User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #9781
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Ciao Toto !

No, non ci conosciamo. Sono in Svizzera verso Losanna. Ho alcune fornitori a Milano e scendo alcune volte a l'anno per visitarle.

Fammi sapere se passi una volta. C'è tanti bellissimi giri da fare anche !

Un saluto.

Gianni.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #9782
toto#77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Ma View Post
Ciao Toto !

No, non ci conosciamo. Sono in Svizzera verso Losanna. Ho alcune fornitori a Milano e scendo alcune volte a l'anno per visitarle.

Fammi sapere se passi una volta. C'è tanti bellissimi giri da fare anche !

Un saluto.

Gianni.
;)

non è facile scrivere mentre mi allaccio il casco...
toto#77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #9783
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,232
Long Minnesota Winters...

Well this post encompasses more than just what I did to my KTM "today" but it's in the spirit of this thread. I love my KTM 990 Adv S, to me there is no better way to travel the USA but I wanted an SE to compliment it. I was looking for a bike with the same motor but a little more nimble for the Superior National Forest backroads and possibly some night riding.

After searching Craigslist for months, I saw a used SE in California. Having previously lived in the Bay area, I was able to make two phone calls and be in touch with someone who had already driven up to Redding and taken it for a test ride. Saying our hobby is a tight community is an understatement! He wasn't interested in the bike himself, but he vouched for the condition and running ability. Having a trusted third party look it over was huge, so I bought the bike sight-unseen. That was back in December 2012, and because it was winter up here in Minnesota, I had to wait till summer to fly'n ride it home. So I kept it in storage in a buddy's airplane hangar in Sonoma until the weather improved.

Here's the SE as I bought it. Pretty clean, only some minor rash. (that's me on the airport TUG):

The summer came and went and I couldn't find the time to get back out to the West coast to pick up my new-to-me SE. Finally, September came; mountain passes were beginning to see snow, so I knew I had to get out west or risk storing the bike through another winter. One way I heard you could increase your vacation was to quit your day job. Brilliant! So that's what I did. I quit my job which gave me the time needed to head out west and ride it back to the big MN!

Enjoying the coast before heading east.

It wasn't too far out of California that I noticed I was drinking coolant. Sure enough, WP failure. The PO must have known about this. Oh well, he probably thought it was the head-gasket that's why I got it so cheap! Easy fix, I brought a gasket kit along just in case too.

Other than that minor breakdown, I had a really nice ride home. For some reason I was a bird magnet on this trip back to Minnesota. I smacked/killed/destroyed three bird that week! The hardest hit was pheasant that hit me square in the head. It felt like getting hit by the stud fullback while on scout team offense.

I took my time wandering around the backroads of Montana, only hours from the snow storms that were blowing in last September. Eventually I made it back to Minnesota and the work began.

Ok, so the bike made it back to MN, I found a new job and I continued to ride it last fall. Once snow fell, I decided to tear it down over the long Minnesota winter. Here's where project creep set in.

12-12-2013 - Major Overhaul -
Odometer: 14,233
1. Valve adjustment
2. Oil change
3. Coolant Flush
4. CPR Intake/Jet Kit 45 idle jets 178 main jets front/rear needle on 3rd clip
5. blackdog side stand relocator
6. New Akrapovic TI Exhaust.
7. Crispy Sticker Kit (Gulf Oil)
8. Dual 8 Inch La Paz Light kit.
9. New radiator cap (old one was leaking)

01-01-2014
Rear Cylinder Shim Order
IL = 2.325 18630-01K
IR = OK
ER = 2.80 18682-01K
EL = 2.825 18692-01K

Front Cylinder Clearance
IL = OK
IR = OK
EL = OK
ER = OK

01-11-2014
1. Removed canister
2. Bent rear brake pedal back into place.
3. Bent Clutch lever back into place.
4. Touratech luggage rack.

02-03-2014
1. Gas cap keyless installation
(CJDesigns)
2. Installed fork air bleed off valves
3. New coolant

03-02-2014
1. Fabricated carbon fiber wire housing for new headlights.
2. SAS removal
3. Canister removal
4. Re-torqued head bolts
5. Rerouted crankcase breather
6. Installed Touratech rack
7. Fabricated/Installed Carbon Fiber Dash
8. New Chain/sprockets (16/45)
9. Installed new rear wheel bearings

10. Installed TT exhaust heat shield.
11. Installed Scotts steering stabilizer.

Most of the stuff was simple bolt on affair, but there were a few things that were a challenge. I really enjoyed making the carbon fiber dash to hold the speedo. I couldn't use the stock unit since the large dual La Paz 8 inch lights took up too much room.

Since the big lights replaced the stock headlight housing, I had a rats nest of wires I had to deal with.

I experimented with a bunch of solutions, but I had issues with all of them. A carbon fiber housing had abrasion issues. I was also concerned about keeping as much water out as possible. In the end, I used the recommendation of a fellow inmate, and it was the simplest solution. I scrouged some junked inner tubs from my local bike shop and packed all the wiring inside the tube. Water-tight and well protected from the elements and abrasion.

Wiring the headlight turned out great! I bought some H4 connectors so I didn't have to modify the stock wiring harness. I had one modification I had to make though. As you may know, most dual filament bulbs only have the high or low beam on at any given time. Which means the they are never on at the same time. However, with my dual La Paz 8" HID lights, when I select the high beam, I want BOTH lights on at the same time (spot and flood). To accomplish this, I used a large diode capable of handling the appropriate through current. This allowed the high beam to power both the low and high lights, but isolated the low beam light so it wouldn't power the high beam. So the stock switch can control low or low/high control! Simple! Here's the connector:

Lot's of work, lots of weekends and nights. But I'm happy with the finished results. I had to take some pictures of the SE, because I know it will never be this clean again! Unfortunately, I'm still staring at a foot of snow on my driveway so no riding yet, but soon!

I might be a slow rider, but at least my bike looks fast!

Now that I got my modern bikes ready for summer, I can get back to working on some real bikes!

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 02:56 PM
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #9784
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Walked by the 990 and too my "new to me" 530 for a romp in the desert.
...and on a rainy day in Arizona!

2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #9785
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Drained coolant and replaced with water for now to see if any signs of casting sand on the 950 my dad recently purchased.

Have a steep hill nearby that works great for getting front wheel up to purge any air out of the system:

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #9786
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 751
New chain and sprockets installed after dinner. The gold chain compliments the gold tooth on my skull bike wrap nicely. Should be good for another 15000k or so.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #9787
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
New chain and sprockets installed after dinner. The gold chain compliments the gold tooth on my skull bike wrap nicely. Should be good for another 15000k or so.
Funny, I decided to clean my chain when I got home from work today because it "sounded funny". After carefully cleaning and oiling it I noticed that the rear sprocket (KTM Stealth) was missing about four teeth. The front still looks good but I guess it's time to replace both...got a little over 30,000 miles from the pair. Gotta love those DID X-ring chains.

Maybe I'll even replace the chain...maybe.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #9788
BMacW650

Oddometer: 742
Rerouted plumbing for the chain oiler.

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #9789
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 786
Hi Toto,

where is this?

cheers, Bob.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #9790
zeropoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
Rerouted plumbing for the chain oiler.

front sprocket feed ? interesting. looks like you 're not feeding the sprocket face though....or are you ? or not concerned about it ?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #9791
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
Installed Wings Oh yea
I've never heard of Keal Concepts seats before?
How is it and how much?
Is this their correct website http://kealconcepts.com/?
Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #9792
kendall_smith
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
I've never heard of Keal Concepts seats before?
How is it and how much?
Is this their correct website http://kealconcepts.com/?
Thanks.
Its actually Seat Concepts- the S and the T are cut off in his picture.

www.seatconcepts.com

I have these seats on all 3 of our bikes now and have had them on a few bikes in the past. They are good seats and reasonable price-wise.

I put the tall seat on my 990 and kind of wish I'd have gone with the standard height. It is a bit tall at times and the foam is taking a while to break in as it is still pretty firm.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #9793
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Regarding Seat Concepts Seat:

I put a 2-up Touring Low on mine a few months back. I like it, and my passenger likes it a lot.

Regarding today:

I tightened the intake boot hose clamps, because I was getting some sucking sounds if I slammed the throttle closed. Hopefully that takes care of it.

I also realized that my ITG intake was letting nasty dirt/sand stuff into the throttle bodies. It's not a sealing issue... it appears to be coming through the filter itself. Perhaps I didn't oil it enough when I installed it 3000 miles ago; I applied a light coat to the outside and inside. I cleaned it, and applied a heavier coat of filter oil to both sides this time.

Oh, and I changed the oil: 2 quarts of 5w40 plus one quart of 20w50 should equal about 10w50. Valvoline Synthetic was on sale for $6 per quart. Worth a try.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #9794
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall_smith View Post
Its actually Seat Concepts- the S and the T are cut off in his picture.

www.seatconcepts.com

I have these seats on all 3 of our bikes now and have had them on a few bikes in the past. They are good seats and reasonable price-wise.

I put the tall seat on my 990 and kind of wish I'd have gone with the standard height. It is a bit tall at times and the foam is taking a while to break in as it is still pretty firm.
Thanks Bud!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 AM   #9795
BIGCOD
the desert ninja

Oddometer: 165
Oil Change today

Stripped the bike down and changed the oil and filter today, It took 3.5hrs from woah to go! I cleaned a lot of parts while I was at it and found a fuel leak in the line that joins the 2 tanks so that took awhile to find and fix lol.
Not bad for my 2nd attempt and outside in 34c heat!!

Ready to start

New Oil filter goes in......

All cleaned up and ready to ride!!!

BIGCOD is offline   Reply With Quote