ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #9466
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvfr View Post
I've been waiting for someone with a 9X0 to be the guinea pig!
PLEASE let us know how it turns out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Really need to hear more. Please ride it soon and give us a good report here or in the seller's post.

Was it a direct fit? Any issues at all with the install?

I want one, but I've been waiting for someone to report on fitment for the 990.

ben

It's turning out really well actually. The bulb is a direct fit for the most part, but as with any aftermarket piece that uses newer technology, you will have to make some small modifications. I'll just copy/paste my original write up below, that will give you a good idea of the necessary modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600
So I received the LED H4 bulb the other day and got around to installing it on my '11 990 Adventure today. It was pretty straight forward although if you have a stock headlight housing, you will have to modify it slightly.

First the LED bulb came and it was very well packaged. As others have said it came with three adapters, one installed and two in the box.

This is a shot of the headlamp housing for the 990. It has two rubber boots covering the connectors for the headlights. Unfortunately one of them will have to be modified or left unused with the LED bulb.

Removing the stock bulb is simple.

Once you begin to install the LED bulb it becomes apparent that the plastic locking ring (stock) does not fit within the space available. You can see in the photo below, the set screw hole does not quite line up due to the thickness of the tabs on the locking ring.

This is easily overcome with a few seconds of Dremmel time, if you're so inclined. Once you shave off a bit, you end up with this.

All that's left to do is insert the new bulb into the housing like so...

I used a small dental pick to hook the locking ring and seat it into position. You will NOT be able to get your fingers in there.

Pop the housing back in place and hit the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
Does it happen to say if the fan is water proofed? I know you have to trim the rubber boot from around the base. My only concern would be getting water in the housing. If it seals well I will be buying one soon.

Sent using smoke signals
I can't speak to that, you'd have to ask Off Road Ryder about the water resistance of the fan. Yesterday I removed the rubber boot from the bike wiring by slicing the part that goes over the wires, and then put it over the fan housing (stock location) so water cannot directly get at the fan. I used a combination of electrical tape (to recreate the sealed end) and a ziptie (to make sure the boot does not fall off the housing) to seal everything up. I can't imagine water infiltration will be any more of an issue than with the stock setup now. It sounds a lot more "shade tree" than it looks, but it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
How does headlight bulb do?
Overall it's a great value. The light output compared to stock is amazing, and without the dazzling stray light that I've seen with the HID setups. Add to that the (considerably) lower draw, and you have a winning combination. All that being said it's still early days, as I've only been running it since Friday of last week. I did do two night runs up in the local hills for testing, and I'm really impressed. I also have some long range LED's from Cyclops, and the combination of the LED bulb and the Aux lights was...illuminating.

The only thing I'd caution people about is to be careful when routing the wiring from the LED. You don't want to flex it too much, and it's a very tight squeeze into the stock housing. DO NOT route it like this:

See how I bent it up to get out of the stock housing, that tight a bend can cause issues...Don't do that. How I solved this was to let it bend down at a more gentle angle into the housing, coiling around the fan one time before coming up out of the housing. This puts much less stress on the wiring.

srad600 screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 03:03 PM
srad600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #9467
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 578
I made my own clutch cover protector out of some scrap aluminum sheet, bed liner spray paint, and some adhesive. Full write up here.

ben
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #9468
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Awesome job man! I have been wanting the covers, just not willing to pay for those expensive carbon fiber ones.

Quote:
I made my own clutch cover protector out of some scrap aluminum sheet, bed liner spray paint, and some adhesive. Full write up here.

ben
Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #9469
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
It's turning out really well actually. The bulb is a direct fit for the most part, but as with any aftermarket piece that uses newer technology, you will have to make some small modifications. I'll just copy/paste my original write up below, that will give you a good idea of the necessary modifications.

I can't speak to that, you'd have to ask Off Road Ryder about the water resistance of the fan. Yesterday I removed the rubber boot from the bike wiring by slicing the part that goes over the wires, and then put it over the fan housing (stock location) so water cannot directly get at the fan. I used a combination of electrical tape (to recreate the sealed end) and a ziptie (to make sure the boot does not fall off the housing) to seal everything up. I can't imagine water infiltration will be any more of an issue than with the stock setup now. It sounds a lot more "shade tree" than it looks, but it works.

Overall it's a great value. The light output compared to stock is amazing, and without the dazzling stray light that I've seen with the HID setups. Add to that the (considerably) lower draw, and you have a winning combination. All that being said it's still early days, as I've only been running it since Friday of last week. I did do two night runs up in the local hills for testing, and I'm really impressed. I also have some long range LED's from Cyclops, and the combination of the LED bulb and the Aux lights was...illuminating.

The only thing I'd caution people about is to be careful when routing the wiring from the LED. You don't want to flex it too much, and it's a very tight squeeze into the stock housing. DO NOT route it like this:

See how I bent it up to get out of the stock housing, that tight a bend can cause issues...Don't do that. How I solved this was to let it bend down at a more gentle angle into the housing, coiling around the fan one time before coming up out of the housing. This puts much less stress on the wiring.

I was more wondering since the fan has to be able to circulate air. If it is capped then it can't do that. I've just had issues with HID setup a and was just curious. For the money that is a great upgrade.

Sent using smoke signals

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #9470
Rikki Rockett
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 229
Yeah, but I want it all! Knobbies and the ability to ride street. Of course I don't expect the same ride as with street tires, but I am just looking for it to be tolerable and I think the upgrade did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
The head shake will disappear when you change from the 908 tires.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #9471
rkt88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Took it for a spin! Spring is in the air!
nice rig
rkt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #9472
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
did the first maint. on it. proceeded to blow the clutch oil jet out of my fingers and into oblivion apparently? can't find it anywhere so I ordered a new one. not too bad as it is still snowing anyway....
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #9473
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Rockett View Post
Yeah, but I want it all! Knobbies and the ability to ride street. Of course I don't expect the same ride as with street tires, but I am just looking for it to be tolerable and I think the upgrade did it.
I personally haven't given up. I hope to try the 908 front again after I get the right springs up front and maybe a Scott's on the bars.

ben
Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #9474
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,111
I put in new springs, and that made the front feel better, but I still plan on running a TKC80 up front for the bigger blocks.
The rear 908 on mine is wearing very nicely. Well, for a dirt tire on the street.

Quote:
I personally haven't given up. I hope to try the 908 front again after I get the right springs up front and maybe a Scott's on the bars.

ben
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #9475
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
I was more wondering since the fan has to be able to circulate air. If it is capped then it can't do that. I've just had issues with HID setup a and was just curious. For the money that is a great upgrade.

Sent using smoke signals
Well, I asked the same question in the vendors thread and was told the unit runs pretty cool, so I could feel free to put the cap back on, but he also suggested drilling a small hole to allow air circulation. If you're worried, I'd check in on this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701 He's a really nice guy and is very willing to help answer any questions.
srad600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #9476
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Well, I asked the same question in the vendors thread and was told the unit runs pretty cool, so I could feel free to put the cap back on, but he also suggested drilling a small hole to allow air circulation. If you're worried, I'd check in on this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701 He's a really nice guy and is very willing to help answer any questions.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #9477
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Oops!
Bummer! I know right where you're at... sucks. Heal up quick!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #9478
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Today I replaced my front tire. The Trail Attack 2 is a phenomenal road tire. Front lasted 7000 km of twisty roads. Rear still has another 1000 km to go :-)

12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 AM   #9479
RichyRich68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88 View Post
nice rig
Wilsons. Fresno!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 AM   #9480
shakin_jake
F-u-h-r-i-ggg!

Oddometer: 207
Originally Posted by keener
Wow washer drama you are having....don't reuse your copper washers. They are meant to be crushed to make a seal. You can make used washers red hot with a torch and reuse them may be once more. You can use aluminum washers too.

Your fabric washer will work if it doesn't have rubber in it to melt.

Quote:
I have heard this so many times and yet have been able to reuse washers without any issue on numerous bikes. As long as you aren't over torquing the bolt they will seal just fine.

ben

~~~Gentlemen! Annealing is the process, heating a copper washer (some call them gaskets) until cherry red, then drop in cool water. good as new!

AFAIK, you can anneal the same washer indefinitely. I can't remember ever buying replacement copper washers. I was turned on to this trick (George Rocket showed me) back when I was roadracing (CCS Fla. region) my 900SS Ducati in the mid 90's. The Ducati engineers used copper washers at the banjo joints getting oil from the lower to the upper end. Had the jugs off a few times

Although you can re-use a copper washer w/o annealing, and if it doesn't leak, you're golden, but why take chances...it's so easy to anneal, everyone has a blowtorch...try it

As an aside, I'm doing a commercial espresso machine rebuild that uses some copper washers. Just to keep the parts looking tidy for whenever the covers come off, after annealing, there's some variance color wise in the surface of the washers. to make them look clean and uniform I soaked the washers after annealing in a warm water solution of water and granular citric acid (sour salt) which turns them out looking like new. Not a concern for an oily drain plug washer no one will ever see but if you're annealing copper washers used on hydraulic brake banjos on a bike, and you want a better finish....

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
shakin_jake is offline   Reply With Quote