Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #8791
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
What took out the wire protectors?... Ethanol in your gas up there.
Gasket for adaptor plate not holding up any good either:

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #8792
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
What the hell is going on with our fuel these days...
My white see thru Safari's now have a pink tint to them from some fuel picked up last summer on my trip.

Winter maintenance almost done. But i had to take it for a spin before snow shut me down.

Adjusted 2 tight intake valves, checked ignition rotor bolts, flushed colling, built a new map and put the secondary butterflies back on to see if i was missing anything without them.
Now it sits on the lift without the suspension till that gets done.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #8793
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
What the hell is going on with our fuel these days...
My white see thru Safari's now have a pink tint to them from some fuel picked up last summer on my trip.

Winter maintenance almost done. But i had to take it for a spin before snow shut me down.

Adjusted 2 tight intake valves, checked ignition rotor bolts, flushed colling, built a new map and put the secondary butterflies back on to see if i was missing anything without them.
Now it sits on the lift without the suspension till that gets done.
Reminds me of when chasing an oil leak

But feed it from the rear tank and had both front tanks off =)

Front wheel is very light then and wheelies are not optional anymore but mandatory!

/Johan

Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #8794
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Shhhhhhh, the BEAST is sleeping.

Put it up for the season, all pickled and shhhhhhhhhe is resting until spring.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #8795
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
The last little while I was getting amazing fuel economy. I was riding way longer without the fuel light ever coming on.

Until my bike would not start in the woods. I just had a little left in my closed off advtank so that got me out of a bind.

Turns out the wires to the fuel gauge broke off, right at the plastic. So I got a new unit.

rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #8796
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
My wire for fuel light is broken at the white quick connector. I gotta remember to look at the level in the tanks before I take off. On "the list" for this winter.

What SHOULD I be doing to my KTM today?

Also on the Winter list: New boingers and valving from Konflict Motorsports

....and valves. I was just a tiny split hair of a millimeter off on two exhaust valves at last Winter's check. Gotta buy the shim kit (too far to a Dealer) and some of those handy bent-end feelers before I start that again this Winter.

..... and chain & sprockets. I'm going to a 47 or maybe even a 49t this time. I'm having more fun in 1-3rd gears these days than with 5-6th gears

....and a new Clutch Master. Silly "rebuild kit" doesn't fix the scratched cylinder, so it lasted maybe weeks before leaking again. Been leaking on my left Safari for the last 12k miles or so. I'm tired of getting that black goo dripping out of the back of that piston. Gonna try the ATF this time around.

....and a new coolant bottle. Can't see inside no mo.
Tried rice and vinegar with some Comet last year. Shook like crazy for as long as I could stand it....but for $18, I can just get a fresh clean one

....and......Yeah...all talk, no action
But,.... It's too F'n cold in my garage right now,
and it's still too much fun to stop riding it everyday
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #8797
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,538
New to me.

Bought a new 950. Did extensive work on it. I waited on that light a LONG time. Though I was going to have to push. But it came on finally.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #8798
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
My wire for fuel light is broken at the white quick connector. I gotta remember to look at the level in the tanks before I take off. On "the list" for this winter.

What SHOULD I be doing to my KTM today?

Also on the Winter list: New boingers and valving from Konflict Motorsports

....and valves. I was just a tiny split hair of a millimeter off on two exhaust valves at last Winter's check. Gotta buy the shim kit (too far to a Dealer) and some of those handy bent-end feelers before I start that again this Winter.

..... and chain & sprockets. I'm going to a 47 or maybe even a 49t this time. I'm having more fun in 1-3rd gears these days than with 5-6th gears

....and a new Clutch Master. Silly "rebuild kit" doesn't fix the scratched cylinder, so it lasted maybe weeks before leaking again. Been leaking on my left Safari for the last 12k miles or so. I'm tired of getting that black goo dripping out of the back of that piston. Gonna try the ATF this time around.

....and a new coolant bottle. Can't see inside no mo.
Tried rice and vinegar with some Comet last year. Shook like crazy for as long as I could stand it....but for $18, I can just get a fresh clean one

....and......Yeah...all talk, no action
But,.... It's too F'n cold in my garage right now,
and it's still too much fun to stop riding it everyday
I used a 1/4 tsp of dishwasher soap and hot water, and "shook like crazy" cleaned it up real nice. This was back when I flushed my coolant and did the water pump.

Sprockets for me have been 16 - 45 for the last couple of years. It slows me down on the highway (a good thing) but makes trails a lot more fun. I think 49 would be a bit much unless you want the worlds heaviest trials bike.

I may have to save my pennies for next year to send my "boingers" for a stretch at Konflict.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #8799
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
October 26th I used it to break my left foot. (offroading hooligan on the A trails at the ATR Howling at the Moon dual sport event in AZ)

Yesterday
- Threw a new battery in it.
- Ordered a tire groover/knobby knife
- Ordered new tires for a road trip to Cali this week
- Went from 16/45 to 16/42 gearing for the Cali trip.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #8800
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Tried to start the bikes after some work but have some strange sound from the new 990R

Any thoughts please go over to the DirtyADV going fuel injected thread I have going and chime in.

Cheers!

/Johan

Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #8801
JJLalas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I went 3 days off to Monegros. 800 miles of pure offroad pleasure. It was pretty muddy at times. We had to remove a front fender on my friend's 990 Adventure. I can clearly see now why some people go with the high fender conversion...

JJLalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #8802
LTKernel
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 47
Adventure R Noob

I've been carrying around my endorsement for 30 years dreaming of a dual sport/adventure bike ever since I saw and rode my father's Tiger, KLR, and various GSs. Just wasn't serious enough about acting on it with moves, kids, or money going elsewhere. I finally got serious when the Army sent me a retirement order.

Started with the KLR based on price and ease of maintenance. That lead to the F800GS versus Tiger 800XC when I realized I wanted more HP and better two up options. Somehow in the course of all my research the 990 Adventure appeared on my horizon. Wasn't sure I could get past the look. I was willing to put a purchase off until next year, but then I walked into a local KTM dealer and found a used 2012 Adventure R that hadn't even made it to factory wear in. That black suddenly looked badassed and so I test drove it. At that point, I just test drove the 800XC to be sure. Even after all those years of not riding very much it felt like a street bike that would never grow with me. Didn't help that my buddy who owns a Triumph asked when I was going back to buy the real bike. Enjoyed not having a discussion about dealer freight and prep. Walked out for 4k less than MSRP (not including taxes or registration).

Winter project started late last month:

1. Got KTM Gobi topcase.
2. Upgraded to KTM topcase plate.
3. Got KTM tank bag.
4. Took off DOT reflectors and plated it.
5. Applied some black Dakar reflective stickers to each side's "number plate" (gonna need to earn those).
6. Installed KTM heated grips.
7. Installed KTM auxiliary lights.
8. Installing AltRider black side stand foot today (heavy little gizmo KTM could easily avoid for us).
9. Installing BDCW auxiliary fan for the right side this weekend.
10. Installing BDCW black skid plate this weekend.
11. Relocating right mirror this weekend.
12. Relocating side stand using BDCW remount this weekend.

As cash becomes available future improvements will include:

1. Recommendations from 990 Adventure Noob thread like lubricating or anti seizing various screws, adjusting steering stops, and drilling drain holes in the bottom of both swing arms.
2. Install Touratech rear brake cylinder guard.
3. Install MCS LC8 Low Profile Steering Damper.
4. Install Kaoka throttle lock.
5. Choose a CJ Designs or Fumoto oil drain for tank
6. Install two powerlets somewhere.
7. Install Heidenau K60 Scouts once I trash the stock Scorps.
8. Install a K&N air filter at first change.
9. Adding luggage. Thinking KTM/Trax black hard bags with the removable pannier racks. Got plenty of duffels and drybags already.
10. A couple of 1 gallon Rotopax somewhere.
11. Building up the toolkit with beadbreaker and Slime mini compressor.
12. Personal protective gear.
13. A few rider's courses (again).

Anything else, or will my bike just end up a big heavy pig?

I'll consider some new mirrors that are more dirt worthy later. Also debating black Hepco & Becker crash guards but opinions on guards seem very mixed with added protection versus added weight. Think I'll just ride it and decide for myself.

I took some pictures when I brought it home, but everyone's seen the bike stock. I'll post photos of the progression early next spring to the 'show off your bike' thread just before I get it dirty. Until then the tanks sit topped with Sta-bil and battery is tendered. Ski season starts tomorrow. Good, because I need something else to do beside drink beer and read every Orange Crush post on this site.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #8803
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 270
KTM Stuff

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKernel View Post

Have a look at Highway Dirt Bikes Top Clamp. Made to accept two Powerlets. Of course we would recommend one of those be a Baryl Panel Mount 12VDC socket so you can plug in a heated vest and gloves.
6a. Don't forget at least one or two all-weather USB power ports such as our TAPP USB power ports. Here's the setup on my 990 ADV. Two Baryl ports, one for heated vest & gloves, the other powers my tank bag.
Panel TAPP all-weather USB power port on custom bracket just above the Baryl ports. There is a second TAPP Universal Mount on the HDB hand guards.

Oh yeah, the HDB hand guards - another must-have in my book.

For soft luggage I modified RotoPax Polaris RZR mount - turned upside down and cut off to fit. Slight roll at the top to curve over pannier rack bar.

A bit of a PITA to get to with the bags in place but not too bad.

Or... with panniers in place... spacers made from automotive wheel spacers or billet. Lots of drilling (or machining if you have the capability) required to lighten up some.
I store a couple of Ancra straps wrapped around the spacers. Keeps them out of the way but handy for quick access.

Motion Pro BeadPro bead breaker and T6 combo lever/axle nut hex for sure. Super light weight and work perfectly.

-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #8804
rocketrobbie
Pointy End Goes Up

Oddometer: 13
New to the Orange Crush

1) Brought home my ever-so-slightly-used (<500mi) 2013 Baja.
2) Took her for a blast up Deer Creek Canyon.
3) Consoled my Transalp, as she surely knows she has been replaced by a younger lady.
4) Got to work figuring out how to keep the FedEx guy busy bringing packages to my door!

rocketrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #8805
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKernel View Post
1. Got KTM Gobi topcase.
2. Upgraded to KTM topcase plate.
3. Got KTM tank bag.
4. Took off DOT reflectors and plated it.
5. Applied some black Dakar reflective stickers to each side's "number plate" (gonna need to earn those).
6. Installed KTM heated grips.
7. Installed KTM auxiliary lights.
8. Installing AltRider black side stand foot today (heavy little gizmo KTM could easily avoid for us).
9. Installing BDCW auxiliary fan for the right side this weekend.
10. Installing BDCW black skid plate this weekend.
11. Relocating right mirror this weekend.
12. Relocating side stand using BDCW remount this weekend.

As cash becomes available future improvements will include:

1. Recommendations from 990 Adventure Noob thread like lubricating or anti seizing various screws, adjusting steering stops, and drilling drain holes in the bottom of both swing arms.
2. Install Touratech rear brake cylinder guard.
3. Install MCS LC8 Low Profile Steering Damper.
4. Install Kaoka throttle lock.
5. Choose a CJ Designs or Fumoto oil drain for tank
7. Install Heidenau K60 Scouts once I trash the stock Scorps.
8. Install a K&N air filter at first change.
9. Adding luggage. Thinking KTM/Trax black hard bags with the removable pannier racks. Got plenty of duffels and drybags already.
12. Personal protective gear.
13. A few rider's courses (again).
Interesting you deem the ability to ride the bike of least importance.