read I think that's typical for a water pump, but a bit less than the original.
I'm also thinking that I ran my bike hard and hot a lot more these last 10k miles so maybe it wears more than usual. I'm thinking the extra pressure in the hotter coolant presses on the seal which causes the lip to tighten up around the shaft. ( I'm just guessing )
From what i have read the CJDesigns shaft was suppose to get better life than the equivalent stock KTM shaft. 10k miles is not a lot.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #8526
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
took the 1190 to an offroad dirt festival

OK, I can say with certainty is that the 1190 crashes really well....

Prepping for the trip - the Mitas E-09 being fitted by Just Bike tyre:

All loaded:

As we know by now the 1190 handles incredibly on the tar and the trip down there was a breeze, even with the short screen. The wear on the Mitas E-10 and E-09 was also quite good. (I did take some care in accelerating and braking gently) The rear E-09 is a little square and this impacts cornering at high speed on tar just a little. I had the front E-10 just a tad to soft and at a point when I had to brake hard, from about 180km/h, it snaked a little, but after inflating it to about 2.7 bars it was much better.

Sunset and sun downers at Sierra Ranch - the guys had quite a couple on Thursday night:

My regular riding mate CharlesS had some excuse about work and money being important so he only came down on Friday so I headed out with Dave (pillioning his wife Jude) from RAD.

[imghttp://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a597/Toors1/20130906_091515_zps48758750.jpg]http://[/img]

Nice tree pic:

We soon hit the Red route:
Everything went well - (I did not enjoy the rocks though and had some deflections from bigger stationary ones) even at a 100hp you had to be super smooth on the throttle especially with plenty of "marbles" on hard pack and up hills - until we got to this spot:

This was quite a steep down hill (as always the photo gives it no justice) and just past where I took the pick there was a little donga in the middle of the road with off camber tracks on both sides - I run out of talent, going way to slow, and dropped the 1190 upside down on its head into the donga.

The aftermath: 1 broken GPS bracket, 1 broken folding mirror and on broken front brake fluid reservoir (the break reservoir broke straight out of the mount leaving a big hole inside of it spilling 90% of my brake fluid - we manage to save enough brake fluid (with some duck tape) for me to do the rest of the ride. This was a little freak drop so the damage is unusual, but if the 1190 had a 990 type aluminium bracket this damage would not have occurred. I blame it on a lack of skill though....

From there we headed out on predominantly the yellow route (by no means easy) and here the 1190 shined. It was phenomenal on the single track. It is extremely smooth, extremely well balanced and I had a fantastic time and just so much fun...

SGB fixing some punctures on the road:

I picked up a straggler (so Dave went ahead) who lost his mates and did not have a GPS so we got to the lunch spot a little late:

Running a little late I decided to take the Green route home consisting of fast flowing district roads with hard pack and pebbles on top. I should have stick to the yellow route. Going way to fast I hit a small hill on the road which was followed by a sharp turn in the road, off camber (off course) with a small bridge and the reason why bridges are there a river. It became instantly apparent that I was not going to make the turn, so I instinctively put the bike down to slide and as I put it down I just caught my foot and this hyper flexed my knee to the side..... it was eina. I went down hard... OK here the thanks start thanks to Ricky for picking me up (and all the guys stopping to enquire) and as there was no cellphone reception calling the medics on his way back.

The crash spot:

My company whilst I was waiting:

Bertus (thanks a million to him and Graham the ambulance driver) the first medic on site:

My ride home:

As there was no more place on the trailer to trailer my bike home, Andrew who broken his Super Tenere but was still in one piece rode my bike back to Sierra Ranch (thanks to him as well) As I arrived back I though sh!t this is going to cost me some rounds at the bar, just to be surprised by Bertus sticking a beer in my hands: from Andrew he said, whom really enjoyed his test drive on the 1190... I think he just felt guilty because he was telling the ambulance personal all day that he hopes he gets to ride a 1190... Thanks mate - all your fault....

Back to my original point - the 1190 crashes really well - from this crash the aftermath was only cosmetic damage to the crash bars and plastics and nothing serious...

So Saturday I was drive to the lunch spot by Jude and Margi and just had a rustige day out there:

I have to say the ACDSF is well organised, I thought that the routes where well planned and huge fun and was a full and hard days riding.

Final thanks must go to Dave who trailered my bike back to JHB - straight to RAD for repairs of course and to Mark Roach from KTM SA who drove me back and dropped me off at my front door - Thanks a million guys - will definitely see you out there next year again - on the 1190...

I think for tech riding the gearing is to long and the 16 from sprocket that I put on was the correct decision, but a 45 rear might be better. The suspension was sublime maybe a little to hard for the big rocks (will chat to Hilton - I am sure we will be able to sort this out with one or two small mods) I had no smileys but am still concerned about this, so would most likely still go for the tubed tyres shortly as this will allow me to run lower pressures (I ran about 2.3 in the front and 2 in the rear)

....and guys the 1190 is a more capable off-road adventure bike than you might think.

the aftermath tore my mcl and pcl - in a brace for 6 weeks and a couple months worth of rehab
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #8527
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,777
Now that's a hard post to follow...

It's not riding an 1190 in South Africa, but I finally figured out how I wanted to mount my GPS to my RC8.

I did have to make a spacer for it though.

Now I can go explore Charlotte and when I get lost, just punch the "Home" button.

That's all. Back to more exciting people...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska

Katoom119 screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 08:55 AM
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #8528
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,960
gave her a nice wash... cleaned her up...

and then put her up for sale on the local classifieds
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #8529
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
VICKS
I Like your tag line....origin?

"No myriad hues of laser lights no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
Give me a dark.. long.. winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire
"
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #8530
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
From what i have read the CJDesigns shaft was suppose to get better life than the equivalent stock KTM shaft. 10k miles is not a lot.
Our CJ shaft failed at 700 miles, hardening spalled off, we expected better too.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 02:42 PM
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #8531
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
The current stock shaft seems okay. I got 40k+ km from mine and the bike is now at 70000ks on the second one.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #8532
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
The current stock shaft seems okay. I got 40k+ km from mine and the bike is now at 70000ks on the second one.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
Similar experience here, 18k miles from original (2006) to fail, 30k miles from the updated part until I replaced it (somewhat worn, but no leaks and no sign of imminent failure), I'm going to stick with 30k intervals.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #8533
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I installed a Pro Taper Carmichael.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #8534
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Just washed the 990A and rode it this afternoon. Some asphalt, some gravel, some dirt and beautiful cool temps and blue skies. Overall a beautiful end to a great weekend.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8535
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
VICKS
I Like your tag line....origin?

"No myriad hues of laser lights no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
Give me a dark.. long.. winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire
"
I read it only once ever on local Royal Enfield forum back in India and it was burned into my memory. Never seen that quote anywhere else again. Author unknown (to me atleast).
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote