ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #9466
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Not criticizing the way you mounted your lights (under) as they look supported/stable either way; but anything in the directions give a reason why they show lights should be mounted on top vs bottom?
It's just SW Motech HAWK lights v OEM KTM. OEM cannot be mounted either way because of lens projection. HAWKs can because they are flood lights.
gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #9467
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
I bought a new Xlite X551 to match my 1190 ADV. I have a white one already and it's a great helmet. Not really something I've done to my KTM as such but nice to share!

Share away mate.
How are you liking that helmet?
I'm thinking about replacing my Shoei Hornet With one as I like the in built sun visor.
Can you give a rating on say, visability, noise Levels, weight, Comfort etc etc..
Cheers!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #9468
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
Share away mate.
How are you liking that helmet?
I'm thinking about replacing my Shoei Hornet With one as I like the in built sun visor.
Can you give a rating on say, visability, noise Levels, weight, Comfort etc etc..
Cheers!
Sure. I've had my white one one for 2 years now and it's been great. I've had Arai, Shark, Shoei, 2x HJC and this my second Xlite X551. The X551 fits my cheeks and crown better than any other helmet but that may be just my head shape. The liners are very comfortable and smooth and wash easily. They also keep their shape over time very well, even after a few washes. The Arai I had was not good at keeping it's shape in terms of the liners and it was an expensive helmet.

The X551 has no lift from the peak at any speed which is great for motorway cruising. The only issue is that the visor touches the peak when it's fully open and this can sometimes create two small marks on the visor itself as it rubs. But even after 2 years I cannot see them through the visor when I'm wearing it so it's no big deal.

It's only slightly heavier (+100g) than all the other dual sport helmets out there and this is because of the internal sun visor, which I have to say is a huge benefit to this helmet. It's the only helmet I could find with a sun visor inside a top quality helmet.

Noise seems low but I always wear plugs anyway so I'm no expert.

Eye port visibility is outstanding.

Chin guard not too close to your mouth, unlike the Hornet and XD4.

As I said above, comfort is second to none in my opinion. Small amount of cheek ache in the first week as the pads settle but now I can ride in this helmet for 5 hours straight and not even notice it's on my head!

I find the sizing small. I'm a Large in all other helmets but a Medium in Xlite.

I'd highly recommend it.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #9469
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
Sure. I've had my white one for 2 years now and it's been great....
....I'd highly recommend it.
Thank-you.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #9470
CamelBill
Ride It!

Oddometer: 534
Valve adjustment

Buttoned up the 950 after a valve adjustment, fork seal change, brake pads etc. This was my first DIY valve adj of the big v-twin, and did it all based on the excellent HOW instructions. (Thanks cpmodem!) All I can say, is don't be afraid to do this yourself. Take your time, follow the guide, and get to know your bike. I ended up replacing 6 of the 8 shims, although only 3 were out of spec. The others were replaced proactively to the higher end of the spec, so none of the shims should now need replacing for many, many miles. (Note that intake clearances tend to decrease as they wear, while exhausts clearances tend to get bigger). I used the V-Rod shims, which come in .025 increments, so you have lots of choices. Don' forget to replace spark plugs and the oil pressure sensor (under $10 part) while in there, they have been known to fail, and alot of work to get to it.

Note that the bike has about 27k miles on it. I am not an experienced mechanic by any means, generally do my own maintenance, but this is one of the bigger things I have tackled. YOU CAN DO IT! Enjoy the ride!
CO Single Track RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post24875020
CamelBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #9471
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Mine got some new lighting.

Sent using smoke signals

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #9472
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,940
Looks very yellow. How does it look from the seat?
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #9473
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Looks very yellow. How does it look from the seat?

That shot had the amber filters on. They snap on and make it very visible to traffic and is best suited during rain, & fog. I will snap them off for normal night duty. :)

Sent using smoke signals

Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #9474
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
I have resisted the urge to add more light. That would only encourage me to ride when it is black as inside the belly of a cow.
I do not see well in the dark. I choose to accept that not as a limitation, but rather as a really good reason to not ride when I can't see.

So, I save money.

Besides I've seen Monsters Inc.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #9475
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I have resisted the urge to add more light. That would only encourage me to ride when it is black as inside the belly of a cow.

I do not see well in the dark. I choose to accept that not as a limitation, but rather as a really good reason to not ride when I can't see.

So, I save money.

Besides I've seen Monsters Inc.

If you add a set of Rigids sir it is like riding during the day. No need to be afraid, all that is going thump in the night is large bore cylinders. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #9476
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,149
Put it on a set of scales. Ready to race/ no fuel, 180kg. Big orange pig.. it gained 5kg!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #9477
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
New duds

Old:

New:

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2004 ZX10 and 3 (yes 3) 2006 ZX10's
2005 Vee
The Gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #9478
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Wink 1190 black screen

Got my standard screen painted satin black on the forward facing side to act as a sun shade for the GPS.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #9479
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
It's the silicone glue in the spoke nipples that do the sealing. I'm not sure that gorilla tape is doing much sealing. But... if I need to install a tube. Say for a hole I can't plug. Or I get a leak thru the spokes. The tape will work as a rim protector.

It didn't take all that long. About an hours worth of work, then letting it sit overnight.

First I made sure my spokes were tight. Then cleaned everything really well. Wire brushed and degreased. Put the wheel up on a stand and went around to each nipple. Injecting silicone adhesive with a caulking gun. While it was still wet I wrapped it with the gorilla tape. Squeegeed it out down (as best I could). Then cut the hole for a valve stem. I tried to make sure I ended the tape somewhat near the valve stem hole. Doing my research on this I kept hearing about the tape just coming up. My thinking is the valve stem will hold it down. So far so good. I surely wouldn't use fix a flat or slime in it. Can't imagine the tape or silicone would like that.

If it shits the bed, I'll post back on here with the results. But for now, I'm pleased with it.
Not sure I would trust that. A loss of pressure at high speed is very ugly. A friend totaled a bmw with a similar sral job when the front tire let go at highway speed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #9480
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,811
Nice Job Gunshot! Did you lay any clear coat on it, worried about chips?