ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #8536
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Helipilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 190
Just washed the 990A and rode it this afternoon. Some asphalt, some gravel, some dirt and beautiful cool temps and blue skies. Overall a beautiful end to a great weekend.
__________________
2004 XR650L Heavily Farkled. 2010 KTM 990A Starting the Farkles.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8537
Vicks
I love sand !!!
 
Vicks's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Oddometer: 2,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
VICKS
I Like your tag line....origin?

"No myriad hues of laser lights no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark.. long.. winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire
"
I read it only once ever on local Royal Enfield forum back in India and it was burned into my memory. Never seen that quote anywhere else again. Author unknown (to me atleast).
__________________
'07 KTM Adv990S - Gone to a good home
'10 KTM 530Exc-Rally
No myriad hues of laser lights, no bottles that are oozing with nectars from heaven
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #8538
Martynho
ChileGringo
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Santiago de Chile
Oddometer: 391
High altitude Andean ice ride. Chile - Argentina border

Returned from a 18 day ride over to Argentina and Uruguay. A 2 day snowstorm had me holed up in Uspallata, Argentina waiting for the weather to clear. They opened the access road up to the Libertadores pass this morning and it was like wacky races on the 80 kms up to the border at the top of the pass. I managed to get by all but 8 of the 300 or so cars in front of me, many of whom had slept overnight queuing up.

This is what it looked like 18 days ago when I went over from Chile



Today it was rather different - about -10C at the top of Libertadores pass at 10,500 ft, with a lot of snow and ice still on the road



After 2 days waiting to get across I was just happy to be there and on my way home after 18 days. BTW, I get paid to do this. I was a business trip selling my wares, my sponsors name who picked up the tab on the side of the tank (No not Adventure Spec, they just give me a discount and free stickers, thanks Dave and Chris )



The famous "Caracoles" down from the border into Chile, with ice on the road I tippy toed down

Glad to be home safe and sound!


Martynho screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 07:02 PM
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #8539
srad600
Studly Adventurer
 
srad600's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Oakland, Kalli Fornia
Oddometer: 569
Changed my clutch fluid, man that was some horrible looking stuff. Slightly messy job, but I can see the bottom of the res. through the fluid again.

Oh, and finally got my tune ECU cable working, checked trouble codes, and buttoned her back up.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #8540
keener
Speed changes you.
 
keener's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patacca View Post
And this is useful for....??? what?
+1 Chain noise. To hear the difference just kill the engine, put it in natural going down hill. It does make a difference. Down side is if u ride in mud it pushes dirt to your chain a bit.
__________________
04 ADV 950
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #8541
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style
 
Patacca's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
+1 Chain noise. To hear the difference just kill the engine, put it in natural going down hill. It does make a difference. Down side is if u ride in mud it pushes dirt to your chain a bit.
Thanx everybody i was thinking something like that....
__________________
If you aren't sure, open to MAX!!!

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #8542
Grayjet
Ride on!
 
Grayjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 343
weird one

Wish I could say I rode it over the Alps today, but no. Instead, I chased down a minor oil leak that is coming from a strange place. Anyone ever had the gear-position sensor leak? I am pretty sure that is where it is coming from.

 photo 28b37154-4303-446a-bfd3-f7c475256453.jpg

 photo null_zps0299af02.jpg

It isn't coming from the O-ring that seals it. It is coming from the middle of the unit itself. The oil sort of squeeges out from the plastic disk in the center when I push on it. Anyone ever seen this happen? Seems strange. The bike is a 2009 990 Adventure with 20,000 miles on it.

RTV it like a KLR dude or just replace it like a BMW dude?

Lance
__________________
'93 Honda XR650L
'09 KTM 990 Adventure

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #8543
BMacW650
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 713
Installed Rottweiler Snap Out and Dog House. Super easy to do, as always, the biggest problem is to put the damn safari tank back on...



BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #8544
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayjet View Post
Wish I could say I rode it over the Alps today, but no. Instead, I chased down a minor oil leak that is coming from a strange place. Anyone ever had the gear-position sensor leak? I am pretty sure that is where it is coming from.

 photo 28b37154-4303-446a-bfd3-f7c475256453.jpg

 photo null_zps0299af02.jpg

It isn't coming from the O-ring that seals it. It is coming from the middle of the unit itself. The oil sort of squeeges out from the plastic disk in the center when I push on it. Anyone ever seen this happen? Seems strange. The bike is a 2009 990 Adventure with 20,000 miles on it.

RTV it like a KLR dude or just replace it like a BMW dude?

Lance
My sensor is currently leaking around the O-ring. My bike is a 2005 with 40,000 miles. I'm going to replace the O-ring.

This year, the fuel level sensor in the tank started leaking through the sensor as you describe. The fuel sensor has the same design on the outside. I looked it up, and others on the board had experienced the same thing. The solution for the fuel leak was replacing the sensor.

If I were you, I would remove the sensor -- you just pull the two allen head bolts -- and put some sealant around the O-ring. Then you can bolt it back up and see what happens. If it is the sensor, you are going to have to replace the sensor to stop the leak. Based on the design on the inside, I think it would be hard for oil to leak through the sensor. Anything is possible, but it really is just a flat surface on the inside with a couple of brass sensor points.

The good thing is that this is not a part under pressure. When it leaks, it just drips. Not really dangerous -- just annoying.
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #8545
Mowster
Stressed Member
 
Mowster's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Brisville
Oddometer: 378
what did i do?

I picked-up my new 1190 from the dealer!

will post photos when bike is dirty!
__________________
KTM 1190 - slaying multistrada's everywhere since 2013
Mowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #8546
Grayjet
Ride on!
 
Grayjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Va Beach
Oddometer: 343
Thanks, Orangecicle. I will pull it out and see what I can find. Turns out it's only a $30 part, so it won't break the bank if it is the sensor.

Cheers,
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
My sensor is currently leaking around the O-ring. My bike is a 2005 with 40,000 miles. I'm going to replace the O-ring.

This year, the fuel level sensor in the tank started leaking through the sensor as you describe. The fuel sensor has the same design on the outside. I looked it up, and others on the board had experienced the same thing. The solution for the fuel leak was replacing the sensor.

If I were you, I would remove the sensor -- you just pull the two allen head bolts -- and put some sealant around the O-ring. Then you can bolt it back up and see what happens. If it is the sensor, you are going to have to replace the sensor to stop the leak. Based on the design on the inside, I think it would be hard for oil to leak through the sensor. Anything is possible, but it really is just a flat surface on the inside with a couple of brass sensor points.

The good thing is that this is not a part under pressure. When it leaks, it just drips. Not really dangerous -- just annoying.
__________________
'93 Honda XR650L
'09 KTM 990 Adventure

Putting miles on the tires!
Grayjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #8547
Shov3BR
Tinkerer
 
Shov3BR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Oddometer: 263
Rottweiler Snap Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Installed Rottweiler Snap Out and Dog House. Super easy to do, as always, the biggest problem is to put the damn safari tank back on...
That Snap Out is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I bought one at the KTM Rally in Steamboat Springs. Have to wait to put in on though as I have a bunch of electronic stuff I have to move first.
Chris also let me try a Tool Box for fit since I have a MotoHooligan air box. It kinda fits but needs some minor mods.

-Shov
__________________
WWW.3BRPOWERSPORTS.COM Putting the POWER in powersports

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #8548
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 5,882
Put a new hotrod AntiGravity in it.



Fat old battery


Light new one


time for a beer,
__________________
...Dick
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #8549
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer
 
Newbusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Port Alberni
Oddometer: 539
Reflashed my 2010 990R today 102hp and 65ft pounds of torque.
__________________
2010 990R Adventurer.
2006 TuonoR
Newbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #8550
toto#77
Adventurer
 
toto#77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Italy, Santerno Motor Valley
Oddometer: 73
What I've do in my KTM today......
A big hole



I need some sylicon and today I will put that one:



Non facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco.....
toto#77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014