ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #9826
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
Mine came with locking nuts. Yours didn't? Not even sure if you should use loctite on locking nuts since it tends to eat plastic.

Not the lock nuts. The other one holding the peg. Called adv designs. Nice guy. Told me to loc tite them. Then I gave him my cc#. He sold me one peg after I started sobbing like a little girl. I stripped down to hop in lake Chelan
Yesterday. 85 degrees. Water was too cold. Took an hour nap on the dock instead.
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
'15 KTM 1290 SA ordered.
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #9827
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Your bike is telling you something.

You are prob right. BUT. I'm old, fat, dumb, broke, and out of shape.
Everything hurts. Gotta get new positions a lot. Sometimes I sit cross legged on long stretches when I don't need the rear brake or shift gears. H.W.
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
'15 KTM 1290 SA ordered.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #9828
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Don't forget you stripped for her.... :-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I only take pics of ktm's when naked.
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
'15 KTM 1290 SA ordered.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #9829
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Waikiki View Post
Not the lock nuts. The other one holding the peg. Called adv designs. Nice guy. Told me to loc tite them. Then I gave him my cc#. He sold me one peg after I started sobbing like a little girl. I stripped down to hop in lake Chelan
Yesterday. 85 degrees. Water was too cold. Took an hour nap on the dock instead.
Doh! Good point! Got some Loctite in my future as well - thanks!

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #9830
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouralnik View Post
I recently installed the Uni Filter on my 1190 Adv. Had my gas tank pulled and all side panels etc. ... couldn't take the front headlight mask off?! What else do you need to dismount to take the headlight mask of? YES, I read the manual and did all what it says and I still cannot take it off. Thanks
No trick. Just a handful of bolts. Just watch the side panels. They are "hooked" to the tank and have little tabs near the bottom - gotta pull forward to remove.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #9831
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Waikiki View Post
You are prob right. BUT. I'm old, fat, dumb, broke, and out of shape.
Everything hurts. Gotta get new positions a lot. Sometimes I sit cross legged on long stretches when I don't need the rear brake or shift gears. H.W.
Hey! That sounds just like me! We must be long lost twin brothers separated at birth because our parents couldn't handle that much fugly baby and poop.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #9832
LTKernel
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 129
Swapped the OEM handguards after cracking one for Barkbusters VPS, the snorkel for a UNI Filter, and stock air filter for a K&N. Nothing too fancy or technical. Tried to burp the cooling system too, but I'm not sure it had any air in it. Seems to run at about 8 and 9 bars unless I'm doing 60 or 70 MPH with ambient air temp 50 degrees or less. Does that seem right? Thought I saw guys claiming 4 to 5 bars consistently, especially with auxiliary fan.

Tomorrow, I ride. Pony Express Trail to Nevada border. Easy graded dirt and a couple low passes.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_...ess_trail.html

LTKernel screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 09:06 PM
LTKernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #9833
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,222
Bought it.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #9834
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,099
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #9835
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
fuel light ?

Has any one else had fuel warning light issues ?

First tank of fuel for the season no light was able to make it for fuel after I ran out at 70 mph BUT dont need to do that with an electric pump.....

Bulb check was good & I tripped the light with a paper clip so I'm thinking the sensor is bad ?? Only 16,000 miles .

Guess I'll be watchin my trip meter
Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #9836
gouralnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
As I said earlier: I did remove all of the side panels and the gas tank ... and I still was not able to pull the front head-mask. Do I need to unbolt the cover which is next to the horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
No trick. Just a handful of bolts. Just watch the side panels. They are "hooked" to the tank and have little tabs near the bottom - gotta pull forward to remove.
gouralnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #9837
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,231
I burped mine by setting the center stand on 2x4's, strapped the center stand to the front to prevent it folding. Then removed the rear wheel. This allowed me to tip the bike back and massage the hose on the left side of the bike to burp the system. I've swapped out the fan switch for the lower temperature model. That seemed to make the largest difference. Mine runs one bar above half way when on the freeway. splitting lanes at about 20 mph it goes up, since it has been near 100 here, the fans run early at about 6 bars I think. I'll have to check and count the bars. I'm happy if it's somewhere in the middle.
Friday when I got home in 97 degree heat with the bike shut off and just the key on so the fans would run, the bars maxed out. But, the system cooled down enough to shut the fans off. Then while I had forgotten about the key being on, and was mucking about with other bits I heard the fans come back on again. That is when I noticed the bars were maxed. I left the key on for the fans to stop again and shut the bike off.
The dash temp read 92 in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKernel View Post
Swapped the OEM handguards after cracking one for Barkbusters VPS, the snorkel for a UNI Filter, and stock air filter for a K&N. Nothing too fancy or technical. Tried to burp the cooling system too, but I'm not sure it had any air in it. Seems to run at about 8 and 9 bars unless I'm doing 60 or 70 MPH with ambient air temp 50 degrees or less. Does that seem right? Thought I saw guys claiming 4 to 5 bars consistently, especially with auxiliary fan.

Tomorrow, I ride. Pony Express Trail to Nevada border. Easy graded dirt and a couple low passes.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_...ess_trail.html
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #9838
EasyBake
No WAY that just happened

Oddometer: 11
New 990 Frame Guards

I made a new frame guard for the 990... other side next... it is massive!

[IMG][/IMG]

Easybake
EasyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #9839
soupbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Some Mods.

Some new shoes for dirt- "Moto Z Tractionators". Rear tire was an SOB to mount. Not much rim protection, but works well since it is all sand right now around here. They have been really good to me and are holding up well. So far, 1K on them.

Installed second fan and 190 switch from ADV machines. Fit, finish and service is excellent. Took right tank off, but didn't need to take the left off. Did have an issue with the plug. Was trying to fit it on a Sunday and had an issue so sent an email to Ken (from ADV Machines). He replied within minutes! Amazing customer service. THANK YOU!! KEN! I highly recommend ADV Machines!

Shot of my tool kit just for the heck of it. Pretty disappointing that P.O. did not leave kit in the bike when I bought it, but all is well. I put my own together.

High front fender mod from the HOW and rigid lights to go with it on a BDCW bracket. Lights from ZEN Moto in Scottsdale, AZ. Thanks to Dylan for always being the "go to" guy!
soupbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #9840
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 464
Thumb Installed the shiny thing in the middle of the picture

Installed my old H-pipe, missing the heaviest and longest of it's four legs, and one of my Akras. The other Akra is boxed, stored on my parts shelf and waiting to be installed after I beat the crap out of this one falling down in the rocks.

I must say that I am sure happy with the work and service provided by Dave, CJ's exhaust welding dood, and Jenny who did the expediting for my service order. Dave's weld job looks flawless, especially compared to how it would have looked if I had done the job myself. I did consider doing it myself, but I'm glad I spent the bucks and the time to get it done by the right guy. Not only great welding, but it was installed back in my bike 3 days after Dave received my package! That is excellent service. Great job Dave and CJ Designs.

Now, what should I install over there on the left side? I'll need to think about that for a bit.
J.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote