ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #10456
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,246
I installed a Remus Roxx 2-1 and Adventure tool box from CJ Designs. Took it for a test ride and it seemed pretty good. The idle hunted a bit so I will do a 15 min reset. I also have a SAS block off kit to install too, but in wanted to take things in stages.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #10457
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

New rubber for an upcoming trip
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #10458
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Installed a new final drive.

New 17 tooth front sprocket and 47 tooth IronMan rear sprocket with DID XVMXMMXB2VM-XMV2 chain. No chain cutting needed with this combo as it takes the full 120 links. Also replaced the front sprocket cover as sucked up rocks and crap and had some abuse.

I took the old girl out for some fun in the dirt, but I discovered that a half warn front K60 has no side bite at all. At about 35MPH on a off camber section of dirt road, the front end went out with no warning, slamming my shoulder hard into the ground as we skidded along on our side about 10 feet. My shoulder was messed up, but I managed to get the bike upright before the real pain set in. Not that it did a lot of good as not thinking clearly and having no place to put the kickstand, over she went on the other side.

The 95 degree heat, pushing myself too hard, and the stress from the impact pushed my temp gauge far into the red. I had zero energy and could barely walk. I camped under a bush and dumped my water supply on my head to cool down. 15 minutes past and I do a bone check, nothing broken. All the gear did it's job. Just very sore and painful shoulder. I get the bike upright again, but slip and fall into the ditch next to the bike and over it goes again. 15 more minutes of cooling down and gathering the strength for another try, I drag the back to a more stable location, get it back rubber side down, and ride the 5 miles out. Only dumping it 2 more times.
After a cold shower and some rest, I order a TKC80 front.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #10459
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post

New 17 tooth front sprocket and 47 tooth IronMan rear sprocket with DID XVMXMMXB2VM-XMV2 chain. No chain cutting needed with this combo as it takes the full 120 links. Also replaced the front sprocket cover as sucked up rocks and crap and had some abuse.

I took the old girl out for some fun in the dirt, but I discovered that a half warn front K60 has no side bite at all. At about 35MPH on a off camber section of dirt road, the front end went out with no warning, slamming my shoulder hard into the ground as we skidded along on our side about 10 feet. My shoulder was messed up, but I managed to get the bike upright before the real pain set in. Not that it did a lot of good as not thinking clearly and having no place to put the kickstand, over she went on the other side.

The 95 degree heat, pushing myself too hard, and the stress from the impact pushed my temp gauge far into the red. I had zero energy and could barely walk. I camped under a bush and dumped my water supply on my head to cool down. 15 minutes past and I do a bone check, nothing broken. All the gear did it's job. Just very sore and painful shoulder. I get the bike upright again, but slip and fall into the ditch next to the bike and over it goes again. 15 more minutes of cooling down and gathering the strength for another try, I drag the back to a more stable location, get it back rubber side down, and ride the 5 miles out. Only dumping it 2 more times.
Why were you riding alone? I don't even ride my 450 alone in the desert.

Glad you are OK.

ben
Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #10460
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,697
Parts are on order. Touratech stuff?
We'll wait and see how that goes.
New bling, time will tell.

Meantime I keeping hitting F5 on the tracking pages.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #10461
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Thumb

Realised that only four months remain until the final leg down to Ushuaia from Montevideo.
Mis the beast enough that I'm contemplating buying another one, too many KTM is not enough
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #10462
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:

Yikes you were very lucky to get out of there alone!

Big bikes are a challenge for sure.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #10463
Kavalier
Starbucks Adv Poseur

Oddometer: 47
25,000 mile Tune-Up

Major service including valve clearances adjusted, steering head lubed, front forks and rear suspension serviced. New chain, sprockets, TKC-80s, air filter, plugs, fork seals, etc. installed. OMG - Two days of labor and $1200 in parts... Wifey displeased, but the 990 sure rides sweet! Previous owner averaged 2k miles per year, whereas I've only had it since March and have already put 7k miles on it already :-) All that's left is to install my new BDCW sidestand relocator, button her back up and load her up for this weekend in the Cascades!
Kavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #10464
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,076
Worth a look at the oz forum thread [coast to coast record attempt] close to 11000kms in 7 days. What a incredible effort/ride!!!
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #10465
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Holy shit man!

You need a riding buddy in the worst way!

Quote:

4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #10466
RiderVic
KTM Konvert

Oddometer: 31
Homemade GPS Mount

Installed my new to me GPS on the handle bar clamp. Cheap and easy to make from 3/4" aluminum, and a hockey puck!

Holds securely, easy to take off GPS unit, and the price was right.

Hockey puck to aluminum strip surface was milled at 10 degrees angle to get a good viewing angle.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #10467
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #10468
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,113
Installed crispy decals and went romping
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #10469
blackness
more riding

Oddometer: 115
Packed giant loop, put fuel in it, rode it

[IMG]image[/IMG]

[IMG]image[/IMG]

[IMG]image[/IMG]

[IMG]image
[/IMG]

The wind down

[IMG]image[/IMG]
blackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #10470
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,246
Are those stock windshields you guys are running?