User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,359
Right, here we go then...

This afternoon I finally got to work on the bike - stripped the front end off (only took about 30 minutes!)... things were going well I thought...

Then it took me bloody ages to get the sodding captive nuts out of the rear engine mounts (you need to do this to fit the through-bolts that locate the rear tank brackets):

The nuts must be bloody titanium or something! - I blunted three drills, and ended up using a dremel and a hack saw - then got medieval with yo' ass...

Next up I marked and drilled the headstock:

Fortunately the WR has a nice wide and flat face - infact you'd almost think it was designed to accept a nav bracket?!

The JVO bracket is pretty accurately machined (thank goodness) and butts up neatly to the headstock, then is secured with 4 bolts - two from inside (through the thinner part of the headstock) on a plate, and two individual bolts tapped into the headstock itself:

With the tower finally secured in place (after two more broken drills - one snapped off as I was drilling a pilot into the lug on the front of the headstock for the lower brace, the second drill snapped trying to drill out the first - gaaaah!), it was time to refit the forks and check everything cleared the bracketry... it does!

Four bolts hold the rest of the nav tower to the bracket, and the [Euro] stock WR headlight fits straight in!

I refitted the bars, routed the cables, greased and adjusted everything so far... one thing I've found is that on full right lock, the large Barkbuster Storm hand-shield touches the motor of the MD roadbook (typical!) - so I'll have to trim that slightly to clear.

This little lot arrived in the post yesterday - the cradle for the Iritrack and GPS unit (surprisingly good value at €83 for a Touratech part I thought!), only to get spanked €45 for the power lead of course, plus another €45 for the Sentinel bracket, oh, and €45 for the 110dB Sentinel horn too... the robbers!

The GPS cradle will sit between the bars over the risers, and the Sentinel plate has a dedicated position on the JVO nav bracket. I'm liking it so far!

The tanks were also unpacked (to be offered up to the bike):

The twin JVO front tanks hold 10 litres each, the rear Safari Tank another 5 litres - that ought to be sufficient for a maximum 250km stage. I'm still unsure whether I will have to run a fuel pump for the front tanks or not - I've been told it's not necessary, but I can't see how I'm going to get all the fuel out, as the tanks front edges are lower than the carb... I may stick on a vacuum pump anyway, just to be safe...

I also assembled my safety kit (FIM requirement) - which includes 3 litre of water (in a camelbag here), flares, strobe light, mirror, compass, space blanket and a lighter - plus a first aid kit of course. All this needs to find a home somewhere on the bike itself (the water is essential, and the other stuff I'd rather not have on my person if I can help it...)

The safety kit will stash in the Kriega Kube1 bag - which may go on the rear fender, but most likely will be stowed inside the fairing. The waterbag I intend to stow in the void between the front fuel tanks, under the front edge of the seat.

I will also have a small [essential] toolkit, which I have minimised to fit in a Kriega 'Stash' wallet - result! This actually fits in my Kriega bum-bag (can you see a pattern forming here?), but may well go on the bike itself too, depending on space - certainly I will strap a pair of Motion-Pro tyre irons/wheel-nut wrenches somewhere to complete my toolkit.

So, day one, and I'm already burning the midnight oil:

But I feel I've achieved plenty, and got to know the bike even better... and at least now, everything ought to be bolt-together...

Tomorrow will be long day as I have to get up at 6am and drive 300 miles to pick up my paintwork and the Talon Wheels... oh, and get the tyres fitted up on both sets of wheels!

J xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-13-2010 at 05:58 PM
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #32
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
I'm really digging seeing your thread and BlueBull's about building these bikes up and getting ready for racing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #33
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamman35
Hi Jenny, excellent thread! How did you manage to get all the parts together in time?
Ask me by the middle of next week...

To be honest, I've been thinking about this project since I got back from the Heroes-Legend rally last year... and all the buzz on here regarding Dakar this year made me take the leap...

Once I'd decided the WR was definitely the way to go at the beginning of March (I was considering the new Suzuki RMX450Z, but there is so little kit available for them at the moment, and the WR is utterly proven and probably the 'best' of all the 450cc class bikes regarding reliability and aftermarket support?), I got on to JVO (via Drfakoo - thank you!) and got the kit ordered, and since then, have desperately tried to ensure everything arrives 'Just in time' - hence the title of this thread!

I'm not suggesting this is going to be a 'no compromise' bike regarding specification and cost, however, I drew up a list of what seems to work with this bike (Hence the JVO kit, not just because I like the look of it x) and will build it with what Simon Pavey said to me last year regarding the Dakar in mind: "Do what you can to give you the best chance of getting that finishers medal, because that is all you're [ever] going to get..."

Soooooo - the simpliest, lightest possible bike, with reliable accessories and modifications... seems to be the ticket this time eh?

J xx
Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #34
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Yay another epic build thread!

Definately be following this one and if I don't/forget to get in a last minute good luck then...GOOD LUCK!

If your going to hear advice like that Mr Pavey seems like the guy to listen to! :P

Btw, thats your shed!?
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #35
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,714
Great stuff JMo (& piglet)
I'll be watching this build closely.
Thanks for sharing.
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #36
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
It's official! I am carpeting my garage! Nice that you have so much room to work on your bike! Looking good so far! Take lot's of pics please!

Sooo looking forward to my turn to build up a rally bike!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #37
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone
It's official! I am carpeting my garage! Nice that you have so much room to work on your bike! Looking good so far! Take lot's of pics please!

Sooo looking forward to my turn to build up a rally bike!
Hee hee - in my old house I had a carpeted garage for a long time, as the previous owners had used the space as an art studio and carpeted it - makes lying underneath the bike/car much more comfortable!

Fortunately the workshop I'm using at the moment was used in a similar fashion, although usually has a car in it, hence the space... and I've been able to park it elsewhere while I build the bike up!

J x
Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #38
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

ps. no more pics yet, but today I picked up my painted fairing and fender, plus got tyres and mousses fitted to my new Talon wheelset...

It is going to look awesome!

J x
Old 04-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #39
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
ps. no more pics yet, but today I picked up my painted fairing and fender, plus got tyres and mousses fitted to my new Talon wheelset...

It is going to look awesome!

J x
J, how long dare you keep us all waiting for more pictures!!!

You should know by now that you can't just say 'I picked up my painted fairing and fender' and then leave us all in cyber suspense!!!
barrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #40
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier911
J, how long dare you keep us all waiting for more pictures!!!

You should know by now that you can't just say 'I picked up my painted fairing and fender' and then leave us all in cyber suspense!!!
It's only been two days... Wait. It's been two WHOLE DAYS??! Without an update?! The suspense is literally killing me... slowly... day by day...

Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #41
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

You guys... I dunno... the past two days I've driven over 650 miles to pick up various bits and bobs, and all you want is bloody photos?!

Oh, ok then...

So - Wednesday I went and picked up the paintwork - I decided to use the paintshop I've used in the past for various bikes, as they are top notch... they used to be local to where I lived, but then I moved 300+ miles away, so they are not exactly next door anymore... still, it was worth the journey. I also coordinated the delivery of my new Talon wheels via Desert Rose Racing, who fortunately fitted up my new wheels with tyres, plus the OE Yamaha set with some part-worn spare tyres and mousses that I took off the Tenere [all the way from Dakar!], ready for the rally...

Black is the new gold...

I then spent the following morning picking up everything I could possibly think I'll need for the build - loads of hardware in various sizes, fuel pipes and clips, filters, QR fuel connectors, a few electrical bits, and also managed to find an adapter for the BNC GPS aerial I bought... The rally comms company charges you €70 for a GPS aerial, that you can buy for 7 from ebay! However, it needs a particular fitting to connect to the official GPS units, and it so happens I found an adaptor in Maplin for 2 - result!

Plumbing!

I made a start on the bike again this morning - although the kit is essentially bolt-on, you do have to make a number of modifications to get everything to fit... a 'major' mod is to reposition the radiators forward and angled inwards more - this is necessary to keep the bike as narrow as possible, which is a good thing, of course...

The kit includes a pair of lazer cut brackets to remount the radiators, although you do have to chop the lower pipe on the right hand rad (see above), and the kit comes with longer hoses to connect everything up...

Typical of their attention to detail, the brackets have cut outs so you can retain the OE radiator braces - neat:

With the new (longer) hoses connected, and the system refilled... I then realised I'd have to remove the right rad to fit the fan bolts - fortunately I managed to rotate the bracket without having to re-drain the system and disconnect the rad - phew!

One thing the instructions (I say 'instructions', I mean a series of emailed photos and a google translated email x) say to be careful of is that the header pipe doesn't touch the underside of the right hand fuel tank... however, on my bike at least, there was certainly no danger of this, as no matter how I jiggled it, the pipe was so low that instead it touched the lower tank mounting bracket - tedious.

Still, there is nothing more I like than a quick raz with the angle grinder, and I scalloped a section out so the pipe clears comfortably:

(note that is not the final position, just an illustration)

Also note, the 'custom ceramic-coated' header... er, I mean Wiltshire shite-coated header...

With the bracket and header bolted up, it was time to offer up the tank:

And bloody hell - it fits!

Note the exit aperture for the fan air, and the recess in the tank for the kick-starter... the quality of the plastic mouldings and fittings are at least as good as Acerbis... top stuff!

I then fitted up the other side, and offered up the rear tank too to get an idea of the size:

The seat fits ok, but not perfectly... the kit comes with a fibreglass extension piece to cover the space between the tanks, and the idea is you bolt this to the underside of the seat, and get the whole thing recovered... I doubt I'll have time for that before Tunisia, so my plan for now is to just use the extension as a cover... fortunately, there is masses of space between the tanks - plenty of room for 3 litres of water (FIM requirement) in a water bag, plus a few tools and hell, even a packed lunch perhaps?!

Those of you with eagle-eyes may have noticed the fairing busting out of it's wrapping in the photo above with all the tanks fitted (I couldn't resist taking a look as I was working!) - so here it is in more detail:

I decided to go for the same colour I re-painted the Tenere fairing side-panels...

...and if any whiners don't like it, tough sh!t - I think it looks the bollocks!!!

Anyways...

With the tanks on, I could help myself but to test-fit the fairing! It's held on by 4 Dzus fasteners (JVO pre-installed the brackets and drilled the fairing, and bloody hell, it all lined up!) - plus there are a couple of pins in the front of the navigation brackets, that locate though the front of the fairing above the headlight/HID aperture.

(I love the space around the fan - I imagine the cooling is great with this set-up?)

The fairing comes with a clear lexan cover for the HID aperture, but I also fabbed up a plate and got it color matched, as I don't intend to run extra lighting over the summer (maybe for Dakar x), and the stock [Euro] headlight has dip and main beam 55/60W halogen bulb anyway...

This picture really shows how narrow the bike is:

With the full Dakar kit, the space between the tanks becomes the [improved] airbox - however, with the Lite kit, it really is a bit of wasted space? If the tanks were extended in here, you'd have at least 5 if not 6 or 7 litres extra fuel - essentially negating the need for a rear tank? Still, it will be useful for me as I want to stow my water here, plus a few tools and even the safety gear (flares, first aid etc)...

This evening I started messing around with some of the electrics (I'm going to need at least one full day on the wiring over the weekend), and fitted one of Tony Schattat's IMO/ICO/Roadbook remotes - a beautifully made piece of kit - thanks for getting it to me in time Tony!

I also fitted the sentinel bracket that came with all the other nav and comms gubbins I bought - I was impressed that JVO actually pre-drill the nav tower to accept the sentinel plate, and was doubly impressed when I realised they had also threaded the holes too!!! I also fitted the nylocks to the back of the countersunk screws - don't want to loose that sentinel and forfeit the €1000 deposit!

The JVO nav tower also includes a plate under the main nav gear for the trio of GPS/Iritrack aerials:

(note it's even pre-drilled to accept zip ties!)

However, the comms company don't suggest that the aerials are covered by either metal or carbon fibre.... so I don't know how other owners of this kit overcome this? I'd be interested to hear what other people have done?

Personally (using only a single IMO) I have a enough space on the main plate to fit the three aerials anyway, so may use this space below for the safety gear bag (Kriega Kube 1 fits perfectly in there!)...

Fortunately the new front wheel slotted straight in (with the correct spacer to eliminate the OE speedo drive), so I decided to hook up the IMO sensor as I was fitting the front fender:

I've used the original Touratech adjustable bracket (that was originally on my XR650R rally bike) as Nick Plumb suggested this was the best option (and the fact he didn't have any of the pinch-bolt mounted brackets in stock x). Actually, it does make perfect sense as not only can you accurately adjust the position of the sensor, but being bolted to the fender means that wheel swaps are easier without having to reset the sensor position...

I have also taken the precaution of fitting a second sensor bracket to the OE fork protectors, should I decide to run with a high-fender during any part of the rally/season.

And so, the moment you've all been waiting for...

Of course it is a long way from finished! - but at least it sort of looks like a proper rally bike now?

As you might imagine, I shall be spending a lot of time in the workshop over the next few days - sorting the fuel lines, re-jetting the carb, sorting all the wiring and doing all those 'ah, bugger' jobs, in an effort to have a running bike early next week, and get some testing done!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-16-2010 at 06:31 PM
Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #42
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

AWESOME RESULT! Looking sharp with that Robins egg blue! I'm digging it!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #43
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #44
yamman35
Moto biker

Oddometer: 39
well impressed, keep up with the good work. How much would a beauty like this cost to make? and how many hours have you put in?
yamman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #45
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamman35
well impressed, keep up with the good work. How much would a beauty like this cost to make? and how many hours have you put in?
I'm keeping all the receipts (I wonder if it's tax deducible?!), so will tot everything up once the bike is running and ready to go...

Obviously with projects like this there are any number of variables - such as choice of brands/components for things like bars/handguards/steering dampers etc; factoring in consumables such as tyres/mousses; which spares you decide to take; and of course the cost of all the navigation gear (IMO/remote/roadbook/various mounting brackets and cables/aerials) which fortunately I have been amassing over the past couple of years - buying that little lot brand new in one hit would cost around 1500 on it's own these days...

Hours wise, well, I've stopped counting already!

J x