ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #10186
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Thanks, I appreciate your comments and of course the compliment! I too love the aggressive, angular & hard-core 'up right' look of the rally bikes but I've never been a fan of the "replica" look. You're absolutely right the camo does indeed hide the sharp contours, more than I thought it would. The Voodoo fairing also contributes somewhat to the loss of the Rally profile too, much the same way as the 1190's fairing & shield do.

My 990 is the black model and I contacted Crispy some time ago when he was on hiatus from making custom sticker sets so I ended-up not getting any, custom or otherwise. I'm kind of tired of the dark and although I seriously doubt it would ever be confused with a KLR, it's much more visible than it was as before. There's a lot of surface area on these bikes.

Thanks again.
Do tell how you got those clean lines with the Plasti Dip paint. Also give us an update in a bit about how durable it is holding up for you.

I painted my lower tank guards and crash bars black with Plasti Dip. I don't it will hold up in any kind of mishap, for for average wear and tear it seems to be doing alright at the moment. I do worry/wonder how it will do in regular wear areas like where you legs will rub.

ben
Old 06-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #10187
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 415
950 High Fender Question

Has anyone installed a high fender on a 950 with the old style SW Mototech bash bars? The ones that go up hi around the top of the tank. If so, I would like to see a pic or two..
Thanks a bunch..
Old 06-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #10188
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Do tell how you got those clean lines with the Plasti Dip paint. Also give us an update in a bit about how durable it is holding up for you.

I painted my lower tank guards and crash bars black with Plasti Dip. I don't it will hold up in any kind of mishap, for for average wear and tear it seems to be doing alright at the moment. I do worry/wonder how it will do in regular wear areas like where you legs will rub.

ben
I made stencils from a roll of plain white self adhesive shelf liner. I traced the design onto white butcher paper, laid the paper over the shelf liner and then just used an exact-o knife to cut through both. The pliable liner conformed to the contours and sharp edges. It worked out great.

One issue I found though was in order for the Plasti Dip to be peelable, there must be at least 3 coats, 5 - 6 are recommended. Well that builds-up quite a bit and any hard edge made by a stencil can be as much as a full 1/32" from the base surface which creates a noticeable ridge where one color overlaps another. Not noticeable from a distance though.

As far a durability goes, 4 -6 coats will protect from roost spray, pushing through brush and probably minor dirt get-offs, but it's certainly not going to save the day if it gets dropped on the street. The more coats the better the protection. Obviously that's why some guys use spray-on bed liner. I've got 3-4 coats of gray primer; 3-4 coats of Orange and then 3-4 coats of whatever final color. the first two coats of each were light to medium. The final coats were fairly heavy. I used 2 cans of gray, 4 cans of Orange, and 1-2 cans each of the final colors.

One little trick is to use a spray-on wax like Turtle Wax Ice once the Dip is completely "cured" (read: dry). It actually minimizes rub & scratch marks and makes the surface just a little bit slippery so mud just hoses off, even after it's dried.

HeatXfer screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 11:22 AM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #10189
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 1,085
HEAT thats great,very cool looking!!

dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #10190
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Putting the f'ing crash bars back on!
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #10191
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,934
Going back to stock on midrange.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #10192
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Putting the f'ing crash bars back on!
lol - I'm going to. I've had it apart for about 2 mo I couldn't wait to ride it! I had both wheels off to be straightened & trued; had to wait for tires to be delivered.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #10193
Orangecicle
On a "Quest"

Oddometer: 3,284
Installed the Cyclops LED headlight "bulb"

Unboxing:

Stock low beam:

LED low beam:

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #10194
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Are those bulbs a direct plug in?
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #10195
Orangecicle
On a "Quest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Are those bulbs a direct plug in?
All of the pix here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=917

Yes, the thing plugs up directly, but you do have to leave off the rubber boot on the back of the headlight housing.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #10196
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBobby View Post
I flipped my bike upside-down today doing a brake-stand on hot pavement... Asshole move of the month right there 😐
Pics or it didn't happen Seriously though, I would love to see an ADV doing an endo. MotoJournal has some cool footage of a guy doing it on the 1190, would love to see a 990.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #10197
RobbyBobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Fuck... It was SO embarrassing!
RobbyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:52 AM   #10198
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
All of the pix here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=917

Yes, the thing plugs up directly, but you do have to leave off the rubber boot on the back of the headlight housing.
And there's enough room for the little fan at the back of the bulb in all that tangle of wires??

Let me know how it works out for you, I've been asking around about those...
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #10199
Orangecicle
On a "Quest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacktaz View Post
And there's enough room for the little fan at the back of the bulb in all that tangle of wires??

Let me know how it works out for you, I've been asking around about those...
Right now the tangle of wires is, well, a tangle of wires. The fan takes up all the room in the housing, so the wiring has to go elsewhere. The rubber cap can no longer be used with this setup because the fan needs circulation. My plan is just waterproof the wiring and leave it at that.

I rode around last night with the new light. It is much, much brighter than stock, and it lights up reflective signs way down the road. The only concern I had was that the layout of the LEDs on the unit I think throw some light onto the lower part of the reflector even on low beam, which means you get low beam and some high beam even on low. High beam just adds to that a little -- not much difference. I think that I'll lower the beam a little and call it good.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #10200
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Right now the tangle of wires is, well, a tangle of wires. The fan takes up all the room in the housing, so the wiring has to go elsewhere. The rubber cap can no longer be used with this setup because the fan needs circulation. My plan is just waterproof the wiring and leave it at that.

I rode around last night with the new light. It is much, much brighter than stock, and it lights up reflective signs way down the road. The only concern I had was that the layout of the LEDs on the unit I think throw some light onto the lower part of the reflector even on low beam, which means you get low beam and some high beam even on low. High beam just adds to that a little -- not much difference. I think that I'll lower the beam a little and call it good.
Cool!! Thanks for the follow-up!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote