ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #8536
Martynho
No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer: 407
High altitude Andean ice ride. Chile - Argentina border

Returned from a 18 day ride over to Argentina and Uruguay. A 2 day snowstorm had me holed up in Uspallata, Argentina waiting for the weather to clear. They opened the access road up to the Libertadores pass this morning and it was like wacky races on the 80 kms up to the border at the top of the pass. I managed to get by all but 8 of the 300 or so cars in front of me, many of whom had slept overnight queuing up.

This is what it looked like 18 days ago when I went over from Chile

Today it was rather different - about -10C at the top of Libertadores pass at 10,500 ft, with a lot of snow and ice still on the road

After 2 days waiting to get across I was just happy to be there and on my way home after 18 days. BTW, I get paid to do this. I was a business trip selling my wares, my sponsors name who picked up the tab on the side of the tank (No not Adventure Spec, they just give me a discount and free stickers, thanks Dave and Chris )

The famous "Caracoles" down from the border into Chile, with ice on the road I tippy toed down

Glad to be home safe and sound!

Martynho screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 08:02 PM
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #8537
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Changed my clutch fluid, man that was some horrible looking stuff. Slightly messy job, but I can see the bottom of the res. through the fluid again.

Oh, and finally got my tune ECU cable working, checked trouble codes, and buttoned her back up.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #8538
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca View Post
And this is useful for....??? what?
+1 Chain noise. To hear the difference just kill the engine, put it in natural going down hill. It does make a difference. Down side is if u ride in mud it pushes dirt to your chain a bit.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #8539
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
+1 Chain noise. To hear the difference just kill the engine, put it in natural going down hill. It does make a difference. Down side is if u ride in mud it pushes dirt to your chain a bit.
Thanx everybody i was thinking something like that....

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #8540
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 399
weird one

Wish I could say I rode it over the Alps today, but no. Instead, I chased down a minor oil leak that is coming from a strange place. Anyone ever had the gear-position sensor leak? I am pretty sure that is where it is coming from.

photo 28b37154-4303-446a-bfd3-f7c475256453.jpg

photo null_zps0299af02.jpg

It isn't coming from the O-ring that seals it. It is coming from the middle of the unit itself. The oil sort of squeeges out from the plastic disk in the center when I push on it. Anyone ever seen this happen? Seems strange. The bike is a 2009 990 Adventure with 20,000 miles on it.

RTV it like a KLR dude or just replace it like a BMW dude?

Lance

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #8541
BMacW650

Oddometer: 744
Installed Rottweiler Snap Out and Dog House. Super easy to do, as always, the biggest problem is to put the damn safari tank back on...

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #8542
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Wish I could say I rode it over the Alps today, but no. Instead, I chased down a minor oil leak that is coming from a strange place. Anyone ever had the gear-position sensor leak? I am pretty sure that is where it is coming from.

photo 28b37154-4303-446a-bfd3-f7c475256453.jpg

photo null_zps0299af02.jpg

It isn't coming from the O-ring that seals it. It is coming from the middle of the unit itself. The oil sort of squeeges out from the plastic disk in the center when I push on it. Anyone ever seen this happen? Seems strange. The bike is a 2009 990 Adventure with 20,000 miles on it.

Lance
My sensor is currently leaking around the O-ring. My bike is a 2005 with 40,000 miles. I'm going to replace the O-ring.

This year, the fuel level sensor in the tank started leaking through the sensor as you describe. The fuel sensor has the same design on the outside. I looked it up, and others on the board had experienced the same thing. The solution for the fuel leak was replacing the sensor.

If I were you, I would remove the sensor -- you just pull the two allen head bolts -- and put some sealant around the O-ring. Then you can bolt it back up and see what happens. If it is the sensor, you are going to have to replace the sensor to stop the leak. Based on the design on the inside, I think it would be hard for oil to leak through the sensor. Anything is possible, but it really is just a flat surface on the inside with a couple of brass sensor points.

The good thing is that this is not a part under pressure. When it leaks, it just drips. Not really dangerous -- just annoying.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #8543
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 443
what did i do?

I picked-up my new 1190 from the dealer!

will post photos when bike is dirty!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #8544
Grayjet
Ride on!

Oddometer: 399
Thanks, Orangecicle. I will pull it out and see what I can find. Turns out it's only a $30 part, so it won't break the bank if it is the sensor.

Cheers,
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
My sensor is currently leaking around the O-ring. My bike is a 2005 with 40,000 miles. I'm going to replace the O-ring.

This year, the fuel level sensor in the tank started leaking through the sensor as you describe. The fuel sensor has the same design on the outside. I looked it up, and others on the board had experienced the same thing. The solution for the fuel leak was replacing the sensor.

If I were you, I would remove the sensor -- you just pull the two allen head bolts -- and put some sealant around the O-ring. Then you can bolt it back up and see what happens. If it is the sensor, you are going to have to replace the sensor to stop the leak. Based on the design on the inside, I think it would be hard for oil to leak through the sensor. Anything is possible, but it really is just a flat surface on the inside with a couple of brass sensor points.

The good thing is that this is not a part under pressure. When it leaks, it just drips. Not really dangerous -- just annoying.

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #8545
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Rottweiler Snap Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Installed Rottweiler Snap Out and Dog House. Super easy to do, as always, the biggest problem is to put the damn safari tank back on...
That Snap Out is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I bought one at the KTM Rally in Steamboat Springs. Have to wait to put in on though as I have a bunch of electronic stuff I have to move first.
Chris also let me try a Tool Box for fit since I have a MotoHooligan air box. It kinda fits but needs some minor mods.

-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #8546
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Put a new hotrod AntiGravity in it.

Fat old battery

Light new one

time for a beer,
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #8547
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Reflashed my 2010 990R today 102hp and 65ft pounds of torque.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #8548
toto#77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
What I've do in my KTM today......
A big hole

I need some sylicon and today I will put that one:

Non facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco.....
toto#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #8549
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post

Anyone ever seen this happen? Seems strange.

Lance
I've had that happen. A small crack in the plastic sensor. Good job find'n it. Its hard to see. I think I replaced my O ring twice before I saw the real problem.

Leave it or RTV it. Dont let it stop your ride, and replace it later.

Remember: Nothings more permanent than a temporary fix that works.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #8550
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 534
Added a new toy to the stable.

Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote