ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #9406
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Put the Upper crash bars and headlight guard from Touratech on today. Just like the Bash plate the fit and design are very bad.
The Headlight protector Plexi-glass is bigger than the mounting bracket and the Holes do not line up. The hardware was wrong and missing the upper middle pieces. I got it on but the fit will cause it to become loose very quick with the vibration and because of the fit it will pop off the first time it gets hit.
[IMG][/IMG]
The Upper crash bars had to be drilled out on the left side and the Bar protectors that came with them are very cheap and look like an after thought. I had to stand on and bend the left side to get it to fit. The bar protectors will get replaced as soon as I find a Black or Orange plastic piece to fit the bars. Also the Hardware is EXTREMELY cheap. these must be grade 1 steel. The heads do not accept a standard size or metric Allen / hex wrench, it is close but as soon as you put a little elbow grease into it, they strip the heads. This happens with both size's the head accepts.
The Hardware is placed so that the pointed end is facing critical components of the bike. I will be replacing the Hardware as soon as possible with Higher grade steel and carriage bolts or I will put Hex or Filster heads facing the Gas tank or Crank case. This is some really bad engineering for Germans!! Sad Sad Sad!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Some one wanted to see the KTM plate I put on the bike. Good quality piece. Everything fit and high quality.

[IMG][/IMG]
The excess threads on those bolts make me nervous.

I noticed that my rear plate as the same wear marks on it from just one trip with the KTM dry bag strapped to the back. I think the protective coating on the bag either rubbed off or the paint on the rack is being marred by it somehow. It won't clean off, that I know for sure.

ben
Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #9407
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,085
New 1190

Picked the NEW KTM up at the dealer, rode it 26 miles (wind was picking up and sky darkening, filled with gas and put the beast away.

Would have taken more pics but my phone battery went dead.
Yes it was now raining.

3/17/14
Registered bike with my old plate.
Mounted plate...made a adapter plate from 1/4" plexi
Canisterectomy

3/18/14
Mounted GPS on short RAM assembly. Mount connected with U around display mount. Had to remove windshield to tighten nuts.
Measured for soft luggage, possibly Wolfman E12 or DayTripper. Already have Enduro Lite Tank bag.

Lets Ride

OhBoy screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 10:19 AM
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #9408
econwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Installed Wunderlich wind deflector, fought traffic down to Speed Moto in NYC (fantastic guys) for an inspection sticker (city tax), quick spin to Bear Mtn, installed tool tray & lower frame/fr. sprocket covers in the snow. Coded replacement key back at home. A good day.

econwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #9409
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Yesterday I replaced the fork springs in my 990R with uprated springs from SuperPlush. And as long as I was there changed the fork oil.
Simple stuff, didn't take any pictures. The cheapie Motion Pro fork level tool doesn't fir over the spring guide, so I put some tape at the 100mm mark and we eyeballed it. First leg I was 5ml over. Second leg about 65.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #9410
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Yesterday I replaced the fork springs in my 990R with uprated springs from SuperPlush. And as long as I was there changed the fork oil.
Simple stuff, didn't take any pictures. The cheapie Motion Pro fork level tool doesn't fir over the spring guide, so I put some tape at the 100mm mark and we eyeballed it. First leg I was 5ml over. Second leg about 65.
You can't just measure the oil quantity before pouring it in? That is what I do on my Showa forks for my CRF450R.

ben
Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #9411
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Have a Black Dog plate on order looks very strong and comes off in 4 bolts. Have their big pegs and radiator guard coming on Wednesday.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #9412
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
You have to slosh it around past the seals and damping claptrap.
Not a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
You can't just measure the oil quantity before pouring it in? That is what I do on my Showa forks for my CRF450R.

ben
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #9413
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post

ben
The CRF has a dual chamber fork. So you have a known quantity of oil in the outer chamber.
Not sure what the 990R has, but my guess is a single chamber. You have to measure oil height for these forks.
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #9414
Masso75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Battery under-seat and new filters kit for fuel pump,non original but much better with internal and external big filters.
Soon a complete report....
Masso75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #9415
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Ordered a new pair of shoes for my 950, which is coming up on its 10th birthday. The owner of the shop I go to started refusing to test ride my bike due to the warped front rotors, so I think it's time. :lol

Thanks CJ!

Orangecicle screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 12:17 PM
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #9416
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,720
Looked and looked for something causing my shifting problem but found nothing. Now I have to wait for a gasket to put it back together. I just love tearing into my engine for no good reason! In the meantime, I get to clean out all the dirt that fell in when I took off the clutch cover. Any good methods for that or just do my best and let the oil take care of it?

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #9417
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I put on some new knobbiesNow she's a proper Adventure bike. Front is TKC 80 TL and the rear is a TKC 80 TT.

trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #9418
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitydirt View Post
I put on some new knobbiesNow she's a proper Adventure bike. Front is TKC 80 TL and the rear is a TKC 80 TT.

The 990 eats those TKC's up like nothing! Add another 35hp, and you're gonna need a FAT tire budget. Bike looks a lot better with them though.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #9419
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Yep, they will be toast in short order. But so what? I didn't buy $17k adventure bike to save on tires. I bought it to RIP UP the World baby!! Moto on boys;-)
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #9420
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
I did the first oil change on my 950 after installing the CJ design drain hose. Well worth the money. I was done in 15 minutes.
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote