NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #47
Clif
GoEasyStepLightlyStayFree

Oddometer: 344
slacker

why can't we hear the bike run
or see the test ride ?

Don't tell us you are sleeping @ night and not posting for us!

Clif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #48
drfakoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I touch myself ....
drfakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #49
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Looking hot, very very hot. Lave the pannier style tanks. That JVO kit seems extremely well though out. Worth the money when something works/goes together that well.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #50
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Steeky!

JMo, your threads are always a treat. Looking forward to following the build up and event. Give the RR number a test call (been having a few issues with it) and feel free to chat away as you prep.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #51
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
We are sooooo demanding of our JMo i suppose!!
Demanding that she chronichle her build, testing and obviously the race it'self that I thought we could smooth the thread along with some of our own pictures and maybe give her a day off!

Only one day off mind you! Two or more would be too painful!

This was me in my first Rallye the 2007 Optic Tunisie the race that JMo is about to enter. Built myself a alloy framed WRF 450, one of the first of the new model. There were very few rally parts available for the new model so had a Clarke 12 litre up front. A Safari universal 5 litre saddle tank on the rear fender and 'Patsy Quicks' very own alloy Meca 5 litre tank on the left side. It still had her race number partially on it from her previous Dakar finish. It did manage to work it's way loose on about day 7 and fall off 'OR' was it me who fell off causing it to dislodge it'self. Anyway I 'Did' remember to go back for it and carry it to the end of the stage in my back pack.
An MD roadbook with single Ico and sweet new Talon wheels with cush completed the setup.

This was our bivvy at El Borma, Tunisia. Patsy's first Rallye as an assisstance provider. Not much in the way of 'Branding' of the Desert Rose Team but the customary exellent service provided by Patsy and her guys.

That's my WR in the back with a 2Trac in the fore ground. It had an experimental Safari tank holing something like 28 litres up front. I say holding, it had actually been punctured on the 'Corsica' stages we had that year and he was lucky to make 150 km with it, in fact he was lucky to make any KM without it going up in smoke!

My next Rallye was the 2007 UAE Desert Challenge.

This is the 'old' model WRF I built up with the parts being much more available and you can maybe see the sneaky 2Trac system on there.
Even with the 2 wheel drive system the DC is a really tough event as I guess Tony and JayBo experienced.

I lost count of how many weeks that bike took to build, how is Jenny going to build hers by the end of the month. Maybe if we stop hastling her for updates!.......Can't see that happening anytime soon

JayBo if you are watching there are all of those sponsor stickers you mentioned, ages to cut and place on the bike but soon fell off on day one!

Finally a picture of the KTM I built for the Maroc Rallye 2008 where I had the pleasure of meeting Don Hatton while he prepaired for his first Dakar in 2009.
It's just too easy to buy Rallye parts for the Orange machines and the result can be spectacular (See Mr JayBos for proof!!! )

However I have seen a JVO kitted rally Yamaha, one of the first production models a couple of years ago and am very tempted to to go back Blue

So even though this is my first post with pictures, and I now realise how much is involved with creating a post like this, Jenny Please 'keep it coming'!
barrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #52
PackMule
love what you do

Great stuff, B911. I'm envious of you guys who can run events like this.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #53
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Happy 1000th post JMo!

Yikes! Better make it a good one then eh?

Ah...

Well, there are no fancy pictures of stickered up fairing panels yet, nor can I report the bike is running...

However, it has been a productive weekend, with a 1001 jobs done - many of which you would never consider until you actually get stuck in...

Fortunately the rear sprocket and carb jets I ordered online turned up Saturday morning, so I could put it off no longer - it was time to delve into the carb and see what jets were in there (not that I didn't trust the dealer to sort them as part of the derestriction, of course...)
The WR is a bugger to work on, and the only way to get to the carb in any real sense, is to remove the rear shock first... fortunately, the bike is well designed for servicing - looks just like a works 690 rally bike from this angle doesn't it?!:

(note how the coolant overflow bottle cap remains upright, even with the subframe tilted up like this - neat eh?)

Once the shock was out, I became intimate with the removal, stripping, and internal workings of the FCR carb:

(looks a bit like an ikkle alien doesn't it?!)

Of course it turns out that the dealer had replaced the main jet, pilot jet and leak jet with the pukka spec - for Europe/UK that is #175 vs. 160 Main, #50 vs. 48 Pilot, and a #45 vs. 60 Leak jet... the only jet they didn't change was the Pilot Air jet - I fitted a #110 vs the stock 70, which is meant to help cure the off-idle bogging... since I had the carb off and apart, I also fitted a Sunline knurled fuel/air screw, to make any future adjustments much easier.

With the carb off, I also took the opportunity to reroute the crankcase breather hose into the airbox - the top hose particularly is really convoluted and clutters up the carb and top of the cylinder area...

As part of the strip down, I removed the wiring loom from under the frame and simplified the routing for easy access, and to make lifting the rear subframe much easier in future.

With my obsessive compulsive hat on, I also got out the grinder again and trimmed the bolts that hold on the chain guide - they were sticking out about 8mm, and made it particularly tricky to get the wide 140/80 Michelin Desert in and out...

I also trimmed the header pipe shield clip where the lower tank mount fits - the bolt was just touching the clip before and I didn't want any heat transfer or annoying rattles...

Of course I could have just cut it off, as there is no way I am ever reverting this bike to standard now!

With the rear-end reassembled, I turned to the front, and the spaghetti nightmare that was the wiring!

There is an incredible amount of crap to wire up and route around the nav tower - I used to wonder at the birdnests you see behind a rally fairing, but now I know! Still, I tried my best to keep everything simple and routed neatly... rather than jump straight in, I considered which wires to group together, and made sure that I wired everything off the bike, so that I knew bits could be removed and replaced if required - there is nothing worse that soldering on loads of connectors, only to find you've tied yourself in knots or that a connector won't fit though the hole you pushed the cable through!

Anyway, the wiring took most of today (until about 9pm tonight infact), but I'm pleased with the result:

I had to split the fuse box, as the rules stipulate that the GPS, Iritrack and Sentinel devices all have to be hard-wired to the battery (ie not through a switch). However, I wanted the navigation gear and the fan switched, so I could cut the power to those to make sure I didn't drain the battery by leaving stuff on...

As part of the wiring, I also fitted LED illumination to the MD roadbook (no, it doesn't come as standard!), as I'd already been caught out on Heroes-Legend in the dark...

The JVO kit comes with a neat little alloy bracket plate to attach below the roadbook - with a pre-drilled space for the WR ignition switch, and typically a repeat ICO, but I decided to use those holes to mount my toggle switches - left for the Nav gear/fuse box power on, and right for the fan on/off.

The Touratech IMO still needs to be mounted (the pre-drilled holes are for ICOs, not the IMO), and there is plenty of space for the trio of GPS/Iridium aerials with a clear view of the sky - result!

I really took my time with the wiring today, and get it right the first time as I only intend to do it once! I used spiral binding to protect the various cables (I love that stuff, I'm a total convert now!) and tried to make sure there was no excess cabling, but at the same time, allow enough slack should connectors have to be replaced etc.

I was particularly pleased with the new routing for the loom:

Just look how much space there is around the engine now! The great thing about the JVO twin-tank design is it frees up all that space around the frame top-tube, so access to the wiring will be much easier, plus there is loads of stowage for my water bag and sarnies...

Finally I properly mounted the rear tank, and refitted the seat... you can also see the second LED (DRC Phantom) light I've fitted on top of the rear fender to meet the FIM requirements - it is wired separately into the original indicator circuit, so is switched via the handlebar control unit (which have been repositioned on the nav tower just below the toggle switch panel), and will therefore flash if I use the relay. I have wired the brake-light LEDs rather than the tail light side, so as to provide a high-intensity rear light...

Everything electrical I've added is working (yes, I did check the fan sucks instead of blows x), and all there is left to do is route and secure the original loom to the nav tower now...

However, I have realised a problem... it turns out that two of the three aerial cables do not have the correct connectors after all, for the devices supplied by the rally organisation... turns out the E-track (I used on Heroes') has a different Iridium cable to the Iritrack (I will need for NPO & Dakar etc), and the official GPS unit has some obscure connector too (rather than my nifty ebay bargain and two quid adaptor - doh!)

So, I'm going to have to blag the correct parts for now, as there is little (if any) time to order them from the official suppliers, and the robbers also charge you a flat rate of €40 for shipping! (and yes, the two parts I need come from two different companies, both who charge €40 for shipping - gaaaah!)

So with that, I'm off to bed...

I promise there will be photos with stickers soon!

J xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 04:30 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #54
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Steeky!

JMo, your threads are always a treat. Looking forward to following the build up and event. Give the RR number a test call (been having a few issues with it) and feel free to chat away as you prep.
You bet!

I'll save the call-in for the first test ride - hopefully in a day or two!

In the meantime, there is a slightly more pressing issue of how to actually get to Tunisia in 12 days time... the UK (and most of Europe) is currently grounded due to a volcanic cloud! I fear I might be traveling down in the back of the support truck! That will make an interesting call-in too no doubt!

J xx
Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #55
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
In the meantime, there is a slightly more pressing issue of how to actually get to Tunisia in 12 days time... the UK (and most of Europe) is currently grounded due to a volcanic cloud! I fear I might be traveling down in the back of the support truck! That will make an interesting call-in too no doubt!

J xx

Indeed!!

:rapt

Pyndon '13
Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #56
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Wonderful work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I had to split the fuse box, as the rules stipulate that the GPS, Iritrack and Sentinel devices all have to be hard-wired to the battery (ie not through a switch). However, I wanted the navigation gear and the fan switched, so I could cut the power to those to make sure I didn't drain the battery by leaving stuff on
Not entirely true!
Only the Iritrack has to have continuos power regardless of the ignition switch being on or off (so the organisers have a permanent eye on you!)
The GPS and Sentinel can be switched off with the ignition switch at night (or else they'll drain your battery over night)!

And don't forget to attach the backup battery pack to the GPS. I didn't during the DC, and when using the electric start for long periods the onboard power can drop so that the GPS turns off without you even noticing!!!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #57
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Hi Tony - yes, it will be an 'experiment' to see how much charge that stock battery holds on the event, but I have the GPS back up battery in place, just incase!

The mounting info I got with the Sentinel said it should be wired directly to the battery too?, but the GPS info was a little ambiguous saying "continuous and stabilized" - I read that as constantly wired, and DC (not AC, obviously), but presumably they just mean it should not cut off if the engine stalls?

Anyway, Patsy recommended putting all three directly to the battery (without a switch), just incase the scrutineers get fussy - I can always pull the fuses, or disconnect the power leads overnight as you say x

J xx
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #58
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Stinking of Petrol!

Right, a little more progress on the bike today - it's amazing how all those little 'finishing off' jobs take so much time!

First of all, I finally finished the wiring, and mounted the IMO above the roadbook holder... I had to take the grinder to the instrument plate (I love my grinder!) as there were two little triangular brackets, and I just couldn't work out what they were for... and one of them was in the way of my IMO position anyway...

With the IMO fitted, I connected up the rest of the superseal connectors, and bingo - it all works!

Note the bracket above the headlight is for mounting an HID/Zenon projector lamp (neat eh?) - although as I am running a 55/60w dip/main lamp, I'll save the weight (and cost) for now - unless I go seriously wrong, the Tunisie Rally is run in daylight only - bivouac before nightfall is my goal each day!

The left hand side of the Nav tower has a dedicated position for the Sentinel mounting bracket and horn:

It's all very well thought out, although you can see why Rally bikes weigh so much more than their enduro counterparts with all this crap bolted to the front end!

With the Tower complete, I fitted the GPS Duo cradle between the bars:

This will hold the GPS (from the organisation, everyone has the same unit) and Iritrack (Satellite tracking and emergency communication unit) combined into a single unit. I thought the cradle would be stupidly expensive (bearing in mind how much work/components there are), but was surprised to find it cost €86... strangle how Touratech can charge over €100 for a 'regular' GPS cradle that is a quarter of the size?!

I fitted the Duo cradle to the bar clamps, using a similar bracket to the one I fitted the [smaller] E-track device to the Tenere for Heroes-Legend:

As you can see, I am still running the stock risers and no steering damper (I have run out of time and money!), which will either prove a useful saving, or an utter folly... certainly I intend to fit a steering damper for future events. Note also the spiral binding cable wrap - it is excellent stuff!

Then it was time to sort the seat mounting - there is a fibreglass cover that attaches to the base of the seat, and extends forward to a Dzus fastner between the tanks. JVO suggest to bolt this part to the seat base, then get the whole thing recovered... however, I think it looks a bit weird with a big padded shlong in front of you, so elected to retain the stock seat/cover for now, and will look into getting a complete custom seat made to fit once I get back from Tunisia... In the meantime, I trimmed the fibreglass cover down a littleto sit as low as possible, only trimmed a bit much of one side (ok, I'm being a bit anal, it was like a 7mm sliver that's all). The cover is 'inside out' giving a smooth gel coat to the inside (which on the full Dakar kit bikes is the lid of the airbox, between the tanks), but this means the outside is raw fibreglass, and very hairy and prickly - I itch like a bastard now! For now I have covered the outside with black duct-tape (nice...) and a rubber edging trim... again, time is running out and this will suffice for the first event.

Note the gap on this side of the bike is again a 'left-over' from the full Dakar kit - which replaces the stock airbox with a filter between the tanks, and an additional duct piece that links the airbox to the carb. I intend to fill this aperture with a foam fillet, as potentially the stock airbox will be sucking in through here, or at the very least, the battery etc will get covered in sand!

So, with those major jobs out of the way, I thought it was time to see what it looked like with the fairing back on...

Fekking Awesome I hope you agree?!

After a brief pause to ingest copious amounts of Red Bull, next it was time to sort the fuel lines... I got a dual fuel tap [sorry, 'petcock' for you Americans x] from Patsy, and this will allow me to run either front or rear tanks individually. Some riders will use their different tanks depending on the terrain, to aid weight distribution/traction etc. But to be honest, I'm not really sure how much difference it will make for me? The 5 litre rear tank is not going to make a huge difference whether it is full or not I imagine... my intention is to essentially run the front tanks, and use the rear as a reserve (there is no separate reserve on the front tanks), and for the longer stages...

Out of interest, I see from the rally itinerary, that there are three days with special stages significantly over 250kms (289/265/280), which is a little disconcerting, as the initial info said 220kms + 10%... good job I bought that rear tank I reckon!

Anyway, trying to find a position for the tap mounting plate was proving tricky, until I happened on this:

It seems as if it was made for it! (although in reality, I believe those lower tank brackets are actually machined to hold a vacuum fuel pump, again the full Dakar kit includes the pump/s)...

I also bought some seriously heavy-duty fuel line, plus an assortment of clips to keep things together in the event of a spill - although to be honest, the hose was so hard to get onto the barbs, that it ain't never coming off again I imagine!

Each tank has a QR connector (non-spill type) to aid stripping for servicing, and I have put an inline filter on the rear hose, and will have another for the twin front tanks, after the T connector. From there the hoses run into the fuel tap, and I have decided to go for an electric fuel pump between the fuel tap and the carb, so as to maintain pressure when the fuel level drops below the float bowl...

Here are all the hoses connected (I need to buy some more clips!):

As you can see, there is still access to the oil filler and dipstick, and hopefully enough space on that bracket to mount the fuel pump when it arrives!

So, that is pretty much everything done... hopefully the pump will arrive tomorrow, and I can take it for a test ride!

There are a few other little jobs still to do - fit a brake snake, some neoprene fork seals, and some foam between the engine and skid-plate... oh yes, that is going to be a problem... at the beginning of last week I ordered an aluminum skid-plate from Flatland Racing in the US - no problem I thought, shipping in 7-10 days... only this bloody Volcano has grounded flights into Europe the past five days, and I reckon my skid plate is in a DHL depot somewhere, waiting to catch the next flight... I really doubt it will arrive in time now, so I'm going to have to think of something quick-sharp and find something suitable in stock in the UK, as even a Meca'system plate (via Desert Rose Racing) would need to come from France...

But for tonight, the bike has been put to bed... as so should I!

J xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 05:38 PM
Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #59
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
when does the lorry pick you up?? lol ... maybe Patsy will let you stow away on hers...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #60
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
when does the lorry pick you up?? lol ... maybe Patsy will let you stow away on hers...
You laugh, but that is looking like the #1 contingency at the moment... it's not so much of a problem for me, as I have to drop the bike to Patsy early next week anyway, and physically that would mean I can get to the ferry port in Marseille with the support crew, even if it is in the back of the truck...

However, the real logistical problem if for the other riders on the Desert Rose team, one of which is coming from Canada, and another two from Europe... I just hope the airspace re-opens and the back-log is cleared by the end of next week!

I see the MotoGP this weekend has been postponed... You couldn't make it up could you?

J xx