ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #8566
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,427
Not sure deeper is helpful. I have the hontri tapered version for extra tire clearance and still get tire marks on it....

Sa
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #8567
toto#77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
If you see is deepee because in the upper side there is a piace more, it's touch the bottom of the seat...sorry I can't expkain right in english

Non č facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco.....
toto#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #8568
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,828
The hontri will carry about the same. My stuff goes up to the seat bottom.
Yours does look very nice. It wasn't around 3 years ago. :)

Sent from outside my mind.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #8569
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,553
put on one of these...anyone know where to get custom shrouds made? i kind of like the all black look.

loph917 screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 10:53 AM
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #8570
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,677
So after some great riding Friday and Saturday, I figured I'd knock out some maintenance on the KTM

Oil change took about 20 minutes thank to the drain hose installed on the oil tank.
Don't have to pull the left side tank anymore to swap the oil and main filter. Occasionally, I'll have to pull the hose fitting to check the screen located at the tank.

Pulled the air filter and cleaned it up, replaced the prefilter and installed a filterskin over that.

Then I pulled the tank anyhow to change out the fuel filters. The last time I changed these out was just shy of a year ago.
Looks like they needed it.

Here are the T-bag filters for comparison

Close up of the old filter...actually had debris from the tank attached to it

Here are the secondary filters...
I got this new filter kit from an inmate in Greece for a fraction of the KTM price. The only difference to be seen was the height of the secondary filter. Everything fit well and seems to work fine.

Then the problems started...

First I get everything back together and the bike won't start. Troubleshoot a bit and the fuel pump doesn't seem to be working. Checked all the plugs and connections...no luck. Off with the tank again and pull the pump assembly. Found the problem there easy enough, one of the pump's electrical connections came loose inside the housing. Fixed and back together again. Working fine, started right up

But that's not all...
Apparently the fuel pump housing wanted more attention since it was weeping gas...

Off with the tank again, out with the pump assembly....again...checked the gasket, looks good. Cleaned up the edge around the pump mating surface...put a bit of grease on the O-rings to help them slide into place...

Put it all back together again...

Looks like it's fixed...took it for a short little ride tonight. It's amazing what a difference the new fuel filters make. Power you never notice loosing is suddenly restored.
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #8571
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto#77 View Post
If you see is deepee because in the upper side there is a piace more, it's touch the bottom of the seat...sorry I can't expkain right in english

Non č facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco.....
That extra lip at the top could come in handy. I have the same tray dad2bike has. Very useful, I use a piece of foam between the tray and the seat pan to keep things from moving around.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #8572
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
So after some great riding Friday and Saturday, I figured I'd knock out some maintenance on the KTM

Oil change took about 20 minutes thank to the drain hose installed on the oil tank.
Don't have to pull the left side tank anymore to swap the oil and main filter. Occasionally, I'll have to pull the hose fitting to check the screen located at the tank.

PUBLIC SERVICE WARNING:

FWIW, during my last oil change I ended up REMOVING the hose on my bike. I kept noticing there was oil residue on the inside of my skidplate and I'd clean it off and it'd just come back again. During the last oil change I discovered the source. On the bottom end of the drain hose, one of the O-rings in the fitting (where you put the end cap into) had warn out. As I put the wrench on to hold it (so I could remove the end cap) the O-ring gave out and the fitting essentially came apart before I got the cap off! Had this had happened on the trail I would have never known about it... (well, maybe the oil light would come on to tell me something's up?)

Anyway, if your oil sump extension hose can come into contact with the skidplate I'd be careful to check for this and re-route the hose to keep it off the skidplate. While I had mine zip-tied to the bottom of the engine lines there was still enough length in the hose that the end fittings were wearing into the skidplate. Please be careful and check yours.

As an aside, now that I had already cut the notch in the top plate, I can now easily get a socket on an extension up and onto the oil sump and access plug without having to remove the tank. Sure oil will spill all over everything, but cleaning that up is still quicker than removing the Safari tank!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #8573
EOD3MC
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
PUBLIC SERVICE WARNING:

FWIW, during my last oil change I ended up REMOVING the hose on my bike. I kept noticing there was oil residue on the inside of my skidplate and I'd clean it off and it'd just come back again. During the last oil change I discovered the source. On the bottom end of the drain hose, one of the O-rings in the fitting (where you put the end cap into) had warn out. As I put the wrench on to hold it (so I could remove the end cap) the O-ring gave out and the fitting essentially came apart before I got the cap off! Had this had happened on the trail I would have never known about it... (well, maybe the oil light would come on to tell me something's up?)

Anyway, if your oil sump extension hose can come into contact with the skidplate I'd be careful to check for this and re-route the hose to keep it off the skidplate. While I had mine zip-tied to the bottom of the engine lines there was still enough length in the hose that the end fittings were wearing into the skidplate. Please be careful and check yours.

As an aside, now that I had already cut the notch in the top plate, I can now easily get a socket on an extension up and onto the oil sump and access plug without having to remove the tank. Sure oil will spill all over everything, but cleaning that up is still quicker than removing the Safari tank!
I noticed the contact when I first installed it. One heavy duty zip tie keeps it in place nicely.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be changing the o-ring out each oil change...cheap insurance
Old 10-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #8574
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
put on one of these...anyone know where to get custom shrouds made? i kind of like the all black look.
Just have the stock panels warped in black. Any sign shop should be able to do it.
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #8575
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Kenda Big Block

Well, I got these delivered to the front door for 200 bucks. They are the Kenda Big Block in 150/70-18 and 90/90-21.

The reason I chose them:
1. Good in the dirt (reportedly)
2. OK on the road (reportedly)
3. Very strong/stiff carcass
4. I wanted to try a 150 rear to match the 4.25 rim
5. I’m light on tires and so is the FL sand (we have to import our rocks).
6. Cheap: front was $71.99 and rear is $124.99

I am slightly disappointed in that I received the previous model (manufactured in 2011). I especially waited until now because I heard the new model lasts longer than the previous one. Anyway, I’ll fit them and report back on the performance and mileage. That is if I can get these D908RRs used up. 5600 miles and still useable…

Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #8576
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
I noticed the contact when I first installed it. One heavy duty zip tie keeps it in place nicely.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be changing the o-ring out each oil change...cheap insurance
I'm not clear on which O-ring failed, exactly, and what that ahs to do with skidplate contact? Pics?

SA
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #8577
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I'm not clear on which O-ring failed, exactly, and what that ahs to do with skidplate contact? Pics?

SA
The O-ring appears on the fittings at each end of the hose. Basically (if you built the hose extension yourself from the parts from Summit Racing), at each end of the SS-braded hose there is a fitting that allows you to fit the hose to the fitting mounting into the bottom of the oil tank or into the plug-end (stopper) for the downward end of the hose. On my setup, this fitting was zip-tied to the frame but the end (with the fitting) still rested on the skidplate. Over time, that hose must have rattled or vibrated enough to cause the O-ring inside it to fail. When it came time to change the oil, I secured the fitting with one wrench and tried to remove the stopper with the other. As I did that, the oil (in the hose) started to free-flow out of the fitting long before I had the stopper removed. Thus, the part failed. If that were to happen on the trail you would have never known it was occurring.

Thus, my recommendation was to carefully check those fittings to make sure they are holding. If you find you have traces of oil build-up on the inside of your skidplate, you may want to check this. I opted to just remove the hose and go back to the original OEM bolt.

For all I know, mine was the anomaly. In the event it wasn't, I pass this along as nothing more than a heads-up.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #8578
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Thanks!

Sa
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #8579
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 492
question:

Looks like the Kenda is much smaller diameter than the D908. Wouldn't that make the Kenda setup a lot lower gear ratio?
knobbyjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #8580
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
question:

Looks like the Kenda is much smaller diameter than the D908. Wouldn't that make the Kenda setup a lot lower gear ratio?
The mounted tire looks like its on the center stand.