ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #9196
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
I'd seriously like to do the full air box removal for simplicity, weight reduction, allow the engine to breathe better, and I'm guessing allow more air flow around the engine in that region.

ben
When I installed my CPR filter I positioned the boot clamps such that I can now remove the carbs without removing the tanks. Just the seat and glovebox.
Makes jetting changes so much easier.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #9197
EZ300
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Well, you know being in Arizona that water crossings aren't common. Removing the snorkel and replacing it with a foam filter isn't changing much -- maybe 6 inches less deep water sacrifice at the most. I ride my CRF450R all over the state and have never come to a water crossing I couldn't do and its air filter is much lower than the 990.

I'm not trying to ride my bike like a submarine. If the water is that deep then it just ain't worth the risk.

I'd seriously like to do the full air box removal for simplicity, weight reduction, allow the engine to breathe better, and I'm guessing allow more air flow around the engine in that region.

ben
I'd like to make the bike easier to work on also but that one time in deep water is worrisome to me. I did sheep bridge a few months ago and crossed in some deep water. Maybe I worry too much but I'll keep my airbox for now. Besides I ride not just in AZ. I've been all over the country. I'd hate to ride to Colorado and then worry about water. ...although I'd probably still worry about it.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #9198
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
I'd like to make the bike easier to work on also but that one time in deep water is worrisome to me. I did sheep bridge a few months ago and crossed in some deep water. Maybe I worry too much but I'll keep my airbox for now. Besides I ride not just in AZ. I've been all over the country. I'd hate to ride to Colorado and then worry about water. ...although I'd probably still worry about it.
Let's play the "what if game".
What if you keep the stock air box and it's still too deep? You find another place to cross or go a different way. I will do the same with mine. I like the extra power and am willing to take that 1 in 100 chance and I will take the long way. :)

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #9199
EZ300
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
Let's play the "what if game".
What if you keep the stock air box and it's still too deep? You find another place to cross or go a different way. I will do the same with mine. I like the extra power and am willing to take that 1 in 100 chance and I will take the long way. :)
That's awesome for you.
Not sure why but it seems some of you get upset when people ask "why" you make certain modifications to your bike.

Anyway,... it's a very cool modification,... just not for me.
www.rockstarsmc.com
Old 02-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #9200
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I think the Rottweiler system "might" let water in a few inches sooner but in the event of a failed water crossing it would make clearing the bike of water and pulling a plug exponentially easier.

Makes no difference to me what system people like to run either way but might be something to consider.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #9201
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,241
Quote:
I see all these air box's and snorkel's being removed. Aren't any of you guys worried about water crossings? I mean what do you do when it's deep water?
No. If your bike has vent tubes, throttle cables, a fuel line and an idle adjuster sticking out the bottom of the airbox like mine did, I wouldn't be submerging that either.
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #9202
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
That's awesome for you.
Not sure why but it seems some of you get upset when people ask "why" you make certain modifications to your bike.

Anyway,... it's a very cool modification,... just not for me.
No one is upset bro. I'm just throwing things out there. There is nothing wrong with either set up. Good luck with your future deep endeavors. :)

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #9203
Brendan33c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
maintenance - about time really......
K&N air filter, topped up the oil (wasn't changed long ago). new headlight bulb.

and a slavens racing skid plate for good measure. ready for my next ride this weekend.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #9204
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
EZ300,

How deep was the water at Sheeps Bridge? I'd like to ride there someday, but I've heard motorcycles aren't allowed on the bridge and everything past it is off limits. I've heard rangers will sometimes wait on the other side to catch riders.

I don't have a lot of ride time in Colorado, but the places I've been were never too deep for a standard dirt bike.

I agree with you about not wanting to have issues, but I still believe that anything that is going to be air box deep is too deep in the first place. Even still, given this, it would be interesting for someone to have an answer to this issue. Maybe an optional base plate for the CPR kit that is more of a bowl or tub that surrounds the filter. Give you the same height as the air box, but without a lid of course, just for some added security. But I'm sure that would have issues of its own...

Or why not make a better air box for the bike that accepts a good foam filter, has a high intake point, but the breathing qualities of more open designs. Just brainstorming I guess.

ben
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #9205
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Loaded it up to play in the mud tomorrow.

Mendo National Forest. Eastern woods style in northern Cali.

350 xcfw all trail worthied up!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #9206
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
tested my new bike rack!

35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #9207
EZ300
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
EZ300,

How deep was the water at Sheeps Bridge? I'd like to ride there someday, but I've heard motorcycles aren't allowed on the bridge and everything past it is off limits. I've heard rangers will sometimes wait on the other side to catch riders.

ben
It wasn't bad until I dropped into a hole and then it was up to my seat. I was stressing big time but came through ok.

I hate water crossings. If I would have tipped it over that would have been the end.
www.rockstarsmc.com
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #9208
LTKernel
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
tested my new bike rack!
Man, the possibilities around Ashville must be endless with that setup. And when the pitch goes too vertical for an Adventure 950 and a cross bike, I hope you have some rock climbing gear stashed in that pelican case.

Pulled my rear wheel and installed a ZipTY Shark Fin while I drank a homebrew. More rock prevention. Lubed the chain adjuster bolts with anti-seize while I was at it. Too easy.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #9209
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Bought a new GPS (Garmin Montana 600) for my 1190.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #9210
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 928
About foam filter and water crossings:

Last year I participated in a rally with my 950 adv that involved lots of water crossings with a couple really deep . One was so deep that standing up I could see half of my head light under the water.....anyway I have/had ITG air filter (CPR is the same just rebranded. ITG is the company that makes it for cpr). I had no issue with water getting into the carbs.

But a 990R adv with stock snorkel flooded and I had to help him because he didn't have spark plug wrench. His air box was full of water,the drain hole was plugged by mud.

A well oiled foam filter holds up against water surprisingly well. I can see this every time I wash the filter. Even a pre filter is better that snorkel. I also rode 8000km to Newfoundland last year and had to ride in heavy rain...no issues. You can get the filter from CPR or this good inmate: Sporting Wood http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870579

Now to stay on topic....I checked the steering head bearings. The bottom one was rusty although I could not feel anything by moving the handle bar.. Got new ones locally and changed both. Last time I changed them was 4 years ago. It'd not easy to get bottom bearing out.