ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #8791
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 395
Thumb

A sincere welcome! I had the same sort of responses when I got my SE and was excited to modify it. Some people thought I was lying. That I didn't have the bike or any bikes! Just ignore the crapola and ride on!! Congrats!!
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
'15 KTM 1290 SA ordered.
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #8792
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,379
Chill.
I'm new to the orange side myself, but certainly not new to riding or adv.
Good idea is to have a fairly thick skin. And don't take life too seriously.
Nobody gets out alive anyway so might as well have a good time while it lasts.
I bought a new to me 2010 990 R. 2,200 miles. Fedex and UPS got to know me pretty good real quick.
I knew what I wanted to do and did it. I'd done 195,000+ miles on an 1150 Adventure prior.
I'm about ready to spoon on my first change of tires on this thing and am closing on 6,000 miles.
I'm neither young or retired. I am old enough to not give a shit what anybody thinks.
I ride more that a good number but not as much as a few. I do have a job. For now.
The 990R's in black are pretty damned cool. The white fender and bits on the fairing get the numbnuts on the freeway thinking I'm the Gatzo.
When they figure it out, they get pissed. Good times.
My advice?
Wheelie, jump and slide. Every day. Whether you need to or not.
Good for the soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKernel View Post
Thanks. I thought I came to the OC with a sufficient amount of enthusiasm tempered with admitted KTM noobness. Didn't think I needed to recite my decades long resume of wrenching and riding all things 2, 3, 4, and 10 wheeled, not to mention tracked and treaded. Also didn't see any rules about throwing numbers in front of random lists.

I was expecting the usual congratulations on joining and getting a KTM Adv. Sure hope KTM Adventure riders are more helpful and friendly when I find them on a bike.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #8793
BMacW650

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Thanks. I thought I came to the OC with a sufficient amount of enthusiasm tempered with admitted KTM noobness. Didn't think I needed to recite my decades long resume of wrenching and riding all things 2, 3, 4, and 10 wheeled, not to mention tracked and treaded. Also didn't see any rules about throwing numbers in front of random lists.

I was expecting the usual congratulations on joining and getting a KTM Adv. Sure hope KTM Adventure riders are more helpful and friendly when I find them on a bike.
Have a look at your 4th post here (the original message).

Like everybody else said, don't take anything personally and have a thick skin really helps. I point out the numbering, because that's one reason KaytM might have misunderstood your post.

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #8794
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos
I don't think trolls are welcome in this thread... Let's keep it positive, ;)

Quote:
internet troll
Web definitions
  1. In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

No trolling here mate, I didnt insult or project any negativity towards the poster, neither was my intention to start arguments or upset people.
My post was neither inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic, all I said was I found it interesting he put taking riding courses last after every conceivable modification known to man.
I could argue, but don't want to, his reply while clarifying was written in no particular order (although he'd taken the time to number them) was both inflammatory and argumentative towards me.
I personally have to ride a bike to find out what I 'need' to do to it, I don't need to be told by strangers over the web.
Furthermore, if I may critique without being accused of trolling may I say I find all these 'I've just go a 9x0 what farkles must I have?' nave at best, especially as no one ever seems to answer the obvious question 'what type of riding do you do?'.
For example, after 80k km or 50k miles I've just fitted a GiT86 bash plate and side stand reloctor, only now because I'm planning a trip next year involving a lot of off road, 50k miles without incident, so if a noob asked me do I need a sturdier bash plate I would answer how much off roading are you doing, if he said none I'd say save your time and money. Dual fans etc etc etc.
I stand by my original post, it was written without malice, I don't have to agree with every post here in order to be a positive productive member of the community.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #8795
BMacW650

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos
I don't think trolls are welcome in this thread... Let's keep it positive, ;)

Quote:
internet troll
Web definitions
  1. In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

No trolling here mate, I didnt insult or project any negativity towards the poster, neither was my intention to start arguments or upset people.
My post was neither inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic, all I said was I found it interesting he put taking riding courses last after every conceivable modification known to man.
I could argue, but don't want to, his reply while clarifying was written in no particular order (although he'd taken the time to number them) was both inflammatory and argumentative towards me.
I personally have to ride a bike to find out what I 'need' to do to it, I don't need to be told by strangers over the web.
Furthermore, if I may critique without being accused of trolling may I say I find all these 'I've just go a 9x0 what farkles must I have?' nave at best, especially as no one ever seems to answer the obvious question 'what type of riding do you do?'.
For example, after 80k km or 50k miles I've just fitted a GiT86 bash plate and side stand reloctor, only now because I'm planning a trip next year involving a lot of off road, 50k miles without incident, so if a noob asked me do I need a sturdier bash plate I would answer how much off roading are you doing, if he said none I'd say save your time and money. Dual fans etc etc etc.
I stand by my original post, it was written without malice, I don't have to agree with every post here in order to be a positive productive member of the community.
Well said!

Seriously, this guy has a long long long way ahead of him, if he's getting offended by your comment, and start calling people names 2 weeks after he joins adv

Lighten up people!
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #8796
mschviuz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
I've been carrying around my endorsement for 30 years dreaming of a dual sport/adventure bike ever since I saw and rode my father's Tiger, KLR, and various GSs. Just wasn't serious enough about acting on it with moves, kids, or money going elsewhere. I finally got serious when the Army sent me a retirement order.

Started with the KLR based on price and ease of maintenance. That lead to the F800GS versus Tiger 800XC when I realized I wanted more HP and better two up options. Somehow in the course of all my research the 990 Adventure appeared on my horizon. Wasn't sure I could get past the look. I was willing to put a purchase off until next year, but then I walked into a local KTM dealer and found a used 2012 Adventure R that hadn't even made it to factory wear in. That black suddenly looked badassed and so I test drove it. At that point, I just test drove the 800XC to be sure. Even after all those years of not riding very much it felt like a street bike that would never grow with me. Didn't help that my buddy who owns a Triumph asked when I was going back to buy the real bike. Enjoyed not having a discussion about dealer freight and prep. Walked out for 4k less than MSRP (not including taxes or registration).

Winter project started late last month:

1. Got KTM Gobi topcase.
2. Upgraded to KTM topcase plate.
3. Got KTM tank bag.
4. Took off DOT reflectors and plated it.
5. Applied some black Dakar reflective stickers to each side's "number plate" (gonna need to earn those).
6. Installed KTM heated grips.
7. Installed KTM auxiliary lights.
8. Installing AltRider black side stand foot today (heavy little gizmo KTM could easily avoid for us).
9. Installing BDCW auxiliary fan for the right side this weekend.
10. Installing BDCW black skid plate this weekend.
11. Relocating right mirror this weekend.
12. Relocating side stand using BDCW remount this weekend.

As cash becomes available future improvements will include:

1. Recommendations from 990 Adventure Noob thread like lubricating or anti seizing various screws, adjusting steering stops, and drilling drain holes in the bottom of both swing arms.
2. Install Touratech rear brake cylinder guard.
3. Install MCS LC8 Low Profile Steering Damper.
4. Install Kaoka throttle lock.
5. Choose a CJ Designs or Fumoto oil drain for tank
6. Install two powerlets somewhere.
7. Install Heidenau K60 Scouts once I trash the stock Scorps.
8. Install a K&N air filter at first change.
9. Adding luggage. Thinking KTM/Trax black hard bags with the removable pannier racks. Got plenty of duffels and drybags already.
10. A couple of 1 gallon Rotopax somewhere.
11. Building up the toolkit with beadbreaker and Slime mini compressor.
12. Personal protective gear.
13. A few rider's courses (again).

Anything else, or will my bike just end up a big heavy pig?

I'll consider some new mirrors that are more dirt worthy later. Also debating black Hepco & Becker crash guards but opinions on guards seem very mixed with added protection versus added weight. Think I'll just ride it and decide for myself.

I took some pictures when I brought it home, but everyone's seen the bike stock. I'll post photos of the progression early next spring to the 'show off your bike' thread just before I get it dirty. Until then the tanks sit topped with Sta-bil and battery is tendered. Ski season starts tomorrow. Good, because I need something else to do beside drink beer and read every Orange Crush post on this site.

Nice list of mods and enough to keep you busy over the winter! I'd just ignore the negativity and rock on.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #8797
KaytM
Just a fella.

Can you provide a quote to the negativity you speak of?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #8798
620rossco
Full on Yob

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
I was expecting the usual congratulations on joining and getting a KTM Adv.
Welcome mate.
Have to admit my big girl is a tad more minimal than you have set yours up.
620rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #8799
mschviuz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Can you provide a quote to the negativity you speak of?
there is no question that you intended to create a bit of a stir with your comment....argue that you didn't, I don't care. The guy is excited about adding a lot of mods to his newly acquired 990, hence the thread title. I say...congrats on your purchase.

AND DON'T PM ME....I'M NOT INTERESTED IN DISCUSSING ANYTHING WITH YOU....I SHOULD POST YOUR COMMENTS TO ME IN YOUR PM....GET A LIFE

mschviuz screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 09:55 PM
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #8800
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

An odd thing; when I first got my 990R I thought the suspension was harsh at the rear and way too light up front.
I futzed with the settings.
Better...
A few thousand more miles, and I'm more used to it.

The front still needs more spring, The back feels OK. I think I'll leave the back the way it is. The front will get some springs.

One panic stop today from about 85 confirmed the front is too light. Oh, and rear tire is really close to worn out.
Feet up two wheel slide on dry tarmac. Cool , but a bit more exciting than I needed.

Fun though.

Man, I love this bike!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #8801
LTKernel
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 134
No worries all. I appreciate the positive feedback and have dismissed the others. I've spent the better part of my life navigating gnarly terrain on expensive toys, motorized and nonmotorized. There's always a few trying to make themselves feel better by looking down on others. Often it's jealousy.

Immediate mods were based on limited time discount on KTM accessories with purchase and taking OC advice on some 990 weaknesses like the right mirror mount, side stand, and cracked or busted skid plates. This thing will see the desert southwest so rocks and heat are in its future. Now that the cash I saved buying used is gone, those other mods will wait. Many of them until the original needs replacing. I know the value in safety courses and riding first.

I've noticed that there's no two Adventures alike and plenty of approaches to how ya set em up. Pipes, screens, pegs, seats, front fenders, rims, risers, tanks, paint, stickers, etc. are all mods I haven't considered.

Anyway, please bring it if you got a good suggestion. Go away if ya don't.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #8802
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Don't forget the Starbucks stickers.
The are awesome!

I really can't wait to get this thing on dirt with knobbies.

Quote:
No worries all. I appreciate the positive feedback and have dismissed the others. I've spent the better part of my life navigating gnarly terrain on expensive toys, motorized and nonmotorized. There's always a few trying to make themselves feel better by looking down on others. Often it's jealousy.

Immediate mods were based on limited time discount on KTM accessories with purchase and taking OC advice on some 990 weaknesses like the right mirror mount, side stand, and cracked or busted skid plates. This thing will see the desert southwest so rocks and heat are in its future. Now that the cash I saved buying used is gone, those other mods will wait. Many of them until the original needs replacing. I know the value in safety courses and riding first.

I've noticed that there's no two Adventures alike and plenty of approaches to how ya set em up. Pipes, screens, pegs, seats, front fenders, rims, risers, tanks, paint, stickers, etc. are all mods I haven't considered.

Anyway, please bring it if you got a good suggestion. Go away if ya don't.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #8803
KaytM
Just a fella.

Ok whatever.
I'd recommend getting an up graded powerband.
The standard one is weak.
A mate was desert riding riding and his powerband broke.
Touratech do a really stout one you can get anadized orange.
Good luck.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #8804
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Winner!

Quote:
Ok whatever.
I'd recommend getting an up graded powerband.
The standard one is weak.
A mate was desert riding riding and his powerband broke.
Touratech do a really stout one you can get anadized orange.
Good luck.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 11-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #8805
LTKernel
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 134
[QUOTE=Mr Head;22877085]Don't forget the Starbucks stickers.

You can bet whole beans, my travel press, and hand grinder will be on board somewhere. I'll zip a Starbucks card into a pocket to make nice with the GS guys.